The Daily Neopets Community Forums Missing Persons Task Force (TDNCFMPTF)

antiaircraft

"Wait... L-Laura?" Ariel stuttered. She had never seen her friends act like this, not even her mermaid friends. "N-no way..." But whoever this is is correct... she thought to herself. I really don't know what I'm doing... but I can't tell them that. Out of pure annoyance, Ariel smacked who she thought was Laura. "Why are you doing this? I thought we were all friends!" she yelled, tears trickling down her face. Then she turns to Mia. "Why is Laura acting like this?"

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Laura's face looked stunned, but quickly turned to rage. "You really like provoking shadow nodes, don't you, you sniveling brat!" sneered Tom, "You don't get it, do you? I can decimate you however I chose with ease."

Mia rushed to hold Ariel back. "Ariel, child, it'd be best if you stop provoking Tom."

"Sorry..." Ariel said. "I just fell unconscious when I was... I can't say it... anyway, I only woke up just now." She then backed away. Now she knew what Laura was, she was nervous. But Laura was always our friend... then where could she be if she isn't here? she thought to herself. She couldn't be... in the real world, could she? Ariel decided to flee, she couldn't take this shock any longer. She started running towards Winnie, but fell through another tear, the tear she came from before, the one leading to the anime world. She screamed, and landed in warm feeling arms, and then passed out.

She woke up a few minutes later lying down next to Winnie, a mermaid princess next to her. "Are you alright now?" the princess said.

"R-Rina?" Ariel was stunned. She hadn't seen Rina since the capture of her best friend in that world.

"I saw Gaito chase you through that tear," Rina said. "I was worried about you, but the tear closed up before I could warn you. I'd better go, before the tear closes up again." With that, Rina dived back through the tear before it closed up.

This gave Ariel courage to continue, so she ventured carefully towards Mia and Tom again, but doesn't attempt to provoke Tom this time.

I knew this would happen, Laura was doomed to be a major target of the Shadow nods, she knew to much and was too insane...

...not to mention she ran over one of them earlier with Winnie.

What could we do now? Just then FTX had a brilliant idea! The shadow nod might be controlling Laura, but it was still her body, and that meant it was still allergic to DOGS!

FTX scooped up Zorro, said a quick prayer for his safety, and launched him at the Shadow nod's head...

Extending this though to it's logical conclusion FTX also ran across the street at lighting to speed to the market, and grabbed a barrel of ORANGES!

Perhaps what was left of Laura in this shadow nod would shrink back in fear of the oranges, it wasn't a sure bet, it was worth a try,

FTX began hurtling oranges at the nod as fast as she could...

Anime rubs her eyes. That was quite a mess of information to sort through... And after sorting though a mess in AU-578 (Anime Universe 578- better known as Fairy Tail (manga)) as well. She shook her head, then quickly followed the others to the vault. She surveyed the area quickly.

"Ariel, do me a favor and keep the tears to 874 to a minimum? It's stable enough, but 873, 875, and 876 are rather shaky right now and I don't want them to fall to bits." she said. "Also, someone explain to me what Tom stands for?"

She then ducked out of the way of a barrage of oranges.

Laura shrieked. In her own voice she shouted, "WHY IN INSANITY'S NAME IS THERE ORANGES IN INSANITYLAND! I SPECIFICALLY HAD THEM BANNED!" Laura continued her rampage until it hit her.

She hands flew all over her body. It was hers! She was back! "I'm back! I'm back! I'm back!" Laura shouted as she jumped for joy. But she quickly stopped when she felt Tom's presence. He was still here.

You thought you could get rid of me, didn't you! You thought you were smart enough to destroy me. But you.... YOU WERE WRONG!

((I would have thought a shadow node would have introduced itself with its full name... Meh... this is an insane roleplay after all :P))

AA3 landed on the sidewalk. It was no longer easy to track AA; he had entered a city, where the daily ponderings and worries of millions permeated the most forgotten corners. Also, that faint malignity still lingered, though it seemed to have changed quality somewhat...

He suddenly became aware that, in a quite natural motion, the crowd had disappeared from the area. He was alone, and now that sense of danger grew stronger, more present, more focused. AA3 now had a sense of trepidation, as if he was entering an unprecedented challenge...

Shadow nodes are bound by the rules of reality, but only the ones that apply to them. They did not have to move where they were already.

In front of AA3, particles began to coalesce, as if in a miniature tornado. They clumped together, became visible, white flat flexible sheets that then bound together to form a towering human shape composed of paper.

Words manifested in AA3's head; his ears swore they hadn't heard them. Welcome, pitiful creature, to our domain. I am shadow node number 5. You may, perhaps, know me as Examinations. Each word was like a rule laid out, demanding to be obeyed...

AA3 felt the urge to vomit. Suddenly, beside that figure, there stood another shape, which, while human, managed to suggest things ancient, horrible, and very very sick.

Number nine,, 'said' the first figure, with more caustic malevolence than any human could ever hope to pack into two neutral words. So... good to see you here... but what exactly are you doing? ((Shadow nodes don't like each other :P))

I was here long before you were. I should be asking you that question, o paper-faced one, the other replied mockingly.

