Too old...

gulsanga

I don't know if anyone has discussed this but I feel like I'm getting too old for neopets, its at the point where I can't tell any of my friends about it except a few close ones. With my birthday coming up I feel like I should quit but I just can't seem to let go, every time I try to turn away I always come back, this is my 3rd account since I forgot the other two. I'm not sure what to do..

I don't know if anyone has discussed this but I feel like I'm getting too old for neopets, its at the point where I can't tell any of my friends about it except a few close ones. With my birthday coming up I feel like I should quit but I just can't seem to let go, every time I try to turn away I always come back, this is my 3rd account since I forgot the other two. I'm not sure what to do..

I feel that way sometimes! But don't worry about it. I know many adults on the site. To me? It's a great way to de-stress from real life.

If you enjoy it, don't feel bad about it. Even if it is a secret. I keep it a secret, too. XP

I feel like this all the time! I'm 20 years old and only my best friend knows because she use to play it obsessively when she was younger.

I considered when I was around 17 in giving it away and I did for a little while, but then I came straight back. Neopets has a hold on me I cannot shake. It's your choice whether or not to give it up, but people sometimes don't realise that neopets isn't just a child's game. There is so much strategy behind what you do and it's all about achieving set goals. The adult community is so active and widespread.

Hope you decide to stay! But I completely understand the feelings of "being too old" for neopets!

This is one of those weird games that's intended for kids but attracts an older audience, like 20-30 is. Its probably because its so complex, If you look at the plots and challenges in this game its not really stuff 10 year olds can figure out. So to old, I doubt it. Funnily enough I actually often feel too young playing these games.

I used to play puzzle pirates too, all the people in my guild were like 40-50.....

u can never be too old to have fun :D

none of my friends or family know that i still play .. but thats not cuz of my age ... it's cuz they think online games are all a waste of time ...

im 31 btw

I recently had my 23rd birthday. I know how you feel. The only person in my life that knows I play is my girlfriend- she thinks it's just a cute quirk, haha. It is hard having something that I spend so much time doing as a secret I can't tell my friends, but... -shrugs-

Such is life sometimes. I enjoy Neopets still, I expect I will for a long time to come, though I may take breaks from it in the future. I'm not going to stop playing because I am no longer a teenager. :)

Personally, I know more people in their late teens, 20s and 30s that play than kids, say, under 16. I agree, a lot of stuff on this site is hard! Despite its cutesy appearance, it's not really an "easy" game. I think the graphics, more than anything else, tend to scare people away because they're "young-looking". I play, I love it and that's that. (I'm 22 if that helps xD)

The issue of telling people really doesn't come up all that often. Most of my friends know I play (many of them do too) and if someone asks, I don't deny it. But how often does that come up in conversation? More often then not, I'll mention something about web coding or something and people ask how I know and I'll be like oh, I did this code for my neopets shop, or I wrote this guide for a neopets help site and we used these elements. Usually the reaction I get is "Oh, I remember that game. Cool" or "What's Neopets?" Then I get them addicted too. Muah ha ha ha ha.

I completely agree with what has already been said. Sometimes I feel too old for this game (turned 24 yesterday), but I enjoy playing it and that's what's most important to me. Until I no longer have fun on Neo I don't intend to quit, but that doesn't mean I tell others I play. The only person who knows is one of my very good friends who used to play herself.

I think the most important thing to ask yourself is are you having fun playing? If you'd rather spend your free time doing other things, then by all means quit because there are more productive things you could be doing with your time than playing an online game. Yet, if you enjoy it, then why restrict yourself by a number? And what does age really mean anyways?

Wow Im so glad to see so many older players, rather than the intended younger ones. You guys have motivated me to stick to it, If it makes me happy it can't be a bad thing and besides its a nice getaway from the real world. I feel happier, thank you sooo much.

Wow Im so glad to see so many older players, rather than the intended younger ones. You guys have motivated me to stick to it, If it makes me happy it can't be a bad thing and besides its a nice getaway from the real world. I feel happier, thank you sooo much.

Glad we could help! And exactly if it makes you happy there's no harm.

I'm glad to hear you are staying! <3 I struggle with this as well. I don't think anyone else brought this up but I think that like anything online - social networking sites; gaming sites and the like can be unhealthy if you're not careful. I'm not trying to offend anyone here, but there are people who get so addicted they neglect other things that need to be done in real life. Too much of a good thing and all that. I've been guilty of this in the past -as I'm sure most of us have- in one way or another. It's all about balancing your life and your hobbies. As long as you're doing that then I see no reason why you should put an age restriction on yourself. :)

If it makes you happy, it can't be that bad. If it makes you happy then why are you so sad? :) Haha, that song popped into my head. Sorry. :3

I'm only 16 - but none of my friends know, only my Mum and my 13 year old brother. My brother makes fun of me and I know my friends would think I'm the weirdest person in the world (especially since I spend real money on Neopets). There are people A LOT older than I am, and people that will continue playing Neopets because it's a hobby or a place to escape. For me it's definitely been both. I've met some wonderful people and I'm sure you have too.

