Age of players on neopets?

AJ11

I often wonder what percentage of people playing on Neopia are what ages.

Im most definitely mature and get a bit of light hearted teasing from my hubby about playing, yet I see a lot of older people around on Neopets and I wondered if there were any statistics anywhere that I could see.

I tend to think that there used to be a lot more younger players and that many have stayed or returned and now Neopets is more popular among older people - but of course I have no data to check if this is true.

Any ideas?

I'm 25 and I played from time to time in my early to mid teens.

I get teased by my husband about it, but it's less about age and more to do with the fact that it's a browser-based game.

If I told anyone else, I'd probably get a fair amount of ridicule.

It'd be cool to see a statistic but I don't think one would ever show up. Or an accurate one anyway. I'm 21 and I've been playing Neo since I was 10-11 years old.

Judging from posts here on TDN, I'd say there's a very wide range. I've seen young players here (under 13) all the way to grandparents.

You could always create a poll on your post here, and see what kind of responses you get. Of course, it would only reflect TDN users, but it'd possibly give a decent idea of a portion of Neopets users.

I'm nearly 28 and I've been playing since I was 16.

I'm 23, and I've been playing for 12 years- nearly half of my life at this point. :3

I'm 23 as well and started playing when I was 12. I see a lot of older-ish kids and young adults around the site (ages 16-30). Many of us grew up on neopets, so people who started in the early days of the site and are still playing are all getting older. From what I've seen (maybe it's just because of the areas of the site I visit), I see more 16+ than <16 people on Neo. There are some aspects of the site that are tedious or complex, and I think it would be difficult for people younger than... maybe 12 or 13 to fully understand or be able to do. The one thing I really like about the site is that it brings together people of all ages and backgrounds, and can be played together by families as well. There aren't a lot of sites out there like that.

I'd just turned eight when I found the site and now I'm 20, but I agree with Emily that while there are many young players, it's hard to be successful (with the plots etc.) if you're still just a youngster. Most likely, the people that you come across, whether through trading or KQ or whatever else, are probably teens or adults. When I found the site I had no idea what I was doing.. just played Kacheek seek all day as far as I remember :p

So, the site probably has mostly young people, you're just less likely to come across them.

Just turned 22, been playing since I was 12. Honestly, most of the accounts I encounter on Neopets are of mature adults or people in their late teens. Most of the really hardcore players (the best BD-ers, people with a wall of trophies, full galleries,top of the Avatar collector high scores table and so on) are adults. When I was 12 I found the website overwhelming and earning NP very hard. Now it is a whole different story.

Really interesting and the idea of starting a poll seems like a good one, though as the poster said it will be a poll of TDN users rather than Neopets generally but still an indication I guess.

I'm 20. I started playing when I was 9 on my first account. I did take a few years off once, and then months every now and then. But myself and several of my friends from college all sit together once we've finished exams or homework and play. lol. I definitely agree with Nimphal. When I was younger, everything on neopets was really overwhelming, and found getting np very difficult. Admittedly, I still find earning np rather difficult, but that's because I'm really bad at the games XD Most of my np I earn through selling items, and through dailies.

I'm 23 and I've been playing since I was 11. Wow - I just realized that that's over half of my life! I think Neopets also has a lot of nostalgia for people who had played it as a kid so it brings us all back eventually, even after a long hiatus :)

I'm 23 going on 24 in two months and I've been playing since I was 13 years old. Luckily I had just turned 13 about two weeks before I joined Neopets so I got to do all of the fun things like spin the wheels and such pretty much as soon as I started playing. Back then I felt "rich" by having just 10k NP. So like a lot of people here, I've been playing for about half my life.

I'm 16, but I started my account when I was 10. A friend suggested it to me, and I enjoyed just playing casually on it for a couple of years. After a hiatus, I came back and realized just how much the site has to offer... And now I'm way more dedicated to it. :D

I'll be 27 at the end of the year and I first started playing when they launched. It was right before my 13th birthday. I had just moved to Wyoming that summer and I remember that it was a great way to escape reality (along with roleplaying at Herds of Horses) because I didn't have many friends yet. But I get bored easily, so I've played sporadically throughout the years. I came back this time because I needed to escape the real world again. Plus everyone on the forums is much nicer than most of the people I encounter in my day-to-day life =)

I'm 24 and I've been playing on and off since I was 14. I think the longest I've been without playing would be close to a year, but I always seem to come back.

So far, I seem to be the only one who is actually around the age the site is aimed at :P

I'm 13 and have been playing since I was 8 or 9 years old.

Same here. (:

A mostly-immature 14 year old here, turning 15 on November. I've started playing since I was 10 (a month before I turned 11) when my older sister introduced me to Neopets. My first, short hiatus started from December 2009 to January 2010, and then my much-longer second hiatus started around mid-to-late 2011, not even last year's AC could save me from inactivity! Hopefully I can get back to playing Neopets full-time again.