Gone Old Members

Strategos

For those of you whom have been here for the past couple months, I think you'll agree with me in the fact that these forums have died down dramatically. A quick scan of the boards show that the Roleplaying boards, once the most popular, has gone completely inactive. And the HOP sometimes does not even receive a single post a day. Because of the above, I thought that I would do my best to come into contact with members whom disappeared without explanation, and try to entice them to come back. Before I did that though, I thought that I'd just ask your opinion of whether I should do this, and if I should, how I should do this.

Proposed Ideas

Email (Newsletter)

Advertisement on TDN homepage Done on Dailies Page

Forum-related Activities

Neopets Giveaway Overruled

Real-life Giveaway Too expensive

Post on Neoboards Against T&C

Collaboration (Luna, can you explain more?)

Member/Staffer of the Month Unwieldy

Member Rating

Using "normal" welcomes

So sorry if I missed your idea.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's true, activity has gone down.

I'd say to contact the old members you can email them, though I'm not really sure how you'd entice them to come back. Maybe saying that everyone misses them would help?

Or maybe post an ad on the TDN homepage to get a bunch of new members? Of all of the new members you'll probably get, at least some of them will turn out to be really active.

I think I could post a forum advertisement in the news. I'll see what I can come up with. Perhaps we can persuade Xepha to make a cool graphic or something. :O

I've noticed this as well. I think, if we had more forums-related activities (like the plushie giveaway), we could convince more members to stick around longer. :yes:

And I'm also sad that the RP forum has died. :( Even if a new RP was made, the only people that would even bother to post would probably just be AA and I. :/ No one else seems interested.

If anyone has any idea with not only to get some old members back but how to keep new (and old) members active on the forums and wanting to post here - POST THEM!

I think I could post a forum advertisement in the news. I'll see what I can come up with. Perhaps we can persuade Xepha to make a cool graphic or something. :O

:O! TJ wants to slave me at graphics again! Oh noes XD

It's true that some people have disappear, but we get a fair amount of new members too lately...

Roleplay never interested me, and the HOP is just plenty silly for me to enjoy it. I usually don't bother at all to look into the Random Chit Chat section.

I think we should try to get the ALP started again.

What's going on with Jerrypteri? Are you guys getting any closer to getting him back?

Anyway, we could always just start a temporary ALP account until we do get him back.

And you could ask some people to donate (which I'm sure some people would).

It's just that the ALP was a big incentive for me to join the TDNF, though now I stay because I really like the community.

It seems like we're all in favor of both getting new members and getting old members back, and then getting both groups to stay. I have a template letter below for old members, does anyone have any suggestions to make?

Hi (name),

All of us here at TDN forums miss you extremely, and we'd all like you to come back. (another reason?) If there's a specific reason why you left, and therefore don't want to come back, could you at least tell us what that is so that we could try to fix the problem? Thanks for considering returning to TDN.

I think we should try to get the ALP started again.

What's going on with Jerrypteri? Are you guys getting any closer to getting him back?

Anyway, we could always just start a temporary ALP account until we do get him back.

And you could ask some people to donate (which I'm sure some people would).

It's just that the ALP was a big incentive for me to join the TDNF, though now I stay because I really like the community.

Jerry has had no word from TNT yet, so we're all still waiting. There is a big update planned for the ALP but its sort of on hold right now. We might reopen pet lending applications soon - that was planned for last week, but then something else happened so it got pushed back again - but items will stay down until we hear from TNT :(

Asking for donations is risky... technically, we're not allowed to. It could get us iced, again. Thats why the donation shop Jerry had was more of a myth and we almost never linked to it directly.

Neopoint donations are illegal? Isn't that the point of a guild shop?

I don't remember it saying in the rules it's illegal to ask for donations...

Sorry if this is off-topic.

It seems like we're all in favor of both getting new members and getting old members back, and then getting both groups to stay. I have a template letter below for old members, does anyone have any suggestions to make?

I think we could get Ian to send a newsletter to all forums members... it's more official, yaknow.

Wow, kewl! I usually role play on html chat and live chat so the whole board rp thing is still very new to me..I guess I'll peruse there and see what I see.

Thank you!

I agree, but I think we also need to ask them for their feedback about why they left TDN, in the first place. While a lot of active members have left, I'm sure they haven't forgotten about TDN. In my case, I had a lot going on in my life, and so I didn't find a lot of time in my hands. Now, that things are a little better, I found time to come here and become more active again. But, that doesn't mean I forgot about TDN.

I think people just leave because, they have their own lives to worry about and they don't feel they owe like an "explanation" about why they're leaving.

But what about people who register, post 10 messages (or less) and then forget to come back? We want them to be back too, not just the oldie Super Members and Fantastic Members...

I joined a little while back and for the longest time I just checked the dailies and didn't even come here. I didn't really think of coming here until I had questions. Maybe I'm not the only one that this has happened to?

I don't think giveaways are such a good idea, because TNT banned one of TDN's accounts for doing that. Although I do like giveaways if I'm on the receiving end.

Hm. Tecnically, we could have a giveaway, but it'd be a little hard to plan. And on top of that, people'd join, try for the required number of posts, and more than likely leave after. I've done enough giveaways to know it'll happen. We'll get a boom, and then 80% will go inactive.

And as for the frozen account, I managed to get it back as a normal side account.

I think one of the problems with getting new members is English. While it's certainly the most common language if you include second and thirds, there aren't that many Neopets players whom speak English whom want to devote part of their time to a forum. But then again, most of us don't speak a common second language, so we can't have forums in a different language, or even moderate that. Plus, that wouldn't integrate them into these forums.