If you feel going on Neopets is giving you unwanted stress, try and take a hiatus and see how you feel. If you notice that you can't stay away, think of all the great things Neopets has possibly done for you and reasons why you play.

I'm 33, and I love Neopets! But then, I'm still a big kid, so that's normal. And only none person irl knows I play Neopets. He thinks I'm nutso, anyway, so he thinks nothing of it. Besides, I played Horseland from 2005 until this year and I still play Horse Phenomena. I also have a Subeta account and a couple of other sim accounts.

So if you enjoy it, stick with it! The great thing about Neopets is that you can come and go as you please and your pets won't die.

It's good to know you're staying! As most other people have said, as long as it's making you happy, why does it matter? :3

I'm only 16 - but none of my friends know, only my Mum and my 13 year old brother. My brother makes fun of me and I know my friends would think I'm the weirdest person in the world (especially since I spend real money on Neopets).

Just on this - as another 16 year old, I find it harder to admit to people my own age than, say, my older relatives that I play neopets. I think most people who bother to look at the site for more than a few minutes can start to understand that it's not really a kid's game and that you can gain useful skills out of playing (e.g. html and css) - but that kind of patience isn't expected of teenagers. The same with spending money on it - while I'd buy an NC card alone or when my parents around, I'd never dare in front of my friends.

Oh hey!

I'm 26. Been playing since I was 16. I would never consider to give up a game that I like and that has played a big role in my life like Neopets. There are enough games that I like that CLOSES with a short or no notice at all... :P

And I don't exactly care about what people would think if they knew I played that game over any other game. XD

I'm almost 22, and honestly, if it came up in a conversation I wouldn't care. c:

If strange looks were thrown my way, I'd just say something like it's fun to draw pets, and some of the games are quite fun. I don't see what's so wrong about that.

That's like, saying I still like Pokemon, or the fact that I bought myself a Lego Star Wars advent calendar this year. I think they're awesome and if people raise their eyebrows at me, then perhaps they just can't handle my levels of awesome.

I believe that a lot of the stuff on neopets caters to an older audience anyway; look at the stock market for instance. There's no way I would have ever wrapped my head around that when I was twelve. And a lot of the contests and whatnot; there's some really high quality work going into that.

At the end of the day, don't ever feel too old for something; you're only as old as you feel. So embrace all those awesome things like Neopets that you enjoy! ^^

I'm not sure whether I play the game because I'm single or I'm single because I play this kid game .....

Probably the 1st one, some other people I know play because they're single, neopets is a commitment for them. On the topic of 'Too old' however; I'm 21, a college graduate, have been dating someone for three years now, and I still play. Some of my friends do too, others enjoy the memories of when they used to play when ever they see me playing or I mention something neopets related.

As long as it doesn't interfere with the rest of your life who cares if you still play? The internet doesn't come with an age limit.

Well I'm 32 and still playing and everyone knows. My two best friends play as well and they are both in their 30's. My boyfriend knows and he doesn't care either. I have xBox and play Assassins Creed( my favorite game) And Bioshock (I've been a Little Sister for Halloween the last two years). I am a gamer and I don't care who knows! lol These games do not effect my life negatively. So why stop? They make me happy and I LOVE the whole world Neopets has created for me to delve into. If the people in your life are truly your friends they won't care what you do as long as you are still living a healthy life in between. My boyfriend even went online and found me a 1920's era gas nozzle so I could make a new Adam Syringe for my Little Sister costume. The original one I made was plastic and was stolen... He is not a gamer AT ALL but accepts me the way I am. :-) Of course there are some people that just roll their eyes when I talk about it but I don't care.

I'm coming up on 11 years on Neo this February. I can't stop now! :laughingsmiley:

I agree with everyone else! I am probably too old for Neopets, but I like it too much to stop. Nobody knows, though, and I'm always slightly embarrassed when someone finds out. I suppose I shouldn't be, though. When my boyfriend found out, he decided to start playing again!

I'm not sure whether I play the game because I'm single or I'm single because I play this kid game .....

Lol this, although my ex found out and thought it was a bit silly not sure neopets is why we split though :-P