Musical pet peeves

Naamah D.

What are your pet peeves when it comes to music? Certain bands, certain genres, or just what you can't stand about your own favorites music?

Here I go!

Peeves about artist I like

I love Deuce very much as a person. However some of his songs are just ridiculous. America, The One, Gravestone and Circles are brilliant. However, there's this one song that I just don't understand why

he wrote it. I'm not dissing him. I absolutley adore him(he is so polite to his fans).

I'm sorry but when Davey Havok from AFI goes "Ooh!!!!" in that really high pitched voice it just ruins part of the whole song.

Peeves about other bands and music:

What Hollywood undead did to poor Deuce really made me upset. I get very emotional when I talk about it.

Black Veil Brides: If you're a TBM fan, you must know what went down with BVB. Plus, some of their fans just scream "I'm not going through a phase! I'm choosing a lifestyle!!!!"

Country Music: Don't tell my heart muh achy breaky heart :looks around: all I'm going to say.

^ That's actually one of my pet peeves, because when you do that you're missing out on some great songs like Amaranth and Bye Bye Beautiful (which I realize is about their breakup, but is still a very good song). Refusing to listen to something because the singer is different would only make sense if they couldn't sing, but she can, and she's great.

Matter of opinion though, I suppose.

I also can't stand it when fans pitch a fit if they don't like who they like is touring with. Get over it. At least you get to see and hear who you like. Just have some patience and sit through the other acts until they start playing.

EDIT: Now if the people they are touring with start being jerks to the artist you like, feel free to pitch a fit.

1. Well back in Band Class, I had to sit next to another fellow flute player that didn't understand how to 'staccato' and instead would just 'slur' the whole time! Drove me nuts especially when half the song is labeled STACCATO! I took band class more seriously back in the day because I love instruments while sadly, most of the people there were only there to "be with friends." They didn't care at all about the music so that's why we usually couldn't play cooler songs because they found it "too hard" :< I remember asking my teacher if we could do a Final Fantasy song and showed him the sheet music, but he said it looked too hard for the others. It's because of them I couldn't have fun in my favorite class >.<

On the other note, at least I taught a few of my friends the Final Fantasy Victory Fanfare song and we would play it when we got a touchdown in the football games xD

2. My poor techno music. I've ALWAYS loved techno since late middle school and everyone thought I was so weird that I would rather listen to just "beats" compared to whatever was on the radio at the time. I didn't care. Techno will always be one of my top favorite genres along with Trance and Instrumental. HOWEVER, techno is now FREAKIN' EVERYWHERE to the point that those kind of people that ridiculed me back then now post on their facebooks, "OMG I LUV TECHNO! TECHNO 4-EVA!"

NononoNOO >.< The stuff on the radio is NOT REAL TECHNO! I hate that people confuse simple electronic sounds to my beautiful techno! It's like dubstep. I love dubstep but all that's on the radio is NOT REAL DUBSTEP! If you want to find really good dubstep or techno, you have to search for them elsewhere because the radio is not doing those genres justice. Now whenever I say anything about liking Techno or Dubstep, I have those people come at me talking about Rihanna and Skillex. -__- It's sad and I disapprove. Techno was never meant to be mainstream and I still love it, just not these new people that wanna "rave" now to that kind of music they believe is techno :shiftyeyes_anim:

3. Never liked country music. I was raised in the country with nothing but country radio stations everywhere and I sometimes slip a bit of accent too. But no, I dislike country music because it actually depresses me. I don't know why but I approve of Johnny Cash and LeAnn Rimes but that's about it. I'll take beautiful classical music rather than country music any day.

Whew, the techno one really got me mad xD I can't wait until this phase is over so techno can return back to normal!

(the first thing isn't a musical pet peeve per se, but more of a fanbase-related pet peeve)

-People who say things like "this band is mine and if anyone else discovers it I will gouge their eyes out with a spoon, saw them open and strangle them with their small intestine"

Okay, maybe I was exaggerating a little bit, but you know what I'm talking about.

I can't take those types of people seriously. So what if someone else discovers your favourite band? It's really not a big deal at all.

-Overplayed music. Almost every time I turn on the radio, all I hear is im sexy and i know ittt WE FOUND LOVE IN A HOPELESS PLACE party rock is in the HOOOOOUSE tonighttt I SET FIRE TO THE RAINNNNN we found love in a hopeless place~~ and I'm like ugh find some other things to play!

-People in my chorus class who continue to sing when the teacher signals the class to stop. I've always refused to sit next to my best friend (and now I'm forced to sit next to her) because she does this all the time and it gets on my nerves quite a bit.

...I was raised in the country with nothing but country radio stations everywhere and I sometimes slip a bit of accent too...

I'm almost the exact opposite. There are no country radio stations anywhere around here. Maybe that's because I live less than an hour away from NYC, which is not country at all.

I don't even like country music all that much, but it upsets me a little bit to know that there aren't any country stations around here. :/

I can't stand fans who have that "I'm the only one who actually cares about the music, the rest of aren't true fans" attitude. Hate to tell ya hunny bunny but real fans don't put other fans down and say they aren't for real. You're about as real as SpongeBob SquarePants.

