Gone Old Members

Strategos

Lol, but the insanity and snack table are kinda like tradition. Just about on every welcome thing I see, it almost always involves insanity or a snack table.

It true though. I guess some people may get the impression that the overwhelming majority of this forum is immature.

Not the kind of impression we want to give if we're trying to get new members.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have officially entered the weird zone. T_T And with that, I take the 1000th floor.

You entered the weird zone and accepted it as your home when you first signed up here. You know that, right?

Maybe there should be a big sign on the registration form saying:

CAUTION: YOU ARE ABOUT TO ENTER THE WEIRD ZONE!!

Give 'em a heads up, you know?

Lol, but the insanity and snack table are kinda like tradition. Just about on every welcome thing I see, it almost always involves insanity or a snack table.

And most topics its used on, the TC never stays around. I truly do think that is one of the main reasons.

I have looked into other forums newbie zones, and not one have I seen welcome people like here (which isn't a bad thing).

They just have a simple Welcome to the forums, they may say something about their post, and introduce themselves more. Which has turned their forum more active.

Maybe there should be a big sign on the registration form saying:

CAUTION: YOU ARE ABOUT TO ENTER THE WEIRD ZONE!!

Give 'em a heads up, you know?

That would be the same, give them the feeling that the forums is a joke, if I personally saw that, i would find another forum.

No, no, no... I was making a joke... just a little comic relief from all the seriousness going on here.

No, it's not a good idea to actually do that, but we don't want to seem boring. I, personally, came and stayed here because of its oddball atmosphere. It's my thing. I think if ever a reason to leave is because of our welcoming, it's not because of the strange things we say, it's that we, the really active ones who bother to reply to newbs in the first place, are so used to it it comes off kinda strong to those who aren't. It's because most of us just say the part about insanity and cookies and leave it at that, making the new guy go, "...WTF? Is this what I came here for?"

And, when you think about it, I've only ever seen us act weird on the non-neopets boards. And, like, 99% of the people who wish to sign up do so for neopets help. So, naturally, when they don't need anymore help from the forums, off they go. It's the ones that come here for neo AND the community that end up staying. And... well I'll just let you guys work with that. :)

I don't do the cookies and insanity stuff too often... I don't like. My welcome messages usually include that if they have questions about anything, I'm there to answer (and that's what I do on TDNforums ; answering questions!)

Thus said, I don't think we have so much problem keeping people... so yea. Next topic please?

An annual member rating event sounds like a good idea to me - it's not too complicated, and fun to participate in. :yes:

For the welcomes thing, I personally feel that there's nothing wrong with a touch of forum culture. I'd actually feel right at home if I was welcomed to a forum the way we do welcomings here (that's why I welcome that way XD ), but then I'm a weird person. I suppose we could trial more 'normal' welcomes for a while if it's really that important... just sneaking in my two cents. :P

That's two votes for the annual rating member thingamawhatsit. Who else will place their ballot? :D
I definately will place my ballot on the annual rating member whatsimating

Edit: lol, just noticed "whatsimating" has mating in it. oops, not my intended mix of words (I was messing with spelling)

For the past week we've been hinting at a new forums only activity! Well, it starts today! Or at least, the sign-ups do.

It's a rating game. Forums members can sign up to be rated by other members, signed up or not. But before you all go and sign up, let me explain the rules.

• To enter, just post on this board. I'll post a final list before the rating starts to be sure I didn't miss anyone.
  • You can rate all of the members signed up, or just one- if you don't know someone very well, don't rate them just to bring their score up/down.
  • Don't rate all high just 'to be nice' or low 'beacuse you felt like it'. We'd like these scores to be honest.
  • The ratings system is on a 1 to 10 scale.
  • All the ratings will be averaged together, meaning if you got all 10s but one person voted 1 for you for whatever reason, your score could drop by as low as 5.5. In other words, your overall score might not reflect everyones opinion of you.
  • To rate, PM me, Anime Heart. Do NOT post them here, if they are - the post will be deleted and the rating not be counted.
  • When rating, please don't tell me why you rated someone high/low- that's your business, not mine.
  • Don't go around saying "I rated you this and you that." Anything of that sort will be deleted and you'll get warned about it.
  • If you want, at the end of the event we can give you a list of the ratings you got, but we will NOT say who voted what. If one or two people rated you really low, don't go around asking/accusing people of the low rates. This will result in the offending posts being deleted and you getting an official warning.
  • Your prize will be based on your average. We'll multiply your average by 1000 and that will be the amount you get. Prizes can be items or NP, just tell me which you want when you sign up. If you don't say, you'll just get NP.
  • Staff can't enter or rate. It'd be unfiar since we'd either get really high or really low votes, and we're bound to be biased towards some people since we can see member notes and all.

When you post your entry, use this form:

Display Name: 
Prize type: (NP or item)

And when you rate, the format needs to be Name: rating, with only one rating per line. This is so I can retain what's left of my sanity while I sort through and average all of these.

Sign ups end on the 14th. Ratings will start on the 15th and end on the 21st. We'll try and get the scores up and prizes out on the 22nd, or the 23rd if something goes wrong.

Be sure to check out TDN's December Hunt!

DISCLAIMER. READ THIS BEFORE SIGNING UP.

As stated above, your average reflects just that. An AVERAGE of the rates you get. Please do NOT be offended by your score, whatever it is. Remember, this is for FUN. If you get all worked up over it we won't be able to have fully user-controlled events like this in the future. If you're scared you'll get really low scores, you don't have to enter.

I've seen a lot of people with a banner that showed what rating they got. I just thought I was really unlucky not to have been there at the time, but if it's annual then everyone could get a chance every year (or so). It also makes it more fun! A little December event like the AC! Or like the other AC in June if you don't like that analogy. :)

I just think it's fun...

I agree with the voting thing, but I don't remember if last time, we had people complaining about how low they scored? I wouldn't want peoples' feelings to get hurt if they take it way too personal. We might end up losing members because of it. And I still have my rating signature below, for those who want to see what it looks like.

As a prize, I agree it should be a Graphic. Maybe we could have the rating during Christmas time, so that the winner gets a nice Christmas set of their choice? I think this would be a good idea because, TDN will probably have activities where everyone can participate. So even if they get a "low" score, they won't feel too down. Just my opinion.