Business casual

Naamah D.

I volunteer at a place where band tees, shirts with logos, facial piercings and tattoos aren't allowed on the job. I was basically told to dress like I'm going to my grandparents' house. Would it be illegal for a PAYING job to fire me for wearing band tees and shirts with logos (I don't have tattoos or face piercings and really don't plan on it)? I don't wear stuff with cuss words, slurs and drug logos on them but I'm more goth/tomboy/alternative and still keep that image at my volunteer job (dark colors like green, black, brown, gray and blue) yet wouldn't be offensive to my grandparents. 

I heard that it's against civil rights for your boss to tell you to stick to dress code outside of work. I also read that dark colors are more professional and mature looking at jobs than bright and in-your-face pastel colors. I know how to dress for jobs but don't want to get in trouble for wearing jeans and a band tee outside of work. 

NOTICE: I would NEVER wear anything that promotes offensive topics outside of work. I just mean a pair of non-ripped jeans, a tasteful t-shirt with a logo (I have a Sailor Moon shirt that I absolutely love as well as a Loch Ness Monster shirt) and sneakers or hiking boots. 

11 hours ago, shauns_fiancee said:

you would need to look up the laws in your own country / provice / state etc, but if you've signed anything then yes, they can fire you.

Eating and affording my own place is more important than wearing t-shirts. I’ll just have to wait and see. 

So is it your paying job that is enforcing a dress code, or a place where you are volunteering?

When you accept a job, you are basically going into an agreement with your employer - you agree to follow their rules and do the work, and they agree to pay you for your time. If you are talking about a paying job I'd say just follow the dress code ?

If you are volunteering and they are requesting that you dress a certain way, that is probably because when you are there, you are representing their company/cause. If you don't agree with the dress code they have requested, maybe try volunteering somewhere else? But in my opinion if you want to help them out, and it's just a few hours a week, why not just not wear t-shirts with logos? 

Basically either way I'd say just follow the dress code. It sucks sometimes, but is it really worth missing out on a volunteering opportunity or a paying job? No.

On 1/31/2021 at 9:53 AM, gwendolyndolyn said:

So is it your paying job that is enforcing a dress code, or a place where you are volunteering?

When you accept a job, you are basically going into an agreement with your employer - you agree to follow their rules and do the work, and they agree to pay you for your time. If you are talking about a paying job I'd say just follow the dress code ?

If you are volunteering and they are requesting that you dress a certain way, that is probably because when you are there, you are representing their company/cause. If you don't agree with the dress code they have requested, maybe try volunteering somewhere else? But in my opinion if you want to help them out, and it's just a few hours a week, why not just not wear t-shirts with logos? 

Basically either way I'd say just follow the dress code. It sucks sometimes, but is it really worth missing out on a volunteering opportunity or a paying job? No.

That does make sense. I plan on working in a daycare which means comfortable clothes that I can get craft paint and bleach from cleaning on. Outside of work, I could always show off my personality with other clothes without logos. 

• 2 months later...
On 2/4/2021 at 6:51 PM, Naamah D. said:

That does make sense. I plan on working in a daycare which means comfortable clothes which I  buy vlone clothing that I can get craft paint and bleach from cleaning from cleaning on. Outside of work, I could always show off my personality with other clothes without logos. 

That is a good thing which you follow regarding your clothes. I really inspired by your words.

This post has been edited by a member of staff (Duma) because of a violation of the forum rules.
Please do not bump topics that are no longer relevant, please create a new topic.
Per the reason above, this topic has been LOCKED.

• Duma locked this topic