Do you think the labray is actually worth it ?

angellicaz

I don't think it is, and I actually regret buying it now.. what a waste of like 1.5mil.. I've had it for like 2 months now and I haven't got anything good out of it.. I've been reset back to level 1 lots of times, lost loads of stat points, gained some stat points, changed gender MANY times, and got changed into awful pets.. :(

What does everyone else think? Is it just my awful luck? Personally I would have rather just not bought it and got the morphing potion of the pet I really want!

I personally think it is worth it, as I have had many awesome zaps and do not have any dreamies. It is, however almost completely useless if you are after a specific species/colour combo. The only think I regret is that I bought the entire lab map about 3 weeks before the re-design, free give-away and subsequent deflation :|

I bought it back when the full set cost only about 200k, and I was complaining then that it cost too much. I use to be obsessed with getting a robot kacheek so everytime the lab ray changed the species of my pet, I would buy a morphing potion and zap it again until it changed to robot. Eventually, I got it, I should've stopped there but I didn't. Now, everything cost too darn much to do what I use to do. I'm an on-off Neopets player, so I haven't been zapping everyday since I got it. Currently, the one pet I use the lab ray on is at Lvl 1, but its hit points are 200+. IMO, at the current price, the lab ray isn't that great.

i think mine was about 400k? i don't know. i didn't even realise there was a giveaway, i just came back and it was different.

i haven't gotten anything good on my oldest account but oddly my side had awesome luck. its just a shame i lost what email that account is attatched to..

considering buying another but that 800k piece is like whoah.

its no good for training, but i do use it for that since i'm not a serious battler. i'm mainly into it for the spiecies and color changes, i like the random stuff i get :)

I got it just for the pure fun of having random pets. I have been zapping pets from the pound and then adopting them out with great success and have gifted quite a few people their dreamies, so to me it's totally worth it. It also zapped one of my pets into a Jetsam that I then painted in my fav Jetsam colour and now have a brilliant pet. Nowadays it seems obsessed with zapping things into Bruces for some reason, I've had Desert, Halloween, Maraquan, red, yellow and blue Bruces :D Thanks to the giveaway I got the set for my boyfriend as well and he has been having great fun with it. Totally worth it both times :)

I'm very happy with it, honestly. Lost Desert PBs are like, 2 million, right? I've gotten Lost Desert zaps at least four times now. I've gotten Halloween and junk, too. I've had the maps for years, however. Sometimes it takes a while to get a good zap, it's not instantaneous and it's random luck. If you zap everyday for a year, though, you're likely to eventually get something decent.

Your first color zap will also probably be something like Purple.

It's fun, but it's nothing something you should buy expecting to make a quick return. Especially considering the fact that you don't actually get neopoints back, and you can't sell pets anyways.

I've been wondering the same. I actually have 3 of the 4 most expensive pieces that I've gotten for free (won/luck), so buying the rest wouldn't be too bad. My dreamies are so expensive; I don't know if I should just complete the set and hope for a lucky zap, or sell the pieces and keep saving up.

I bought mine when the set was much cheaper and have had some interesting zaps but no avatar/dream pets. As of late though, my attempts at a halloween lupe are being foiled by multiple gender and stat changes :P

I think it's one of the more interesting gambles you can take in neopets and I appreciate atleast trying it out.

I think it's totally worth the cost. I have it on 2 accounts. On my first account, I paid 1.1 million for a complete set. My second set, I think I paid around 500k, a year or so later.

When you do get cool zaps, it's worth it. I haven't gotten a ton of really awesome zaps, but I've gotten one that made it all worth it, and that was an Ice Hissi. But I've also gotten a Chocolate zap (granted, it was on a Usul), Maraquan, Faerie, an Ice Shoyru, Fire, Zombie. I think it's more fun than anything for me now, since the Ice Hissi was really the only thing I was trying for.

Overall, I think the cost of the set/pieces can be made back, and it's not insanely expensive (like 5+ million) so after it's paid for, you get to enjoy it forever.

i love the ray! im very much into zapping my permies one by one until they turn into a species / colour i could see myself customising and creating a character for. i got my desert kacheek via lab and he's staying like that now :)

ive also had many interesting zaps: desert, robot (multiple times!), pink, zombie, Halloween, striped, purple, shadow... ive never had a mara zap which is what i always wish for :P

I think it's worth it just for the fun of zapping a pet! I too have gotten the WORST pets from it.. but I guess that's just my personal opinion. (I keep getting tuskaninny or chomby. He started out as an Acara and has never gone back!)

