why do so many people collect avatars?

moldybread

It's a challenge and they are like little trophies displaying rare accomplishments! :3 It's addicting and it's a constant goal to work towards.

But I believe that originally they were implemented to distract users from the board changes. Back in the day, it wasn't popular when they got rid of 'General Chat', and altered how the boards looked.

Personally, I'm a serial collector. I love collecting things. Like Dynohawk said, about collecting them all. When I played Pokemon for the first time, I wanted to get one of each. (Which got me a weird look from my husband, that's been playing Pokemon most of his life) With phone games like Tiny Monsters and Dragonvale, I want one of each possible monster/dragon, even if I don't end up keeping it.

But along with the mentions of it's a nice goal to work towards, it also requires different things to collect them. It includes persistence of refreshing for random ones, earning NP for the expensive/NP related ones, time/dedication for being active and taking part in events, a bit of luck and persistence for random daily ones, gaming skills for the game avatars, NP/time/willingness for training for BD ones. Plus, there's just the variety of clickable and pet/petpet ones.

It's like a collection. You know, like collecting baseball cards and trying to catch the rarest one (so that you can show others how expensive that one is, you worked hard for it) and even all of them to brag or boast. To prove your mastery.

I don't know. It's extremely fun and a great challenge. c: My friend is trying to catch up with me, but I refuse to let that happen. ;D Right now my other friend has 4 more avatars than me. I'm trying to catch up, but I'm horrible at games. That's all what I basically need is game avatars. It can be frustrating at times, but trust me.. it's fun. c:

I definitely agree that it's a goal to work towards. And I like what Spritzie said: different avatars require different kinds of effort. The patience to refresh or do the same daily consistantly (sometimes for years), the perseverence to play the same game repeatedly, the will to save enough to buy a certain item. When I get a new avatar, I feel simultaneously accomplished and determined to get the next one!

But I believe that originally they were implemented to distract users from the board changes. Back in the day, it wasn't popular when they got rid of 'General Chat', and altered how the boards looked.

My theory is that they were introduced to combat inflation and influence the price of certain items. Some (wheels, dailies, aisha treasure, gourmet etc) require you to spend NP daily. And some require you to read a certain book/eat a certain food, which removes the item from the market, AND makes the item more desireable because people want the avatar. It drives up the price twice as quickly! At the same time, there are ones like the forgotten shore, which I think replace a lot of that money.... so who knows.

I'm a really casual avatar (I just really care about the count, but will collect if I'm really bored), but some users see it more than just bragging rights: it's used to look if the user is serious about their account (just as owning a UC pet, or having a lot of trophies). It's sometimes used when players are looking for new fosters for their pets, or joining guilds.

You can ask the same of why do people do anything on Neopets- and it's because they want to. I enjoy the satisfaction of each avatar- especially as it is getting harder and harder to get them now. I have my eye on the Avatar Collector Avatar- it's like the holy grail of avatar collectors!

You can ask the same of why do people do anything on Neopets- and it's because they want to. I enjoy the satisfaction of each avatar- especially as it is getting harder and harder to get them now. I have my eye on the Avatar Collector Avatar- it's like the holy grail of avatar collectors!

Totally! I've been admiring the Avatar Collector one too, ever since it first came out. I'm pretty certain I'll never get it, but since I consider myself a collector, I'd love to have it!

About why collect avatars, I think others said it well. It's fun, it's prestigious, it's a challenge, it's something to collect, and it makes me feel accomplished.