And for girls who like male artist, don't say they look like crap and should change how they look. It's their body. And to be honest, why worry about his appearance when he's super talanted? Same thing with female artist don't say they look like crap either! One of my favorite female band members got a comment on the band she's in videos saying that her size made the band look unprofessional. They're music artist! Not fashion dolls!!!!

The top 40. Honestly, what is this stuff?

In the topic of Nightwish, when people say rude things about Annette because she replaced Tarja. I miss Tarja too and while she was amazing, Annette does have talent and it's unfair to compare her all the time. It was years ago yet still these wars break out on youtube. You don't have to like one or the other. I personally like both.

When people compare Nightwish, Within Temptation and Evanescence. Three of my favourite bands yet always compared.

When people say rude things about a singer they don't like. For example, Justin Bieber and Rebecca Black. We get it, you don't like their music. Neither do I. But is it fair to call Rebecca fat? And insult her and Justin on things unrelated to their music?

When I was in band, I played first clarinet. There were four thirds, three seconds and two of us firsts. The other first clarinet couldn't play and she would just copy me when I would rest my clarinet. She couldn't count the bars that we were resting for. Honestly, I tested her one time and picked it up and so did she and we still have 10 bars to go. We were in grade 11 and had been in band since grade 6. So I feel this was ridiculous.

And I completely agree with the techno!

I also hate when people say my music sucks because they haven 't heard of half the bands I listen to... DX

I can't stand fans who have that "I'm the only one who actually cares about the music, the rest of aren't true fans" attitude. Hate to tell ya hunny bunny but real fans don't put other fans down and say they aren't for real. You're about as real as SpongeBob SquarePants.

No need for insults dealing with a sponge >.>

Trust me, I'm not the only one that thinks of this. It's the people that only like what is out now and don't really know what it even is. It's like people hearing The Birthday Massacre and saying "OMG this is emo music!" It really isn't and people fail to understand why, only the real fans get the message of their songs and know it isn't anywhere near emo. My boyfriend, friends, and plenty of other people totally agree about what has become of Techno as of now. Real fans defend a genre that is being misused for marketing purposes or not understood by a naive public.

I also hate when people say my music sucks because they haven 't heard of half the bands I listen to... DX

I know that story very well too xD

It's usually whatever is on the radio that's "worthy" of listening to. People miss out on a LOT of great bands out there because of that!

I also don't like when people hate on songs that are in any other language besides their own! You know the ones that don't even give those other languages a chance because they simply don't understand. I love Japanese, German, Croatian, Spanish, Russian, and plenty of other songs and when I want to share them with certain people, they just diss it ;3;

EDIT TO FIXER: Thank you!

Japanese music is beautiful. I never fell in love with it until I saw anime but then I started actually looking some up and it's pretty awesome. You don't need to understand it to love it.

That brings me to another pet peeve. People who refuse to even listen to a song if it isn't in their language.

Japanese music is beautiful. I never fell in love with it until I saw anime but then I started actually looking some up and it's pretty awesome. You don't need to understand it to love it.

That brings me to another pet peeve. People who refuse to even listen to a song if it isn't in their language.

Same here! Everyone has their own taste in music and certain genres but naive people (which I'm usually surrounded by) only likes the newest pop artists and apparently the more profanity they say, the more they just EAT IT UP! Songs back in the day actually had meaning and (not all) but a lot of the songs I hear now are just about body parts, calling girls this, one night stands, profanity, and...goodness hearing kids sing that new Nicki Minaj song just makes me sad ;~:

No need for insults dealing with a sponge >.>

Trust me, I'm not the only one that thinks of this. It's the people that only like what is out now and don't really know what it even is. It's like people hearing The Birthday Massacre and saying "OMG this is emo music!" It really isn't and people fail to understand why, only the real fans get the message of their songs and know it isn't anywhere near emo. My boyfriend, friends, and plenty of other people totally agree about what has become of Techno as of now. Real fans defend a genre that is being misused for marketing purposes or not understood by a naive public.

I know that story very well too xD

It's usually whatever is on the radio that's "worthy" of listening to. People miss out on a LOT of great bands out there because of that!

I also don't like when people hate on songs that are in any other language besides their own! You know the ones that don't even give those other languages a chance because they simply don't understand. I love Japanese, German, Croatian, Spanish, Russian, and plenty of other songs and when I want to share them with certain people, they just diss it ;3;

EDIT TO FIXER: Thank you!

I listen to music in Finnish all the time. Music in other languages is beautiful.

2. My poor techno music. I've ALWAYS loved techno since late middle school and everyone thought I was so weird that I would rather listen to just "beats" compared to whatever was on the radio at the time. I didn't care. Techno will always be one of my top favorite genres along with Trance and Instrumental. HOWEVER, techno is now FREAKIN' EVERYWHERE to the point that those kind of people that ridiculed me back then now post on their facebooks, "OMG I LUV TECHNO! TECHNO 4-EVA!"

