If the Shadow paint color were titled "black", would that offend anyone?

esem17

I don't think so. Calling it shadow had nothing to do with race, and everything to do with the colour itself. Petpets can be painted black (see here), and as you can see they are entirely black. The thing with shadow is that it (where possible) incorporates purple. Hence, it a pet painted shadow isn't all black, so the paintbrush couldn't rightfully be called that.

I mean it's not offensive for me to talk about my black cat....I don't know how a black kacheek would be any different. A black paint brush would simply refer to the color on a color chart.

Thanks! I was just wondering why there wasn't any "black" pets, I mean there's skunk, and shadow, and recently the stealthy leads to darker colors, but there is no black, and I thought maybe that might've been a reason. Just a random thought I wanted input on

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not black, so I can't speak as to whether that would offend, but I do think that just calling a color "black" might be kind of "meh"- aka boring. There are so many different ways to name a black or darker greyscale color scheme, you know? Such as shadow, etc.

I see no reason why a dark-skinned person would be offended simply because a paint color was labeled "black". The notion is ludicrous - I don't see anyone complaining about "White", "Yellow", "Red", or "Brown" paintbrushes.

Neopets would have to do something blatantly racist to garner complaints, such as make references to black caricatures (Sambo, Mammy, etc.) or make black jokes. As simply calling a color black is trivial in comparison, I don't think there is a debate to be had. Unless Neopets is indeed guilty of propagating anti-black bigotry, such a complaint should be regarded as despicable.

I really don't think it would be bad at all... I mean it's just a description. I think color only gets offensive when there are stereotypes -- especially derogatory ones -- involved. I think the reason Neo hasn't made a black PB for pet is it would have to differ from shadow and skunk, and without any lightness or color, it would be hard to make the pet look good and defined.

I agree with mariaelise, unless there was something negative about pets being painted black included the the item's description or something, it would not be offensive. There's nothing wrong with referring to things as black paintbrushes or black coffee table or whatever as long as the item is actually the color black. If there was a paintbrush that gave pets characteristics of a sambo figurine or dreadlocks and they called THAT one the Black Paintbrush, then that would be extremely racist and offensive and I would quit the site.

I agree with mariaelise, unless there was something negative about pets being painted black included the the item's description or something, it would not be offensive. There's nothing wrong with referring to things as black paintbrushes or black coffee table or whatever as long as the item is actually the color black. If there was a paintbrush that gave pets characteristics of a sambo figurine or dreadlocks and they called THAT one the Black Paintbrush, then that would be extremely racist and offensive and I would quit the site.

If Neopets did this, the site may be shut down and someone people would enter a world of pain. In the professional world, it is very important for a business not to ruin their public image in this matter. Game of Thrones references is one thing, but this is another. You can pretty much bank on the fact that Neopets would never do this.

I see no reason why a dark-skinned person would be offended simply because a paint color was labeled "black". The notion is ludicrous - I don't see anyone complaining about "White", "Yellow", "Red", or "Brown" paintbrushes.

Neopets would have to do something blatantly racist to garner complaints, such as make references to black caricatures (Sambo, Mammy, etc.) or make black jokes. As simply calling a color black is trivial in comparison, I don't think there is a debate to be had. Unless Neopets is indeed guilty of propagating anti-black bigotry, such a complaint should be regarded as despicable.

You do not get to decide what is and isn't offensive.

I agree with many people. Because my skin is basically as white as it can get, I shouldn't have a say as to whether or not it is offensive.