What's the most cheapest pet colour ever?

lilshadowdweller

So, we have our most "Random Neopet Ever" thread. While some of them are quite random, you can see some artists placed a lot of detail and work into their design. (Mutant Kau?) ;)

While browsing some colours, I noticed that while the artists seem to put a lot of heart and soul into some, they tend to just kind of cheap on some colours. Now keep in mind this is only a matter of opinion, feel free to disagree. But I welcome you to post some of the pet colours where the pets just don't carry that same sense of personality.

Keep in mind: I'm not a professional artist. I have no idea how difficult it is to adhere to the standards of the Neopet models. I understand creativity is restricted. I respect TNT's artists and aside from these which I personally feel could be done better, I acknowledge the outstanding work which is usually present in TNT's colours.

Here are some of my picks for cheapest colour contest:

2.png

OK. So she's supposed to be a elf. I get it. Pointy cheap plasticy ears and a really odd shaped hat. (Did it have to be so curvy? It probably would have looked better smaller. However, beyond the odd green thing sticking out of her head, she's basically a normal Usul with big ears. If you browse here: http://www.neocolour...pose=happy+male , you'll notice nearly all of the Christmas pets at least have different colours from the others and a lot of weables/designs were placed on them!

2.png2.png2.png

Biscuit Gelert, Grarrl and Aisha

These are basically...beige pets. I wouldn't have guessed buiscuit. At least with the other pets, they have chocolate chips and stuff. Where's the heart and soul here? Where is the yumminess?

2.png

Chocolate Korbat

Most of the chocolate pets have at least a dab of whip cream or icing on them. I understand the Korbat is supposed to look like a chocolate bunny or something with an icing nose but it comes off more as simply a Rudolph bat!

2.png

Disco Acara

Most Disco pets simply have weird designs stamped on them but nearly all of them have a different colour as well on their fur patterns. Some have some sense of variety, with Disco flames, the Kacheek even has awesome glasses! But this one falls short as just being a stamped on Green Acara.

2.png

Halloween Nimmo

This one has always driven me crazy since the time it came. Is it a devil? A dragon? A cape blowing in the wind? What is this, this thing?

2.png

Grey Kougra

Most grey pets don't look as awesome as they did before cutomization. However, this one stands out with it's mild attempt to smile. How dare it look almost happy in midst of it's depressed fellows! Essentially, it almost looks like a normal grey Kougra!

2.png

Faerie Flotsam

Alright. I understand. It's an under water pet, therefore, it cannot have the same wings as other Faeries. But really, couldn't the artist had placed the wings further back? It ends up look liking extended ears. And surely they could have maybe altered the shape to distinguish it from the rest of the body?

Any others I forgot? ^^

How about the faerie aisha?

2.png

It's just a blue aisha with wings. A lot of the other pets get cool colors as well.

I'm also a little bit disappointed in the faerie jetsam.

2.png

The markings are a little sloppy for my liking, and I don't like the body color being blue (I have a faerie jetsam who was blue before). Also, what's up with those wings? I have a hard time figuring out how to interpret them when drawing.

I do agree on some very early Faerie pets like the Aisha, Leedom111. The Faerie Acara, Faerie Blumaroo, Faerie Kacheek, and Faerie Uni are also prime examples of cheaply done pet colour jobs. They look like basic coloured Yellow and Blue pets with wings.

2.png2.png2.png2.png

Also, the post-customization Ice Bruce looks like a standard Red Bruce with some slight texture modifications if you ask me, or maybe a Snow Bruce made to look like a basic Red Bruce complete with colouring and all. Allow me to show you what I mean:

2.png2.png

There may be other examples, but I'll post again if I find more cheaply-done designs.

Also, the post-customization Ice Bruce looks like a standard Red Bruce with some slight texture modifications if you ask me, or maybe a Snow Bruce made to look like a basic Red Bruce complete with colouring and all. Allow me to show you what I mean:

2.png2.png

There may be other examples, but I'll post again if I find more cheaply-done designs.

Yeah, the ice bruce definitely suffered :/ It was cute as a popsicle, but now it just looks silly.

They should have left it unconverted in my opinion.

Agreed on the ice bruce, I don't understand why he is red and all the other's are blue..like ice...

Same goes for the speckled Usul, how come she isn't green and white? Or is she meant to be something :/

4.png

Also, not a fan of camouflage Aisha, the shades just all blend into one gold colour really...

4.png4.png

And I have to mention the invisible paintbrush as the cheapest pet colour. I mean it's not even a colour! Annoyed me so much when my poor Scorchio dissapeared...

Tyrannian Chia is a yellow Chia with a wig and a coat

2.png

Halloween Peophin is a blue Peophin with a Hat and a Cape

2.png

Halloween Aisha is a yellow Aisha with a body suit

2.png

Island Grundo is a white Grundo with a Mask and grass leggings

2.png

Desert Lutari is a brown Lutari with clothes

2.png

Christmas Buzz is just a darker shade of red with a Hat and Boots

2.png

and the WINNER is ................................ *drum roll*

the Christmas Eyrie !!! no comment , really !!

2.png

I agree most of the Faeries looked awful, I had just left them out because...I dunno, I assumed the artist thought yellow was a Faerish colour? The Faerie Blumaroo looks the worst, for sure. You think they could've added something else to it's wings or something.

The Ice Bruce does look horribly done. Entirely. xD You're right. It looks like they had just textured it.

I don't always mind the same coloured pets wearing different clothing, I mean, they could have placed a different shade or something, but the Lutari does look cool.

the Christmas Eyrie !!! no comment , really !!

