*Very* Overpriced Shops

Angeló

I noticed many shops , especially those Neo-Malls , selling items for way above the going price .. for example a Forgotten Shore Map Piece for 40k !! and a Red Ogrin MP for 90k !! ... They sometimes buy from me then re-sell for a higher price .. if I wanted to sell for that price , I would've :P but my question is : how do they make any money ?? are there really people who buy thrse over-priced items ?

I know a few mall shop owners and I do know their stocks move quite a bit during the day/week.

They are basically making money off new members/members that don't know to refresh the SW to get the lowest prices. If you notice, their shops are huge (size 1000+) that lets their shops show up at the top of the market (if you go to the Neopian Marketplace) and they have Ads posted on the Ad Board. This takes advantage of those who don't have much experience in buying from user shops, and also those people who don't want to bother having to SW quest items and just have shops bookmarked for one-stop shopping,

Its happened to me before;

They set common items like faerie quest things low so that when youre looking for it they come up. and then out of curiosity you scroll through because you see its a big shop. you see X item that you've never seen before, or that you've kind of wanted (maybe it's a book) and impulsively buy it, before you check the price. Its marked up a fair bit so every sale they make makes it worth doing again.

My personal opinion is that people who are neorich, and I mean really neorich, like 300mil or more buy from these shops because they simply don't care how much they are spending and they like that there is a huge variety of items. When you have that much NP's to splurge I guess it's more out of convience than anything.

what i think epople are doing is try to "trick" people into buying,Like fore someone "oh look a red orgin potion for 90k :ohno: I better get it quick :shiftyeyes_anim: " Such as that since Its a Morphing potion They think that thats a good deal because they might See MP priced

Other than that it might be they just don't know the price

My personal opinion is that people who are neorich, and I mean really neorich, like 300mil or more buy from these shops because they simply don't care how much they are spending and they like that there is a huge variety of items. When you have that much NP's to splurge I guess it's more out of convience than anything.

I know a lot of rich people, they are the ones that hesitate to spend and spend wisely. Like this user on boards who is spending NP on all R-99's.

Sometimes - and by that I mean very rarely - I go to buy books for V00D00 ... I happen upon a shop with lots of books ... I check its prices and if I find that at least 3 of the books are below SW , I buy a lot from them .. it means they made an effort to price their items ... but i won't buy from a shop with books that are clearly overpriced :D

What I don't understand is how they make enough profit to buy space on the ad board! They might make some profit off noobs, impulsives, and the lazy*, but how is it ever enough to afford that space and STILL make profit? I don't get it.

*No judgement passed on noobs, imulsives, and lazies. I've been all 3 at different moments.

Maybe the goal isn't to sell. Maybe the goal is to have a complete set, and they don't want to put it in the gallery.

This used to be the case a few years back, so I can see the interest. But with the galleries, why wouldn't they switch over?

I think a lot of the high prices are meant to attract other people. Such as those new to Neopets who see this mall and think "I'll bookmark them because they seem to have everything" And will only buy from that mall's shop and other shops connected to it.

I know it works like that because about 8 years ago that's what I did... because I didn't know any better xD

What I don't understand is how they make enough profit to buy space on the ad board! They might make some profit off noobs, impulsives, and the lazy*, but how is it ever enough to afford that space and STILL make profit? I don't get it.

*No judgement passed on noobs, imulsives, and lazies. I've been all 3 at different moments.

they're restocking wizards mainly and sell all kinds of crap on the TP as well :D