Random Neofriend Requests ... Accept Or Not ?

Angeló

I usually accept, for some reason I like seeing people in the list of online NFs. However, I'm more skeptical after someone tried to get me to send them a bunch of np so they could "get the sell! SELL! avvie really quick and then I'll send it back to you". As long as you don't get bamboozled it doesn't have huge repercussions, but it's still annoying.

Hi! I don't mean to sound rude, but to the people wanting to know why someone would NF you and then not talk to you... have you ever stopped to think that maybe this person is shy? Yeah, they're not talking to you, but on the other hand, you're not talking to them, and so they could be intimidated. I'm saying all this from experience. I love to send random requests to people, not because I'm a creep, but because I love to make new friends (even on the internet, yes), and, just like in real too, it can be intimidating to first speak to someone you wish you were friends with. It's much better to just go for it, as I've come to learn, but maybe not all Neopians know that yet? Just saying. :) Also, I'd like to point out that the worst a neofriend that doesn't speak to you can do is crowd your little "online now" bar. They cant reach through the screen and slap you! Lol. So maybe accepting a random request here and there isn't a bad thing? Just throwing that out there too. I've had a lot of people send me rude neomails, like a bunch of question marks or something to that effect. It hurts when all I want to do is be nice to them, and they make it hard for me (and probably others) to be nice to them when they're not even bothering to type anything else but question marks. I find pretty much all the people I add from Notable Neopet. I guess I figured that if they didn't want a few randomers adding them from the customization spotlight, then they wouldn't have entered their pets into it, unless they turned their neofriend function off completely, but apparently I was wrong. Oh well. With me, I accept everybody! The friendlier, the better. (Sorry this was so long!)

PS: I've never been active in a guild, and I really don't plan on doing so, so I couldn't meet anyone there, and if not there, then where? Exactly. I've got to be that random person. Sorry if I annoyed any of you lol.

Hi! I don't mean to sound rude, but to the people wanting to know why someone would NF you and then not talk to you... have you ever stopped to think that maybe this person is shy? Yeah, they're not talking to you, but on the other hand, you're not talking to them, and so they could be intimidated. I'm saying all this from experience. I love to send random requests to people, not because I'm a creep, but because I love to make new friends (even on the internet, yes), and, just like in real too, it can be intimidating to first speak to someone you wish you were friends with. It's much better to just go for it, as I've come to learn, but maybe not all Neopians know that yet? Just saying. :) Also, I'd like to point out that the worst a neofriend that doesn't speak to you can do is crowd your little "online now" bar. They cant reach through the screen and slap you! Lol. So maybe accepting a random request here and there isn't a bad thing? Just throwing that out there too. I've had a lot of people send me rude neomails, like a bunch of question marks or something to that effect. It hurts when all I want to do is be nice to them, and they make it hard for me (and probably others) to be nice to them when they're not even bothering to type anything else but question marks. I find pretty much all the people I add from Notable Neopet. I guess I figured that if they didn't want a few randomers adding them from the customization spotlight, then they wouldn't have entered their pets into it, unless they turned their neofriend function off completely, but apparently I was wrong. Oh well. With me, I accept everybody! The friendlier, the better. (Sorry this was so long!)

PS: I've never been active in a guild, and I really don't plan on doing so, so I couldn't meet anyone there, and if not there, then where? Exactly. I've got to be that random person. Sorry if I annoyed any of you lol.

Don't worry about being annoying, I didn't find it that way at all. I like that you had a different opinion and were comfortable expressing it. (It gets boring when everyone just agrees with everyone else!)

Don't get me wrong, I'm a very shy person too and completely understand the intimidating thing. I'm much more open online because people have no idea who you are, so they can't judge you, they can only form opinions based on what you say - which I can understand if that's even scarier for some.

But if someone's shy, I just can't grasp their ability to send a neofriend request in the first place. They're putting themselves up for the same type of rejection as if they were to send a simple message first, or in addition to. Even if the only thing the message said was hi would be enough for me.