Whose face are you insulting? I've never seen a greener hue in the entirety of my existence!

That's the point. I am Illness, you red-penned buffoon.

Yes, and you are already making me ill.

You insult me?

To ask that question, you must be either deaf or very stupid. Since you are not deaf...

A flash of light set the paper figure on fire. The flames vanished just as quickly.

You would match your abilities against mine? it purred. Surely the Master of Reality would not permit such lack of discipline.

And how often does he notice these things? Your resorting to such 'rules' must indicate your lack of confidence.

While this exchange was occurring, AA3 was quietly slipping away. His hurried escape was due not quite as much to fear of the shadow nodes coming to an agreement as to the timed high-yield thermite explosive charges he had set.

While the resulting explosion was seen for kilometres around, it was to the shadow nodes merely a minor disruption, and their disagreement continued in the midst of the flames:

My designation is four numbers earlier than yours! This alone is proof of my power, is it not?

It merely serves to prove that my number is four numbers higher than yours. In addition, it is the perfect square of 3, which is earlier than your number; thus, I win both sides of the argument.

Well, the square root of my number is 2.23606797...

AA, of course, noticed the explosion immediately. The large quantity of superheated debris raining down onto the street had something to do with that. He quickly popped out a comm set and pinged AA3's communicator.

Tom's presence unnerved Laura.

Suddenly, Laura got this strange sensation. It was as though she was seeing into a whole new dimension. It appeared to be the real world, for Laura saw AA and AA3. She caught the conversation between the shadow nodes and quickly got an idea.

"Hey Tom," Laura taunted, "You do know that blood red isn't in style any more? And please, cramps? Sooo last season."

If Tom had a face, Laura knew he'd be glaring at her. And who exactly decided this, you miserable, fashion-less fool.

"Well, I reckon y'all haven't heard then," Laura said, suddenly putting on a rather believable southern accent, "There's a new sheriff in town, and she's taken over. Her name... her name is Midol." Laura whipped a capsule out of her purse and launched it at the glob of blood.

"Time Of Month, your time is up," Laura said as Tom melted away, never to be seen again.

((So the known shadow nodes are Shadow node 5 = Examinations, Shadow Node 7 = Tom (Time Of Month; death by Midol), and Shadow Node 9 = Illness. Is Illness the Shadow Node I ran over?))

((You aren't supposed to be able to run over shadow nodes, but that was in Insanity Land... Shadow nodes are not by definition bodily - they exist across vast stretches of space and multiple dimensions, though they are not omniscient. Killing a shadow node is not possible to my knowledge if you just destroy one of its manifestations.))

AA3 pulled his communicator from his backpack - it read, "AA". The text disappeared, and AA's face appeared; it probably had a slightly annoyed expression on it, but AA3, of course, couldn't tell.

There were other matters for him to be concerned about. The conversation had reached a conclusion.

We'll talk about this later, rasped one of the shadow nodes to the other.

From his backpack AA3 drew a sword which appeared to have no blade. The blade was about a metre in length. It was not, technically, a magical or insanity-operated weapon. It could be crudely described as possessing an infinitely sharp blade, but infinity is a variable, and besides, space is discrete. Suffice to say its invisible edge could cut through any object composed of baryonic matter with ease. Shadow nodes were not substantial in this sense, so it would not be that much use against them, but holding a weapon made him feel safer, especially since it had once been Death's second favourite.* Now, it was his.

AA3 muttered into his comm set, "I know you probably have a lot to say, but can it wait a few minutes?"

*reference Terry Pratchett's Discworld series. :D

Laura pulled off her hat and morphed it back into the helmet. She put it on and morphed into her true form pure insanity.

She took a deep breath. She felt as though she was back home. Back on the countryside of InsanityLand. She had never been much of a city girl. The only thing she liked about the city was the shopping. Laura quickly jolted back to reality when she felt something buzzing.

What can that be, she thought. I'm in pure insanity form. I can't feel anything. Insanity is practically a gas....

She sighed and morphed back into her human form. "Well," she said, "I guess I ought to find the source of that annoying buzzing."

It appeared to be a communicating device of some sort. A fuzzy face appeared on it and voice started talking. "Earth to Laura, we've got so much to do! Get your butt in gear!" It was Mia, who happened to be standing just two feet away. Laura glared at Mai, then playfully shoved her. "C'mon!" she shouted, waving her hand, "Let's go!"

Mia began walking, but stopped and said, "I think we ought to talk to AA first. Let him know that we killed a Shadow Node."

Laura sighed. "Fine, I'll text him as we go."

Laura began to type the text.

AA, it's Laura. We managed to kill a Shadow Node. It was Time Of Month; we threw Midol at him. Fitting death, I'd say. Haha, well, please let us know how you are doing, and what we can do to help. We're going to go open the vault and get the rest of the old Metroid RP characters out. Maybe your old self will be able to do something.

Laura hit the send button, and waited for a response.

((D: late post is LATE. SORRY. D< my internet keeps on disconnecting. ))

Anna watched at everything that was going on and waited till Laura melted "TOM" away.

When Laura stopped, she coughed to get everybody`s attention.

