Is it time for me to get a new PS3?

Naamah D.

Last night I was playing Deadpool and when I was trying to play the game there was no sound. I didn't have the TV on mute and then the sound came back after retrying an objective. Then today I went to play Dishonored and it was taking forever to load. The screen wasn't frozen, but it just wasn't loading. Then when I got frustrated I quit the game and then the PS3 turned off. I tried again and the same thing happened with the same game. I've had it since I was 17 and I'm 20 now and am very worried that I'll have to devote my Christmas list to a new PS3. I really don't want a PS4 because there's no backwards compatibility and I'd much rather buy this PS3 and wait for quite some time to buy a PS4.

I'll totally buy the Uncharted 3 PS3 bundle. My current PS3 is a PS3 160 GB Slim. What should I do?

If I have to replace my PS3, that will be one heck of a Nay.

How much did you play those games? Have you tried with games that you didn't play (much)?

I'm asking so you won't go ask/buy a new ps3 before making sure it's not the games that are the problem.

How much did you play those games? Have you tried with games that you didn't play (much)?

I'm asking so you won't go ask/buy a new ps3 before making sure it's not the games that are the problem.

Since I didn't play Dishonored until today (even though I've played in in the past) , I'm not sure how far I am. I don't think I'm too far into Deadpool either as far as I know. One time Mortal Kombat blacked out, but I play Mortal Kombat more often than Deadpool and Dishonored. With the games I play very frequently (Tekken 6, Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3, Twisted Metal even though it froze on time.) normally don't do that kind of thing. Skyrim has froze on me, but I haven't played it for quite some time,

Hmz, Could be the disk reader of the ps3. Have you tried cleaning it? Make sure there isn't too much dust inside. Also, I don't know if there are smokers in your house (or if you burn candles close by the ps3) but smoke is also very bad. You could try to dust the inside and use a cleaning disk. If that doesn't help, maybe there are stores that can try to fix it? If you would go for the option of getting it fixed, make sure to ask how much it would cost before hand and think if it's worth it!

If none of that works, and fixing it is too expensive you could also try to get a secondhand one that hasn't been used to much. (Make sure you're allowed to see it work before buying!)

First off, I'm glad that you find the PS3 so alluring that you'd rather get another PS3 as opposed to a PS4.

Also, I had no idea that the PS4 wasn't backwards compatible.

Maybe later on they'll allow you to download a free patch for it like some PS3 users had to do.

My PS3 (my second PS3) was used before, so it didn't surprise me when my sound would go out also.

It happened rarely and eventually fixed itself, so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

The other things are of some concern.

I would take it in, see if someone can find something wrong with it, and if the "damage" is more than half the price it would cost to buy a used PS3 then just buy a used PS3. They usually test them out and try not to sell terrible systems.

Most used systems are from Xbox fans that were unable to see the glory of the PS3. :U

Just kidding, but there usually isn't much wrong with used systems, and they'll usually tell you if there is (at GameStop at least).

I've had my used PS3 for about 3 years now and I've had minimal problems. The sound stops very rarely like I've said before, and it's only a problem with certain games, and that's it.

It's the fat model. I don't even trust slim models of PS3s or PS2s anymore. They always die on me. I mean, yeah our fat model of the PS2 died, but that was after a long time as opposed to the two slim PS2 models we bought that both died in a matter of months.

Your PS3 has lasted for a long time though, so hopefully just knowing that is enough to make you think, "Yeah man, you've done your job and you've done it well." In order for an item to pass as durable, it has to work for at least 2 years, and your PS3 has definitely proven itself to be durable. ouo

To sum all of that up, take your PS3 in for a check up; if fixing it is too expensive then try to buy a used model. Totally recommending the older model. Don't worry, your PS3 has done its job.

Sorry I typed way too much. Good luck!

First off, I'm glad that you find the PS3 so alluring that you'd rather get another PS3 as opposed to a PS4.

Also, I had no idea that the PS4 wasn't backwards compatible.

