Brackets are So Unfair

Hopefully Maraqua and Terror Mountain can push Meridell out of place.

i hope so too, but it'll take a lot of work.

Something is seriously wrong with the bracket system. I play for DC and we have had a pretty fair year. KI AND RI however have had a very difficult time while meridel has been on easy street. I wanted to see the results for my self so I added up all the points from the matches and ordered them from first to last then compared it to the actual results. This is what I ve got since June 13. TY has 428 total and should be in first with altador in second with 372. In the actual results meridel is in 3rd but should be in 7th with 252 points. RI is in 4th but should be in 3rd with 288 points. Surprisingly Tm should be in 4th with 258 but they re in 10th! What's up with that! KI is in 4th but should be fifth with 255 followed by DC with 253. The rest of the results are pretty scattered. MO should be in 15! Come on TNT the places are way off!

Something is seriously wrong with the bracket system. I play for DC and we have had a pretty fair year. KI AND RI however have had a very difficult time while meridel has been on easy street. I wanted to see the results for my self so I added up all the points from the matches and ordered them from first to last then compared it to the actual results. This is what I ve got since June 13. TY has 428 total and should be in first with altador in second with 372. In the actual results meridel is in 3rd but should be in 7th with 252 points. RI is in 4th but should be in 3rd with 288 points. Surprisingly Tm should be in 4th with 258 but they re in 10th! What's up with that! KI is in 4th but should be fifth with 255 followed by DC with 253. The rest of the results are pretty scattered. MO should be in 15! Come on TNT the places are way off!

You do know that each day Altador.com updates the total points right?

You do know that each day Altador.com updates the total points right?

And that you need to tone down your comments?

That aside, using YYB as 3x pts. as a side game, and using margins, here are the results.

TY- 654

AL- 601

TM- 471 (!!!)

RI- 471

KI- 417

DC- 402

MD- 400

MQ- 398

KD- 388

HW- 387 (Down 1 place after their disappointing performance against KD)

KL- 368

BV- 364 (BV won against DC, 26-25, in other words, DC slacked. DC usually gets ~30 pts.)

SK- 351

LD- 335

VP- 330 (Winning YYB by 1 isn't enough)

MT- 301

FL- 290

MI- 290

And that you need to tone down your comments?

That aside, using YYB as 3x pts. as a side game, and using margins, here are the results.

TY- 654

AL- 601

TM- 471 (!!!)

RI- 471

KI- 417

DC- 402

MD- 400

MQ- 398

KD- 388

HW- 387 (Down 1 place after their disappointing performance against KD)

KL- 368

BV- 364 (BV won against DC, 26-25, in other words, DC slacked. DC usually gets ~30 pts.)

SK- 351

LD- 335

VP- 330 (Winning YYB by 1 isn't enough)

MT- 301

FL- 290

MI- 290

Buzz off dude!

KI and RI should battle for third. Oddly you guys beat KI but they placed higher in standings. :P

If we keep getting 2nd and and never go in the same bracket then we would eventually have to face each other in the Tie-Breaker (which i forgot about until now)

Why on earth is Meridell still ranked first in its bracket? That should go to TM, and Maraqua should probably be ranked ahead of them as well. TNT, this system is so broken, it looks like it was coded by a kid in his first week of Computer Science I, a kid who never saw a sporting event and had only a very rudimentary grasp of statistics.

RI should be ranked ahead of Meridell in the overall standings. We've beaten more teams -- teams they faced and lost to.

If this were similar to most sporting events, strength of victory should only matter as a tiebreaker. If a team managed to sweep every single other team, even if they only did it by 1 point in each game, don't you think that would prove they were the best team, compared to a team that racked up some monster numbers sometimes, but was more inconsistent and had lost various games? TM has lost to too many teams to deserve 3rd, despite the strength of their recent performance. I do think they deserve higher than they currently are -- much higher (many of the teams above them have also lost, after all)..

Why on earth is Meridell still ranked first in its bracket? That should go to TM, and Maraqua should probably be ranked ahead of them as well. TNT, this system is so broken, it looks like it was coded by a kid in his first week of Computer Science I, a kid who never saw a sporting event and had only a very rudimentary grasp of statistics.

RI should be ranked ahead of Meridell in the overall standings. We've beaten more teams -- teams they faced and lost to.

