Had to put down one of my cats this morning.

CurlyFreys

My mom woke me up this morning by telling me to get her purse for her and open the door for her while she carried one of my cats all bundled up in a blanket. She just told me something was wrong with him and that he was bleeding from his butt pretty heavily.

She didn't call me back for a while, but I wasn't really nervous. I figured he would be okay. Then I got a call from my mom saying that she had made the call to put him down.

Initially I was furious, not because she put him down but because she hadn't come to get me beforehand so that I could say goodbye.

So I cried for a long time and snuggled my other cat.

Then my mom got home and talked to me.

They found dozens of tumors in his stomach chub. They said they multiplied really quickly and there was nothing they could do. They could be removed but they would keep coming back.

So they put him down.

It's heartbreaking to know that he isn't here anymore.

I've never dealt with death well. Simply because it is so strange to me that someone or something I saw so much doesn't exist anymore and that I will never see them again.

It breaks my heart even more to know that he had been suffering and we had no idea.

I hope he didn't think we didn't love him enough to get him help because we really didn't know. The vet even said up until that point there most likely wouldn't have been any indicators that there was anything wrong with him.

I have another cat, named Simba [yes I know, very original, I was in 7th grade when I got him.] who was my very first pet. I have always been closer with Simba than I was with Wrigley [the one we had to put down] as Wrigley was my Mom's buddy.

Simba has been wandering around all day crying and it's breaking my heart to think that he doesn't understand where his friend has gone or that he does and he misses him.

We are currently in the middle of moving from Ohio to Florida but as soon as we get to Florida, I am taking Simba to a vet to get checked, simply because I am worried now. He seems healthy but who knows.

I'm just scared that they are going to find something wrong with him and I am going to lose both my babies.

I am sorry for the long post. I just needed somewhere to vent.

3127ql0.jpg2qas35y.jpg

Wrigley [the lighter coloured one.] He was very pretty wasn't he? :[

Simba misses his buddy.

I'm very sorry about your Wrigley, he was very lovely.

I had to put my cat down a few years ago. He was also ginger. I still miss him every day, but I know that it is better for me to miss him than for him to have been alive but unhappy and unhealthy. Hope you and your mum feel better soon :)

*hugs* I am so sorry about Wrigley. He was a beautiful cat. Animals can mourn the loss of a friend, and I don't doubt that Simba is doing just that. He'll look for Wrigley for a while, cry, and eventually accept that he's gone.

Wrigley is in a better place with no pain. He is watching over you.

I'm so sorry about Wrigley. He truly was a beautiful cat, and a beloved part of your life. Honestly, I don't know what I would do if something happened to my babies, but the only comfort is that he isn't suffering anymore. I pray that you and your family find peace with his passing and know that the wounds of his loss will get better in time.

Sending you a world of love, dearie.

Awe my condolences for your kitty! At least he won't be suffering now. It's always hard to lose a pet, they become family and we get so attached to them.

About three years ago we decided to put our oldest dog down. She was about 11 years old and her health just started going downhill and she went fast. She went blind, we believe she was diabetic and her kidneys were failing towards the end. We knew she was suffering and it was to the point that we had to carry her outside to go to the bathroom, carry her back in and she would just lay on her blanket on the floor. My husband and I came to the decision to put her to sleep. We had a certain medication and we overdosed her on it. Essentially it put her into a deep sleep and stopped her heart. My husband built her a box, we laid a blanket on the bottom for her and put her stuffed bunny toy in her arms. She is buried in our yard right in my flower bed. This year I bought a garden stone that says something like, "Best friends are those who leave paw prints on your heart." Occasionally I will burn lavender or sandalwood incense by her to bless her and the area. Also on special holidays I always light a big white candle to represent her life. I miss her dearly, but my little ritualistic things help keep her close. About 6 years ago she had a littler of pups and we kept one, Mouse. So we still have part of her around and hope to get Mouse bred so she can have a litter of pups and continue the family line. :)

I'm sorry to hear about you're cat :( I had to put my best friend down this past winter as well. I'd had my cat since i was 3, so it was heart breaking and i cried for months after. At least he's not suffering and in pain now though! My heart goes out to you sweetie!