I think mainly what my concern is about being neofriends with people I haven't become comfortable with first is that it gives people more of an 'inside' to my account. I realize they have no more access to anything I do than if they weren't my neofriend, it's ridiculous and unsubstaniated, but I've been hacked before and I do fear it will happen again. So I try to stay off people's radar as much as possible and if that means not accepting a neofriend request from people with only month old accounts, then so be it.

I pretty much agree with taralynnb. I'd also like to add that I've got people issues too, like a shy person also does, but in a different way. So getting an out of the blue friend request, I get all confused and paranoid and it puts me in a bad mood. But I have now turned off friend requests so this won't happen. I realize that no one could possibly know this about me if we've never talked, but this is why I hate random friend requests. And also the fact that I think a friend list should consist of people I know, if not actual friends. I have no use for a list of random people I've never talked to. I also don't feel the need to get to know new people for the sake of it.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I cant say I get a huge amount of NF requests... I think in total i've had 2 and thats out of my grand total of 5 friends.

I'd accept but hey, thats probably due to the lack of NF I have currently lol

Nope. Not really. Of course there are certain times when I do. One example was when someone I played KQ with NFed me. He wasn't a quitter so I accepted.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Sure, why not be friendly :)

This post has been edited by a member of staff (Spritzie) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Please keep your posts at 7 words or above.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been getting A LOT of random neofriend requests lately and I don't understand why, lol. I really don't. It's not like I have a super awesome account or have been playing for years and years. It bugs me a lot because people will neofriend me and never message me telling me who they are. I mean, come on! Why would I add you if you are not going to neomail me first? That just makes me think you are not going to converse with me in the future, in which case, why add?

I used to think the opposite. Until I started getting so many neofriends. I think I'm about to go ahead and delete some people. (I always say that and never do it, for fear of hurting someones feelings) but I doubt I will, because I don't think they really acknowledge my exsistence anyways. :P

I've been getting A LOT of random neofriend requests lately and I don't understand why, lol. I really don't. It's not like I have a super awesome account or have been playing for years and years. It bugs me a lot because people will neofriend me and never message me telling me who they are. I mean, come on! Why would I add you if you are not going to neomail me first? That just makes me think you are not going to converse with me in the future, in which case, why add?

I used to think the opposite. Until I started getting so many neofriends. I think I'm about to go ahead and delete some people. (I always say that and never do it, for fear of hurting someones feelings) but I doubt I will, because I don't think they really acknowledge my exsistence anyways. :P

I neofriended you because you are awesome. :D And we have very similar likes/dislikes and I keep running into you in the forums xD

But overall, I accept all neofriend accounts. It sort of makes me happy to see my neofriends online, and I don't do enough trading/auctions to be suspicious of anyone yet. Most all my neofriends I've met via TDN anyway, so I don't mind.

I neofriended you because you are awesome. :D And we have very similar likes/dislikes and I keep running into you in the forums xD

But overall, I accept all neofriend accounts. It sort of makes me happy to see my neofriends online, and I don't do enough trading/auctions to be suspicious of anyone yet. Most all my neofriends I've met via TDN anyway, so I don't mind.

Aww, I didn't mean you hun. Or anyone from here really. I love my TDN friends! It's just those random people that find my account through here and have like three week old accounts or whatever. I mean, at least tell me who you are. LOL. :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It all depends on their account. I used to get a lot of NF requests when I entered my pets for customization contests.

If the acount is at least 6 month old, and it looks like it is someone one with a genuine interest in neopets, I will normally accept :)

My Neofriends are only people I know from here or other forums, or from real life (my nephews, though they don't play anymore, and a college friend -- who joined to bond with her much younger sister, just like I did to bond with my nephews, but whose account was recently frozen). I will add someone briefly for an auction-trade, but I remove them again pretty quickly. I have a note up on my user lookup saying that I don't accept random Neofriends, but I still get invitations occasionally, even though I try to stay low-profile on the site.

• 3 weeks later...

I used to. Then I got too many Neofriends. Most of which only neomailed me when they wanted something or wanted me to buy something. So, I pretty much stopped accepting them. The only exception is if they're polite enough to send me a neomail first or if I recognize them from a board I frequent.