I think it't worth it, even though I haven't gotten anything good from it yet :P I just think it's fun and hopefully one day I will get a color zap that will make it all worthwhile ^_^

EDIT: Just the other day, my Elephante got zapped Maraquan. Yay ^_^

Totally worth it - got some dream pets, given some dream pets, got some avatars from it, given some avatars from it.

If you're zapping for one specific species/colour, than yes, I can see why it would be not worth the cost/chance. But if you're zapping just for fun, with minimal expectations, than totally worth every np.

I paid quite a bit for mine, but I think it's worth it. I decided on a final color/species for one of my pets (though I'm still saving for it!), kept the Strawberry Usul I zapped, and am currently just zapping to give away. Picking up WN but basic pets from the pound and zapping until I get something cool and adopting it out.

I paid over a million for my lap map but I don't regret. Admittedly, there are the zaps are annoying or turn your pet into something you don't want but I enjoy zapping just to see what I'll get. I've gotten avatars from zaps, given away pets and I've had some great zaps even though I may not keep them that way (I recently zapped a Lutari). It's not the most effective way to get a specific pet but you can have fun with it. And you may discover a great pet/colour combination that you hadn't considered before.

It's completely worth it for what I do with it. I zap pets and adopt them out, so I have had many pets get expensive colour zaps, including some lab-only zaps like Alien, and a lot of Maraquan zaps.

If you don't do that, or use the lab to BD train, then I can see why you'd think it's not worth it. If you're using it to target zap, that's going to be a long road of disappointing zaps :P But I enjoy zapping pets and seeing what happens to them, and getting those exciting species/colour changes, so for me getting a lab map is definitely worth it.

It's totally worth it. It adds worth to your account, it provides an "illusion" of wealth, and yeah. Just keep on zapping, I'm sorry about your luck! I've managed to get some pretty good pets out of it, Maraquan especially, and it also provides that added "thrill" of the zap. You never know what you're going to end up with. It also does improve stats, however irregular. ^-^

Like some people said, it depends on what you're after. I got the lab map years ago for...probably less than 200k. I don't remember. Back in those days, that was a lot of money. You worked hard for every np, and Ultimate Riches was the bank account you got when you got 2 million (I think)--which seemed unattainable at the time.

Sorry. Trying to see if I can sound like an old lady :-P

Anyway, I would not find the lab map useful anymore, but I have in the past. I have actually succeeded in zapping a couple of pets into avatar pets--I got a coconut jubjub and several pink pets. I used to lab for stats, and my draik shows the results. I clearly don't lab him anymore, seeing as how I morphed him into a mutant draik...but he has pretty decent stats now. I use my eyrie as a well-rounded battle pet, though. I don't use the lab map at all, now, but I have occasionally continued to adopt pets and zap them.

Basically, it is useless if you're after a specific species/colour combination that's not lab-only. But if you have a lot of dream pets, then it can be worth it. Picking up WN pound pets and zapping them has gotten me some pretty decent zaps, including maraquan.

It depends on how patient you are. If you get something good that's not what you want, trade it. It can be very useful in that sense, and, as someone said, you might end up with a streak of desert zaps, or you might get nothing but stat changes for months. It's all random.

yah, i think it's worth it because:

1. I get to have a bd pet with free training

2. I get to keep the clothes for free without spending another dime for a pb

I have 5 maps but I've abandoned three of those accounts. None of my dreamies are obtainable via the ray so they're not particularly useful to me anymore. I will probably start using them again to zap/adopt out once I've sorted out my permanant pets a bit better - gets confusing with loads of accounts :P

If you have dreamies that are obtainable I'd say it's worth it. It does take some time to get a decent zap but you can get some pretty awesome colours without dipping into your bank account :). Mara is like 8 million O.o

I have one on two accounts and love it. Problem is, I keep zapping colours/species I like then have to adopt more pets to zap and I'm almost out of room on all 5 accounts >.<

I find the ray kind of goes in cycles for me. I'll go a month or more of zapping stats and gender changes then get a couple species and colour changes in a week. It just happened recently. I got a robot zap, a chomby zap (LE pet) and a faerie zap all within like, 4 days.