NononoNOO >.< The stuff on the radio is NOT REAL TECHNO! I hate that people confuse simple electronic sounds to my beautiful techno! It's like dubstep. I love dubstep but all that's on the radio is NOT REAL DUBSTEP! If you want to find really good dubstep or techno, you have to search for them elsewhere because the radio is not doing those genres justice. Now whenever I say anything about liking Techno or Dubstep, I have those people come at me talking about Rihanna and Skillex. -__- It's sad and I disapprove. Techno was never meant to be mainstream and I still love it, just not these new people that wanna "rave" now to that kind of music they believe is techno :shiftyeyes_anim:

This one, a million times. I was going to say as a fan of dubstep, I do not enjoy people recommending Skrillex. (I can tolerate is about as far as it goes.) That is, if you're trying to get someone who has never heard of dubstep or anything similar to become a fan, my blood will boil if your first suggestion is Skrillex.

That's like if you're a pop enthusiast and you hear someone suggest Justin Beiber as a neophyte's first listen.

Or if punk is your passion and in this same third wheel scenario you hear Blood On The Dance Floor.

Or metal and Disturbed.

You get the idea.

1. Country music. I absolutely can't stand it. A few songs aren't bad, but all of the over-played ones on the radio are terrible imo. Most of them have absolutely no beat and have such pointless lyrics. Every single equestrian center I've boarded at has insisted on playing country music 24/7. Guess I'm just really sick of listening to songs about tractors and drinking beer. The real old country music was a million times better, and even the music from 5 or so years ago wasn't as bad. As the years go by it seems to get worse and worse. Just my opinion of course lol.

2. When people 'follow the leader' with music. You know, people who claim to like a song/artist not because they actually like them, but because their bff likes them. ._.

I actually hate it more when people dislike an artist or band all because they are popular and mainstream. They don't even give the music a try they just have that "I'm just too hardcore to listen to any of that mainstream crap." personality to them.

And this whole deal about refusing to listen to a band because the singer is different, I will not forgive what that "band" did to Deuce, ever. But that's a different story other than just somebody else doing vocals.

Meh. I hate most popular artists.

I have given them a shot. They make my ears bleed.

I do like Avril Lavigne, Taylor Swift, Simple Plan, and a couple others for popular music. And Alssya Reid. She's pretty awesome.

But Katy Perry hurts my ears. I do give them a shot though. But I can't even sit through most of the songs. -shivers-

ONE WORD: AUTOTUNE. I hate it so much, I want the person who invented it history. It is a crime to music and just plain EVIL! This is why all modern pop artists suck, they use that..that.. [removed] of a [removed]!!!!!!!! They disgust me!

And all teenyboppers. They are rats, scum, and they must be stopped!

I need a time machine. I'm going to the 70s and never coming back!

This post has been edited by a member of staff (Neomysterion) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Censoring swear words do not make them okay to say on the forums, they have been removed.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

I'd say I'm fair with all new artists. I'll listen to them, some of them who actually have talent and something to say are OK in my book. It's those guys that are obviously under some mega corporation singing about lollipops and sunshine that makes me want to drive a pencil in my ear.

But for my own musical preferences, I love death/gothic/doom and symphonic metal. I don't like women that do death growls. I just don't. Let's say I'm old fashioned, and I'm used to my Theatre of Tragedy and not Sinister. Also, I'm a little annoyed that a lot of female metal vox sound the same (Sirenia, Krypteria, Nemesea, L'Aime Immortelle). I mean, where's the good ol' belting - like Sharon of Within Temptation or Simone of Epica?

Also, the whole Tarja vs Anette thing really gets to me. I agree that Tarja's vocal style is miles apart from Anette's, but the music is still good. Tarja is an opera singer, she hits high notes with no problems. I feel like sometimes Anette's high end gets a little whiny, but I still like it. Nightwish is still a pretty epic band, even if I was a little disappointed with Imaginaerium (perhaps I just need to listen to it more).

Unfortunately I don't keep up with current music, I just come across the odd pop song here and there now. One of my friends had to explain to me what Nicki Minaj was a few months ago.

Ok I actually know Amaranth and loved the allusions in the videoclip *I'm obsessed with everything angelic* ... she has a good voice really ... but I didn't like "ByeBye Beautiful" ...

I'll try to get the new album :)

............ and yes AUTOTUNE makes me shiver !

This is my number one music pet peeve: When hip-hop/pop artist sample other songs. When the song plays on the radio I get excited thinking it was the original song but NOPE! Kanye West did it with Daft Punk and someone used a Imogen Heap song. Or when a song releases than a week later a rapper decides the song NEEDS their voice in it. It's so annoying DX

Oh gosh, trills! They are so annoying to play, because I'm an idiot and I can never remember how to trill! They don't even sound that cool! They even feel weird! I always play them too long or too short, and it's always extremely noticible! I can't even spell the word trill!

Oh wait, am I supposed to talk about something else?