Gone Old Members

Strategos

The members pane, configure with extra search options restricting members to 100+ posts whom have not accessed TDN before November/December 1 in three years, shows that a lot more members disappeared between 11/01/2007 and 11/01/2008 than 12/01/2006 and 11/01/2008. Although I may have configured it incorrectly because it sometimes returned odd results.

About the hacker incidents, if only the staff knew about them, why would that scare regular members away?

Finally, something that I have not considered at all. Yes, college is stressful, and I didn't take aging into account. And unfortunately for me, I can imagine how stressful, since I'm in a Pre-Calc class, but that doesn't matter too much. But we'd still like new members, wouldn't we?

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think that point only depends on where you live too...

you people up north are in that situation....

however...i'm from the south...in australia...and we are going into our summer holidays...

so if the majority of people using this site are from the northern hemishpere...then yes you will get that problem...

also...i find neopets as a way of procrastinating...as i am currently undertaking further education....other may do the same...

We are not saying we don't want new members. We are trying to convince you that TDNF is not dying.

And there were regular members that knew what was going on when the hacking was occurring, but we needed to delete the threads to keep the peace.

No, I know we all want new members. I was just restating our common belief, but I guess a question mark was not the best idea. It was supposed to be rhetorical. And yes, the use of the word dying was a bad choice. Perhaps the phrase "slowing down" might be better?

Oh, I see. I was less active during that time of the hacking, so I only assumed that there was one, because of the shutdown. Are the details of them still confidential?

Alright, so we all have different opinion about the level of activity of TDN, and that's fine. Please respect everybody's opinions and do not argue. This will be the only warning you will have and it applies to members and to staffers. We will have to close the thread if it gets out of hands.

Thank you for your attention and remember that we all want the best for TDN,

TDN Management

i know with me i started using TDN site for the dailies stuff months ago...but didn't sign up here until last month...if i knew then what i know now...i may have signed up earlier...if more information about the forums was on the main page...people may come over here...

That is what I said earlier. I know the staff is worried about an unrealistic increase in their work load, and that is a reasonable worry that should most definitely taken into account. Earlier though I suggested, and I don't think anyone commented on it, that a lot of people say they were on the site for a long time before they really got the whole forum thing. So if on the help pages, and dailies pages, it would only take moments of a staff members time, to add a link at the bottom that said something like, "More Questions? Something New To Contribute? Sign Up For The Forum!" That would eliminate some of what we see time and time again in the "New Members/Welcome" area when people say, "Been on the site a long time, but I only just noticed the forum."

That is the last point I'm going to make, and then I'm taking a break from this thread because it's getting a little heated, and I think some of the staff is taking offense to the suggestion that their site isn't in tip top shape. Which I understand them taking offense to because this IS the #1 Help Site, so less active or more active, whatever, they are still number one.

Not to mention that no one but the staff knows how much work they are putting in now, and how much additional work each of these new ideas would take them.

So as great as we think our ideas are, they might do more harm then good by taking the staff out of commission because they are so busy enacting all these things.

I love it here, and I don't care if we get a million new members or zero I will still love it here and be just as active. And I think in the end maybe that is just the best way to keep the forums active and awesome, just make sure the members we have right now are giving it their all. Be the best TDNers we can be, because the better we all are and the more we contribute, the better new members will enjoy it here. I don't want to cause any staff headaches or hurt feelings. You guys are awesome and you do everything for us, we so value all your hard work, and the last thing I want to do is cause you any more work on my account.You do enough already, so Thank You! My new idea for making the forums good is being good myself, and whatever the staff does or doesn't decide to do...I'm going to participate, and be grateful that we have this awesome site in any condition. I know what keeps me here isn't the activities or even the guides. It's the awesome people. So, I'm going to be as awesome as I can be, I hope you all do the same, and that will surely keep things going strong around for a long time to come.

I personally know what they do is the best. Even though, I was part of Content Staff for the shortest period of time, I witnessed all of the dedication these guys put into it. I truly admire and respect them for that. Having said that, I don't think they really are taking any offense, and all they're asking for is to share ideas in a peaceful matter. They want the best for the website, the forum, and for the whole community. And even if they are taking offense, I don't blame them. They care about the community that they're willing to dedicate extra time to find a way to help each other. And I think it's quite rude that some people join just to enter a contest or to ask a question and then leave forever. I'm saying 'some' because, not every person who leaves means to be rude. Here are some ideas and sorry if these ideas have already been posted.

1) Because of these hacking incidents, I think the best way to make people feel safe is to send an e-mail to all members with a few guidelines about what to do. For example, after the hacking on the main website, I now visit the forums before I visit the website. That way, if there has been a hacking incident, I would be aware of it before I attempt to visit the website. We can't really put a full stop to these incidents, but it will help to have a few guidelines about what to do.

2) Sometimes Staff are not on the forums, so it's hard to find out whether they've been informed about any incident (we don't know whether they might be on neopets or just sleeping). So maybe have like an emergency contact neopets account or something?

3) I disagree with the idea of a giveaway. I mean, we can't just buy people into the forums. And that shouldn't be the main reason for people to join.

4) I have expressed concern about the Off-Topic forum. I just think we need to have more strict rules because, if new members come and they know they have to reach at least 50 posts to enter any contest or activity, then they can just go to that forum and post anything really.

5) I think we should have a more variety of topics. Sometimes people just go random and change the topic from dragons to cooking. So it's very hard to keep up with those conversations OR to continue a topic a lot of people are interested about. That way we can limit the amount of random topics at the Off-Topic forum. A lot of people talk about movies so maybe have a Movies and TV topic? And then simply not allow people to post movie conversations on the Off-Topic forum? In my opinion, that would make the Off-Topic forum a little less messy. Pretty much, find the most popular conversations from there and make a topic out of them.