I'm sorry you didn't get to say goodbye. I know that feeling. Last year, my mom put my dog down. She said it was because 'she was getting old'. She told me she did it because she "had" to be outside all the time (even though that was my mom's decision; Oreo had a leaky bladder because she got hit by a car. No one else wanted her outside.) and my mom was going on vacation so she'd be alone all the time.

The first reason this upset me is because she never told me she put her down. I learned that a year later. She just told me 'she died.' I blamed her for leaving her outside one day when it snowed... but no she put Oreo down and everyone else told me they didn't want her to; but she didn't ask anybody. She just told everybody after the fact.

The second reason this upset me is because I live in a farm area and I wanted to take my dog with me, but my mom refused to let me have her because 'it would be too traumatic to move her around so much.'

The third reason this upset me is the worst... she never put down her own dog. He had cancer and kidney failure. He was fat and weezing and hardly able to move on his own at all. She let him die in her arms on a walk one day. She didn't put him down. But she put my dog, who wasn't in any pain, down.

• 1 month later...

My mom woke me up this morning by telling me to get her purse for her and open the door for her while she carried one of my cats all bundled up in a blanket. She just told me something was wrong with him and that he was bleeding from his butt pretty heavily.

She didn't call me back for a while, but I wasn't really nervous. I figured he would be okay. Then I got a call from my mom saying that she had made the call to put him down.

Initially I was furious, not because she put him down but because she hadn't come to get me beforehand so that I could say goodbye.

So I cried for a long time and snuggled my other cat.

Then my mom got home and talked to me.

They found dozens of tumors in his stomach chub. They said they multiplied really quickly and there was nothing they could do. They could be removed but they would keep coming back.

So they put him down.

It's heartbreaking to know that he isn't here anymore.

I've never dealt with death well. Simply because it is so strange to me that someone or something I saw so much doesn't exist anymore and that I will never see them again.

It breaks my heart even more to know that he had been suffering and we had no idea.

I hope he didn't think we didn't love him enough to get him help because we really didn't know. The vet even said up until that point there most likely wouldn't have been any indicators that there was anything wrong with him.

I have another cat, named Simba [yes I know, very original, I was in 7th grade when I got him.] who was my very first pet. I have always been closer with Simba than I was with Wrigley [the one we had to put down] as Wrigley was my Mom's buddy.

Simba has been wandering around all day crying and it's breaking my heart to think that he doesn't understand where his friend has gone or that he does and he misses him.

We are currently in the middle of moving from Ohio to Florida but as soon as we get to Florida, I am taking Simba to a vet to get checked, simply because I am worried now. He seems healthy but who knows.

I'm just scared that they are going to find something wrong with him and I am going to lose both my babies.

I am sorry for the long post. I just needed somewhere to vent.

3127ql0.jpg2qas35y.jpg

Wrigley [the lighter coloured one.] He was very pretty wasn't he? :[

Simba misses his buddy.

Awww, I'm so sorry to hear that :( I've had a cat that got lost and I never got him back, so I've never dealt with the death of a pet-pal. But my grandparents both died in the last year and that was tough to say the least for many reasons, specially because I didn't get to say goodbye to my Grandma, so I know some of what you're going though.

I'm not religious in the least, but there is a scientific saying that says so far with what we know, energy doesn't get destroyed, only transfered. So everything that made up Wrigley is out there somewhere, perhaps in a flower outside your house, perhaps in a new born kitten or just in their air itself. He's still out there in our big wide world, as is every pet-person and person lost to time, disease and ageing.

I know dealing with death is never easy (honestly, I don't think anyone is "good" with it, we're not supposed to be ok with death), but I feel it helps to know that in at least someway, be it energy transfer, photos, videos or just memories, Wrigley is still around and every precious and awesome moment you had with him, your mom had with him and Simba had with him, happened. And nothing can take that away.