Yeah. The Christmas Eyrie is pretty boring. How did I miss that? xD

The Tyrannian Shoyru is pretty much a contender for this, it just looks so plain compared.

It's tail is really weird. o_O Skin graft much? And what are with it's shoes? xD Someone hates Shoyrus.

Ghost Grundo is awkward. Most Ghost pets looks evil and dead-ish, while this one is just a regular grundo with Ghost colors and glowing effect.

He looks like a happy glowing Grundo. Lol. More cute than scary for sure.

Pirate Kyrii is also disappointing.

The headband doesn't work so great....

Don't get me started, I'll never finish .. :D But anyway:

Faerie Garrl

4.png

I love the colours, but what's with the mustage?! It is supposed to be a Faerie, right?

Aubergine Chia

4.png

It looks like a Purple Chia that lost some weight and orange speckles.

Maraquan Krawk

4.png

Although it's one of the most expensive colours in Neopia, it looks really poor. No shading, no dimensionality ..

Mutant Buzz

4.png

Compared to all other Mutants it looks under-done and well .. normal.

Faerie Garrl

4.png

I love the colours, but what's with the mustage?! It is supposed to be a Faerie, right?

Maraquan Krawk

4.png

Although it's one of the most expensive colours in Neopia, it looks really poor. No shading, no dimensionality ..

The faerie grarrl is kind of a dragon, so he gets whiskers like some dragons have

stock-illustration-5266942-eastern-dragon.jpg

That actually looks like a mistake on the maraquan krawk. I think it's actually supposed to be shaded and an artist forgot?

The Faerie Usul, which no one seems to have mentioned, is just a normal Usul with a pink bit of fur and badly shaped green wings.

2.png

Oh, and the wings hide the bow, so what's the point of having a bow if you can't see it? You'd have to put ot on another coloured Usul.

And I also dislike the Rainbow Usul as well...

2.png

I mean, really? Why couldn't the whole of the body be Rainbow as well? It's boring. And while I'm on that subject, I should mention the Pink Xweetok.

2.png

Do I even need to say any more?

2.png

I mean, really? Why couldn't the whole of the body be Rainbow as well? It's boring.

For a bit of trivia, the Rainbow Usul used to have an all-rainbow body (at least when I started playing Neopets). TNT changed the design so it can look like the plushie back in 2003 or something.

For a bit of trivia, the Rainbow Usul used to have an all-rainbow body (at least when I started playing Neopets). TNT changed the design so it can look like the plushie back in 2003 or something.

Actually, I think that was the Cybunny? I remember seeing a question asked about it somewhere, because I think the Cybunny is quite like the Usul as well when it's rainbow?

The original Maraquan Krawk was so beautiful! I had mentioned in another post how customization managed to destroy some pets utterly. I think the Maraquan Krawk was a major victim -- especially since a lot of Maraquans were left general in the same pose as before customization. I mean, I'm so glad my dreamie Draik still pretty much looks the same!

Faerie Garrl

4.png

I think like someone else had stated, it's supposed to make him/her look like a Faerie "dragon" since the T-rex sort of has a Dragon-like form. My Draik has the same thing. However, they could have made them longer or a bit more whisker like - cause that's what they are supposed to be!

Mutant Buzz

4.png

Compared to all other Mutants it looks under-done and well .. normal.

The Mutant Buzz looks almost grass-like, not very Mutanty. Not scary either. You're right. It looks so normal for a Mutant. o_O

2.png

I mean, really? Why couldn't the whole of the body be Rainbow as well? It's boring. And while I'm on that subject, I should mention the Pink Xweetok.

Yeah. Isn't that supposed to be more a Xweetok thing anyway (where the full body isn't painted but some of the fur?) How random.

The Faerie Usul, which no one seems to have mentioned, is just a normal Usul with a pink bit of fur and badly shaped green wings.

The Faeries apparently have taken a beaten! Maybe they need to revamp their Faeries?

Speaking of unconverted, long ago (in an account I had totally forgotten about but remembered YESTERDAY (it's deleted), I had a Faerie Gelert, which looked liked this:

gelert_faerie_baby.gif

I remember I thought it was a horrible, boring design. I mean, it's feet were awkward, and it was a light yellow-ish with plan Faerie wings. It was cute it was sitting but beyond that...yeah.

I think the clay Jubjub is quite boring and was created without much thought, and the halloween jetsam... It looks like they just threw on whatever random things they could think of.

2.png2.png

I agree. But thankfully we can improve such colours with clothing.

Found another one I think is poorly done, Halloween Buzz:

4.png

Well somebody forgot to shave .. Really. Just a clothed Green Buzz with too much hair. It's a human wannabe :)

& Darigan Buzz:

4.png

It's not totally bad. I like the wings and the eyes, but otherwise it looks like a dark striped Buzz. I wouldn't pay 1.4 mil. for this (and I like a lot of Buzzes) ..

buzz_halloween_baby.gif

I never minded when the Halloween Buzz looked like it did before conversion. Probably because I didn't notice the teeny-tiny beard. :laughingsmiley:

The old Darigan Buzz was so much better:

buzz_darigan_baby.gif

Probably because it's body looked far more insect-like. The legs make the new Darigan look so cute compared to the original. Also, the pointed chin doesn't look so great on the redrawn one. But I guess they were trying to make it like the old one -- but had to use the newer model. I don't know what they could have altered to make it look better.

The Plushie-coloured Neopets have suffered a lot as well when I returned to Neopets. To be honest, I never really liked the converted Plushie pets. They don't look as adorable as the old Unconverted Plushie Neopets, many of which are very coveted by Neopets players.