Do you think the labray is actually worth it ?

angellicaz

I've never even been able to make a considerable amount of nps, so I've never had the lab :( I'm hoping that I'll be able to afford it sometime soon though, sure it might give you things you don't want, but it's quite exciting, not knowing what you're going to get... And you get the avatar! I'd say it's worth it.

I think that if you don't really have specific species or colors in mind that it can be helpful. I would say that even with the inflated price that it can be worth it. A lot of colors cost a lot of money, and if it's a pet with a cheap morphing potion it can still be cheaper to zap and buy morphing potions when it changes species. For example, you could probably get an Eventide Kyrii a lot cheaper (if it existed) buying a map and morphing potions for a little less than 5000 np each.

It is a lot easier to earn neopoints now than when the lab ray first came out, so I don't really mind the inflation. In the last six months I've had fifteen color or species changes that I can remember. I got three color changes this week alone. I've had really bad luck with illnesses, though, so I've probably saved quite a bit of np that way. I also only do one player battledome, and I have yet to spend any money on training, but have a pretty decent pet for it for the amount of time I've been zapping. With zaps, you can get more than one free training day a year. Between dubloons from dailies, faerie quests, and pet days, it hasn't been too hard to keep things relatively equal even with a zap back to 1 in level.

• 3 weeks later...

I didn't zap long before I got my lutari. It instantly became worth it for that - now I just zap one to see what the progression will be. I'm not much into the BD so I have fun just seeing what my pets become.

I absolutely think the lab ray is worth it, especially if you're going after avatars or rare pets. I haven't used it in quite some time though because I really like all my current pets. But the reason I have a couple of those is because of the lab ray so I'm all for it.

I think it's worth it for the avatars, plus all those nice lab-only colors. The labray isn't really great way to train your pets though.

Actually, assuming you don't care about your pet's species, it's a much cheaper alternative to the Training School in the long run, but only after a pet is too strong for the KI Academy. Yes, I know the Lab Ray lowers defense, but that can easily be made up with Armoured Neggs.

So, yes, it's definitely worth it. If anything, it's fun to see what you get every day. :P

Actually, assuming you don't care about your pet's species, it's a much cheaper alternative to the Training School in the long run, but only after a pet is too strong for the KI Academy. Yes, I know the Lab Ray lowers defense, but that can easily be made up with Armoured Neggs.

So, yes, it's definitely worth it. If anything, it's fun to see what you get every day. :P

Well, it can be a problem, as it doesn't decrease hit points, but often leaves the pet with level 1. It makes the pet hard to train after you want to stop using the lab ray- you have to raise the level to what it should be at for those hit points before you can continue with any other training.

Not saying it's impossible or anything, it just makes things a bit more difficult.

I agree that it is worth it though. :) It's just good to be aware of that.

Well, it can be a problem, as it doesn't decrease hit points, but often leaves the pet with level 1. It makes the pet hard to train after you want to stop using the lab ray- you have to raise the level to what it should be at for those hit points before you can continue with any other training.

Not saying it's impossible or anything, it just makes things a bit more difficult.

I agree that it is worth it though. :) It's just good to be aware of that.

Actually, I believe that if you get your pets level up to about 50, the lab no longer does the "...'s level goes down to 1!" thing. Yes, it can still make your pet lose levels, but at least it's only one or two at a time.

I'm saving up for the map at the moment. Right now I have 4/9 pieces.

You know what's annoying? Somehow, on one of my old accounts (that I transferred to my current one), I managed to get the complete Petpet Lab map. Huh. I do not remember how I did that...

ONE OF THESE DAYS I'LL GET THERE. I like having random pets, so I think I'll keep zapping until I get one I like.

Actually, I believe that if you get your pets level up to about 50, the lab no longer does the "...'s level goes down to 1!" thing. Yes, it can still make your pet lose levels, but at least it's only one or two at a time.

Yes, that is true! There are disputes about when it stops doing that- it seems that as your level gets to about 25 it becomes less likely, and just becomes even less likely as your level goes up. Or something. :)

Yes, that is true! There are disputes about when it stops doing that- it seems that as your level gets to about 25 it becomes less likely, and just becomes even less likely as your level goes up. Or something. :)

Yea, that's why I'm planning on training up my pets' levels before I zap them...

Is it a bad idea to train and zap at the same time? Because I'm thinking of training defense and level, while zapping the others...

Yea, that's why I'm planning on training up my pets' levels before I zap them...

Is it a bad idea to train and zap at the same time? Because I'm thinking of training defense and level, while zapping the others...

Ehhhh, I wouldn't do that. My current lab rat had a pretty high level when I started zapping him (25, I believe), but it's down to about half that now, thanks to the ray. I think you would just waste the training if you zapped at the same time.

I've had the lab ray for years but I don't use it consistently. My pet used to level 20 but is now a level 3 and male, which sucks. I hope she reverts back to female and a good color and pet. Her battledome stats are awesome though. Sucks that I have to train her again though,

I think it's pretty worth it. I spent around 707,000 buying the pieces that I were missing. I got Sentinae ( a Xweetok) zapped Faerie after around 2 weeks of zapping my pets, which is one of my dreamies :) I also got my Shoyru zapped Desert, which is ok, but come to think of it... I'd bet he'd look really good Wraith.

• 2 weeks later...

I've always wondered this. I have a few of the pieces but not the most expensive ones. I really would just want it to try out some different Neopets colors, that's about it. I'm still debating whether I should spend my np on this or just save up for the paint brushes I want themselves.

If you got specific species/colours in mind and that's it, then you'd better in saving for the PBs or potions.

If you just like to browse species/colours and maybe get BD stats for your pet, then labray is definitely worth it.

I'm kind of addicted to it but I have been lucky - had a halloween Cybunny, snow cybunny, Darigan Garrl and Disco Chomby. my only problem is I get bored and zap again and have to wait a few months for a exciting neopet!

No point crying over spilled milk - keep at it and I'm sure you will get what you want eventually! x

I got it just for the pure fun of having random pets. I have been zapping pets from the pound and then adopting them out with great success and have gifted quite a few people their dreamies, so to me it's totally worth it. It also zapped one of my pets into a Jetsam that I then painted in my fav Jetsam colour and now have a brilliant pet. Nowadays it seems obsessed with zapping things into Bruces for some reason, I've had Desert, Halloween, Maraquan, red, yellow and blue Bruces :D Thanks to the giveaway I got the set for my boyfriend as well and he has been having great fun with it. Totally worth it both times :)

That's a good idea. I am a little obsessed with lab ray zapping and i've messed up a few of my pets because of it. Had them all the wrong gender at one point which i've only just sorted out. My first pet has been stuck as an Island Flotsam for ages now (not my favorite type of pet or colour) and if I wasnt so sentimental I would have passed her onto someone who'd like her more. After I get her sorted out, I think now i'm going to start being careful with the pets i want to keep and maybe look at adopting so I can get my fix of lab ray!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I think it's worth it. I spent around 300000 in the missing pieces. Spent all of my money at the time but didn't regret it. I lost a couple of battle points of my battle pet but I got my tonu painted fire, a thing it would take a lot of time to get. I keep experimenting with the lab ray, it's a lot of fun