" So...Everybody if you didn't know AA3 disappeared while AA is in "reality". As AA says from the PM he gave me, both of them are in reality. " She said and sighed.

She looked at the vault ahead and said "Anybody want to open the vault there? " She smiled and pointed to the vault to brighten things up.

"Oh hi there Mia the ruler of Muffins AMIRITE? " She said waving at Mia, giving her a big grin.

I really miss the old days. She thought.

Zorro climbed to the top of Anna`s head and stood up and shouted "HEY! WHO THREW ME TO THAT SHADOW NODE?! IM GOING TO HURTTT YOUUUU GRRR"

AA3's communicator, which had been set to intercept all messages, intercepted one at that moment. It read:

AA, it's Laura. We managed to kill a Shadow Node. It was Time Of Month; we threw Midol at him. Fitting death, I'd say. Haha, well, please let us know how you are doing, and what we can do to help. We're going to go open the vault and get the rest of the old Metroid RP characters out. Maybe your old self will be able to do something.

So that's what was inside that vault, he thought. But 'killing' a shadow node is impossible by simply affecting its manifestation, though she did a great job managing that alone... most likely it will take some time for it to create another one. They may be malignant, and incredibly powerful, but they aren't that smart, especially when they have nowhere to concentrate their thoughts.

He landed beside AA, turning off his comm set.

Mia laughed, "Heh, yeah, I guess I am, Anna. I guess I am"

Laura cracked her knuckles. "Alright, time to reminisce." She cracked the lock and the vault creaked open. A loud din could be heard as it poured out from behind the vault door.

And there...

"...My past," Laura breathed. "OH! It's so good to see you all!" She ran to hug everyone.

"Heya Jas." AA said nonchalantly as the Faerie Xweetok landed beside him. "Looks like the team back home is doing a good job huh? Well, we'd better get moving!"

CC stood there watching everything happening, she was a bit sad for not having a past but quickly cheered up for being in the current one. "Oh mai, Laura your past is so cute and Insane! So where is our next destination guys?" asked CC, she took her meepit back from FTX and started playing with it, "You didnt sleep for so long you little cute guy with a very cute nose" she went and put her in her comartment in Winnie and went back to the group.

"Well," AA3 began, "we'd better be quick about it - there are-"

There was a sound very much like someone irritatedly marking a cross with a red pen from behind him.

AA3 might have smoothly finished his sentence with something like 'two of those', but he missed out on this brilliant chance when he instead stated one of AA's more overused utterings:

"Oh, crap."

Anna got her dog who was on top of her head and put him down on the floor.

"Stay." She said to the dog.

She nodded at Mia "Good, my memory is still in tact." She said and smiled.

"Laura?! OH MY... Is it really them?" Anna said as she ran to Laura.

"All right AA3, it's time to leave! Exit: stage left." AA grabbed the Xweetok roughly - there was no time for finesse - and punched a coded combination on a device attached to his left leg. The teleporter fired up, ran self-diagnostics, and ripped them 8 000 kilometres away in less than three milliseconds.

The teleport termination point, unfortunately, was several kilometres under the surface of the Pacific Ocean.

"Say hi to the dolphins there, are there any any dolphins there by the way?" asked CC with no knowledge of Geography. "by the way, do you know how to swim?"

"CC, why are you talking to yourself?" Laura asked. She was looking at CC who appeared to be talking to someone but there was no trace of anyone anywhere.

Laura shrugged her shoulders and assumed CC was just taking to the insanity here. She turned to the vault. "Now then, it's great to see everyone, but I need to know where AA is. Has anyone seen hi- Oh there you are! AA! AA, over here! I need to talk to you."

((AA, do you want to control your Metroid RP character, or can I for the time being?))

((Actually, Shadow Node 7 is still very much in existence - it will be some time before it can do anything, though, so for now you could say it is 'dead'.

Also, AA and I are now about 8000 km away from the two shadow nodes, under the Pacific ocean.))

After recovering from his surprise and gazing at his and AA's new surroundings - precisely, a heavily armed submersible device which was keeping them alive ((I discussed this with AA :P)) - AA3 noticed there was a door. Not really having figured out what had happened, before anyone or anything could stop him, he opened it, climbed into the air lock, closed the door behind him, opened the second door in front of him, and stepped into the pitch-black waters which are most commonly encountered at the bottom of the sea.

After a moment of realisation, he pulled a modified aqualung and a torch out of his backpack, flapped his wings experimentally, and began to propel himself towards what was most probably the surface, giving a famished shark a potentially fatal concussion on the way.

((Go ahead and control my Metroid RP character Laura, I'm a bit busy for two characters at the moment. :) ))

AA briefly considered asking AA3 to get back into the pocket submersible he had deployed just a few seconds earlier, but decided against it. He pinged AA3's comm to indicate that they should stay together, and powered the sub towards the surface, dodging the unconscious shark on the way.

He also took a few seconds to send a status update to the other team members (using an Internet connection courtesy of a nearby top-secret military communications station).

We've located two shadow nodes. I'm thinking we might be able to lure them into a trap in TDN, if we have sufficient time to prepare. How are you guys doing?