If this were similar to most sporting events, strength of victory should only matter as a tiebreaker. If a team managed to sweep every single other team, even if they only did it by 1 point in each game, don't you think that would prove they were the best team, compared to a team that racked up some monster numbers sometimes, but was more inconsistent and had lost various games? TM has lost to too many teams to deserve 3rd, despite the strength of their recent performance. I do think they deserve higher than they currently are -- much higher (many of the teams above them have also lost, after all)..

I only used it because TNT had some teams face twice and others not at all. If this was SRR or something, I would never have bothered.

Terror Mountain SHOULD be placed higher than MD and MQ in this bracket because so far this whole round, we've only dropped two games compared to MQ's four and MD's SIX. The only thing I can think of is that we had such dismal results for the first week of the tournament but considering our track record now, and who we're up against in this bracket, it does feel like we should be higher than third.

Umm, you guys should be in 5th. The four teams ahead of you have done better than you have (and we've all played the same teams, except that we each have already played our "partner" while the others haven't). I don't know why you got the points for first in your last bracket; you definitely did not have the best record during that round. Of course, if you do better than you have been and manage to beat some of the teams in our bracket, you might get to move up. If TNT lets things move in the brackets based on results this time...

It doesn't make sense that we're 4th in our bracket. We should at least be 3rd. I know this round just began and there could still be some movement, but the only time I've ever really noticed movement in a bracket is when HW put us in last place at the end of the first bracket.

AgJu, Kreludor shot up from last to 3rd in the Minitheus bracket last round, on the bye day. I agree; I don't know why your bracket didn't move last time. Hopefully this time they will.

Well I mostly just keep track of my team's results so I didn't see that. :p

I'm really hoping we can move up because like I said, the way we've been performing lately, especially after the last round, 4th seems like a slap in the face.

Here are the Daily Results. Meridell gets by Swept Altador :( Thid day in a row :(

Mt Vs KD

KD-KD-KD-KD

DC vs TM

TM-TM-TM-TM\

FL vs MQ

MQ-MQ-MQ-MQ

SK vs MI

SK-SK-MI-SK

BV vs LD

BV-BV-LD-LD

VP vs HW

VP-VP-HW-HW

AL vs MD

AL-AL-AL-AL

KI vs KL

KL-KL-KL-KI

TY vs RI

TY-RI-TY-RI

At least this year we were lucky enough to face each team at least once - unlike last year where DC never played against teams like MI or MD. But I guess we and Kreludor will be bracket buddies for life. *sigh* I still think the double round robins were better. The Cup was a bit longer that way but at least we had each team twice, only wins losses and draws counted (and not with how much point difference you won) and if you knew the calculation table then you could easily calculate how many wins would be needed (and losses by other teams) to secure your position or climb up in the standings. Oh yeah... the good old days that may not return.

I think a decent system would be a single round robin, followed by a short playoff style bracket of sets of 4 teams to determine the final rankings (didn't they used to have something like this?). The two extra teams means that the bottom bracket would have 6 teams; on a bye day for everyone else, 4 of those teams could play to see who gets into the bottom bracket (teams 13-14 getting guaranteed spots), with the two remaining teams facing each other twice for the fight to not be last. The play-in day could also be used to settle any virtual ties (within playoff brackets, but also --especially -- across brackets, so that if 4th and 5th were tied, they could battle to see who would go into the top bracket and who would be stuck fighting to maintain 5th). It would take 17 days for the round robin (+ some bye days thrown in), plus 1 day for the play-in games, plus 2-4 days for the play-offs, depending on whether you wanted battles to last 1 or 2 days. The total Cup would only last 20-22 days of playing (about 24-28 with bye days).

It would give every team a chance to face each other, base rankings solely on overall record (vs. who's in your bracket), make the Cup a little shorter (not by a ton, but just enough), and allow teams that got a late start to redeem themselves a bit in the playoffs.

If Kreludor gets third place I will kick myself for switching teams this year :D

What I don't understand is that Kreludor doesn't seem to have a very vocal support at all. Even when I was with Kreludor last year, nobody really talked about them. There's barely a support topic on this forum. Why is that when they are such a high scoring team?

If Kreludor gets third place I will kick myself for switching teams this year :D

What I don't understand is that Kreludor doesn't seem to have a very vocal support at all. Even when I was with Kreludor last year, nobody really talked about them. There's barely a support topic on this forum. Why is that when they are such a high scoring team?

Hmm...I hadn't really thought about it. I love Kreludor and love to see them succeed.

Now its obvious how much Tyrannia is cheating. 23 IN SS? That's unthinkable. If TNT is so freaking blind and doesn't notice it OR doesnt do anything about it, then this could be the most unfair AC ever... (Not counting AC I)