Those are just ideas and my own personal opinion. I think we just need more organization, topic wise.

I will speak for myself, but I was not offended by anything that was said on this topic (so far) and I think it's great to discuss with members because they don't see things from the same seat than us.

There is usually always somebody from staff around the forums, so really just report whatever you see that is fishy or suspected and we will see it. Additionaly, you can email Ian or me using the contact form that is on the site.

I will make a banner for the dailies page that will advertise our forums. We already have a banner on the contact form and on all altador plot pages advertising the forums because I was getting about 10 questions regarding the plot everyday, so now some people who see it think to join the forums and ask their question here. (Which explains why so many new members need help with the Altador Plot)

Edit: Banner added at the bottom of http://thedailyneopets.com/dailies

It's a great banner, Xepha. However, I have a concern to express. I don't think many people scroll down to that part of the page, certainly I don't. Do you think that it would gain better exposure if it was moved perhaps higher up on the page?

No, it's going to stay at the bottom. The purpose of the page is not to gain forum members but to help with dailies. I don't want to push down the reason why this page is a hit (the dailies links).

It's a great banner, Xepha. However, I have a concern to express. I don't think many people scroll down to that part of the page, certainly I don't. Do you think that it would gain better exposure if it was moved perhaps higher up on the page?
How about a banner on the side of the page, I see that a lot of the side is empty. And it would be higher up without being in the way.

How about a banner on the side of the page, I see that a lot of the side is empty. And it would be higher up without being in the way.

The side navigation already includes a forum link, right under the 'home' link... so I don't think it's necessary.

XD This topic has gone quite a distance since I last checked in...

When it comes to drawing in new members, I don't think anything can beat word of mouth (or word of instant messaging, etc.). If you have friends that you think would be interested, tell them about the forums. :yes: I would personally feel more inclined to check out a site if I had been told about it by a friend, and I think that applies to most people as well.

Getting members to stay is an entirely different matter - we have many people who sign up, post a welcome topic, and then disappear again. Before we can do anything about that we need to figure out why they do this (any volunteers? :P ). It's just a hunch, but I don't think there's actually a problem with our forums that's driving new members away - instead, I think that the forums just lack the extra 'STAY' factor to get them to come on regularly and remain active (either that or our insanity scares them off (: ). That's why I proposed having more forum events: not to 'buy' members in or anything of the sort, but to make the difference between an awesome community and a pwnsome one; to elevate this place that one step needed to grab attention and keep it. :yes:

Now, it's been mentioned at several points throughout this thread that a potential problem with having events is that staff won't have the time to run them. As a staff member myself, I agree that between real life commitments and contributing to the site, staff members would be hard pressed to conduct a single site event, let alone a number of them. But let me make a point here: forum events do not have to be staff run. We have an incredible community here, with many dedicated members, and I'm sure given a little time we could easily organise whatever events we come up with. What else is a community for? ;)

GASP! AA made a spelling mistake perfectly acceptable alteration of a word's spelling!

I can help to organize an event, if I'm put in the right position. I can't do much with graphics if it is called for, but I can lend creative inspiration for a plot or something. What I'm saying is, we should do something! For fun's sake! And with that, more people will stay for more! :D

Y'know, all the fun here involves other members, so we're kinda here for each other.

o_O... That sounded kinda sappy... didn't mean it like that... oh well.

Morgan edit: It can be "organise" as well. :P

Another edit: Not according to my dictionary... and it knows all. o_O

Anime edit: They're both correct. Ones the British spelling, the other American.

AA edit: Anime is correct. I mostly use British spelling in my posts.

Revenge's second edit: Well, case closed, then. For my ignorance, I apologize.

...Or is it 'apologise'? XD

Crusher edit: I spaketh the Englishman's language. Apologise it is! :P

Getting members to stay is an entirely different matter - we have many people who sign up, post a welcome topic, and then disappear again. Before we can do anything about that we need to figure out why they do this (any volunteers? :P ).

Well, I have a theory.

The last time I introduced my friend to TDNF, she probably was a newbie to the forum thing full stop and didn't know how to get involved.

Maybe the people who joined and left TDNF were new to foruming and didn't know what forums were meant for so they decided to just 'leave'.

I'm not sure if we can do anything about this but that was definitely the reason why my friend didn't post at all after her welcome topic.

Well, I have a theory.

The last time I introduced my friend to TDNF, she probably was a newbie to the forum thing full stop and didn't know how to get involved.

Maybe the people who joined and left TDNF were new to foruming and didn't know what forums were meant for so they decided to just 'leave'.

I'm not sure if we can do anything about this but that was definitely the reason why my friend didn't post at all after her welcome topic.

Yes, I know what you mean Stephanie... it happened with at least 3 of my friends too. I don't think we can do anything about that...

Well, I have a theory.

Maybe we could have some sort of "Newbie" guide? Just a quick tour around the forums and a list of how to get involved in the forums? Say for example, post a message on the welcome topic introducing yourself, and then just take it from there?

I think that's also why I said we should have more specific topics (the most popular ones).

Well, I have a theory.

I think some people may just get the idea that this forum is immature. When people post a good intro post, you get people saying that this forum is insane or about the snack table.

I think more people would rather than a detailed welcome post, rather than "Hi im (Name), this place is crazy, and go get some snacks from the table"

Reading that, they might think there won't be able decent conversations, if they start off seeing that.

He has a point.

In real life, if you first met a group of people, you try to start off intelligently and they all warn you of their lack of sanity and suggest you take some food from a table, both of which are not there or anywhere near the place they pointed, what would you do?

Run away before you get hurt?

Exactly.

First impressions are the most important, something I agree with even though I'm horrible at making them. Let's save our true natures till they get comfy, 'kay?