Maybe later on they'll allow you to download a free patch for it like some PS3 users had to do.

My PS3 (my second PS3) was used before, so it didn't surprise me when my sound would go out also.

It happened rarely and eventually fixed itself, so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

The other things are of some concern.

I would take it in, see if someone can find something wrong with it, and if the "damage" is more than half the price it would cost to buy a used PS3 then just buy a used PS3. They usually test them out and try not to sell terrible systems.

Most used systems are from Xbox fans that were unable to see the glory of the PS3. :U

Just kidding, but there usually isn't much wrong with used systems, and they'll usually tell you if there is (at GameStop at least).

I've had my used PS3 for about 3 years now and I've had minimal problems. The sound stops very rarely like I've said before, and it's only a problem with certain games, and that's it.

It's the fat model. I don't even trust slim models of PS3s or PS2s anymore. They always die on me. I mean, yeah our fat model of the PS2 died, but that was after a long time as opposed to the two slim PS2 models we bought that both died in a matter of months.

Your PS3 has lasted for a long time though, so hopefully just knowing that is enough to make you think, "Yeah man, you've done your job and you've done it well." In order for an item to pass as durable, it has to work for at least 2 years, and your PS3 has definitely proven itself to be durable. ouo

To sum all of that up, take your PS3 in for a check up; if fixing it is too expensive then try to buy a used model. Totally recommending the older model. Don't worry, your PS3 has done its job.

Sorry I typed way too much. Good luck!

I actually don't want to get any of the new consoles. I'll probably be XBOX 360, PS3 and Wii until I'm 40 years old!

Anyway, I'm sure it's fine. My brother has an MW2 XBOX for years and it still works. Maybe I'm just overreacting :(

I really don't want a PS4 because there's no backwards compatibility and I'd much rather buy this PS3 and wait for quite some time to buy a PS4.

I haven't been keeping up with the news, and I'm so disappointed to hear this. I'm definitely going to wait a few years to get a PS4, then. It also means I'm going to be buying yet another PS2.

I would try not to panic too much. It sounds like what you're experiencing is pretty normal. I'd start keeping track of when you play and how often you experience problems.

The first thing I would do is make it install the most recent update again. My PS3 hates updating, and I've had tons of stupid glitches from them not installing correctly, including one time that games wouldn't load. If you don't do this already, it's a good idea to clean it. I would start by reading the manual, which has some good tips for cleaning your PS3.

Last night I was playing Deadpool and when I was trying to play the game there was no sound. I didn't have the TV on mute and then the sound came back after retrying an objective. Then today I went to play Dishonored and it was taking forever to load. The screen wasn't frozen, but it just wasn't loading. Then when I got frustrated I quit the game and then the PS3 turned off. I tried again and the same thing happened with the same game. I've had it since I was 17 and I'm 20 now and am very worried that I'll have to devote my Christmas list to a new PS3. I really don't want a PS4 because there's no backwards compatibility and I'd much rather buy this PS3 and wait for quite some time to buy a PS4.

I'll totally buy the Uncharted 3 PS3 bundle. My current PS3 is a PS3 160 GB Slim. What should I do?

If I have to replace my PS3, that will be one heck of a Nay.

Just wait till ps4

This post has been edited by a member of staff (Rune Valentine) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Please keep your posts at 7 words or above.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

It could be as simple as cleaning the disk reader, as Duma said. The sound may actually just be a cord acting up. For me, when I play games on my ps3, there's this weird glitchy thing the light / colour does, and fixing that is just adjusting the cord plugged in to the back of the ps3.. Maybe it's something like that with the sound? It may still do good to get your ps3 checked on, though.

In my opinion, I'd wait.. Once the PS4 comes out the PS3 will get a price cut and it would be smarter to wait. IDK but do you what you want :)

That's what I'll most likely do. I'm just going to keep buying PS3 consoles and games for a very long time. There's just so many games I haven't played that are on the PS3, XBOX 360 and Wii :)

Does anyone know the average lifespan of the PS3, XBOX 360 and Wii?