Captcha submission

flpatsfan

I hope I'm in the right place for this, if not, I apologize.

I was playing a game and went to check my profile page to see if the game counted and I had a Captcha box that I had to check to be sure I wasn't a robot. I checked the box and a series of pictures popped up asking me to click how many of the pics had water in them, I clicked those particular pics, was told I'm not a robot and then brought to my page.  

Did I miss a topic or an article/editorial in the Nat'l Neopian on this?

Can anyone clarify this please?

Yes, that happened to me to but when trying to see a pets profile so I guess its UL and pet lookups. But I didn't need to click pictures! How do I check if Captcha or Neopets could access my webcam? I remember this being a potential issue with Ghoul Catchers and tech requirements 

I don't have a webcam, and just started playing Ghoul Catchers, but I am not sure they can access your webcam unless you give them permission.

Yes, that happened to me to but when trying to see a pets profile so I guess its UL and pet lookups. But I didn't need to click pictures! How do I check if Captcha or Neopets could access my webcam? I remember this being a potential issue with Ghoul Catchers and tech requirements 

Anyone could potentially access/hack your webcam at ANY time without your knowing it.  My webcam is right above my screen and I keep a piece of masking tape over it at ALL times just in case someone is able to hack it, they won't see a darn thing.  This has been going on for a LOOOOOONNNGG time.  My husband asked me why I have tape on my webcam and I told him.  Women have been watched while changing in their bedroom, etc.  ALWAYS keep tape over your webcam unless you are using it.  CAPTCHA is nice, for the purpose of the website, but it won't prevent someone from hacking into your webcam.

It's a new security feature to make sure bots can't quickly edit pages with malicious code.

We'll see how it turns out, hopefully it's successful.

Ghoul Catchers doesn't actually access your webcam. It's just to prevent older devices from being able to download/use it.

I don't really see how this adds any security though. I could see if it were on the page where you edit your pet's page or your profile, but for me the captcha only comes up when viewing someone else's profile or pet page. Is it really possible for random bots/hackers to edit pages just by viewing them...?

It seems that they made a good adjustment when it comes to your own account, I can now look at my UL and my pets without having to use Captcha at all.  This works fine for me as I am usually checking my UL to be sure my games played number is increasing to each new game.  Working hard for that Top Gamer avatar. :)