Nay to kiosk salespeople

faerie1811

Ever get stopped in a mall by one of those kiosk salespeople? Well, today I got stopped by one and ended up $116 poorer than when I arrived at the mall... The guy was super nice and informative and the products are good (I had previously used some I got as a gift). It's just frustrating to me that I can't say "no" very well to people; I like to be nice/understanding/polite and helpful. It makes me wonder if I'm too nice or something? Normally I just keep walking and don't stop to talk to kiosk people because I know I don't handle those situations well, but today I got body blocked and left with not much of a choice but to talk to the kiosk guy. He gave me a pretty good deal and I will use the things I bought; I'm just annoyed with the fact that I couldn't get myself to say "no" and walk away without buying... How do you deal with situations like this? Any tips for an overly nice person like me to be able to say "no"?

I know the feeling all too well! I believe they work on a commission so they have to be extra pushy to sell their things because people will simply take a look as they walk by without stopping. I was at a fairly large mall and got ambushed like you to try this hair appliance thing, so the lady did my hair a little bit. Afterwards it looked like crap though. I had curly parts and straight parts after she was done showing me with this thing could do. At the time I rarely did anything with my hair except either pig-tails or put it up in a pony. So I definitely was not interested even though it was neat. I made an excuse that I had to go to the bank first and I felt a little bad, but I didn't go back. Another time I spent over $500 on luxury face care products from a company called Vine Vera. They just opened their kiosk that day so she gave me a really good deal on the products and I actually saved a huge chunk of money. I'm so glad I bought them! I got several different products and my favorite is the Day Cream. It's so smooth and hydrates really well with only using a small amount. My husband kind of convinced me to get some of the products too because it was our 2nd year anniversary.

Sometimes even telemarketers calling for charities can be a bit annoying. I know they have a job to do and they may have a good cause, but when someone says "no I'm sorry" and they don't listen and keep yattering at me for the next 10 minutes trying to sell me into donating. I don't like giving my info out on the phone and this person may say they're from some organization, but really how am I to know for sure.

I try to be as polite as possible and stick to not overspending. If the individual is not listening to no, then I say something like I have to go and leave the kiosk, or hang up the phone. :)

I know the feeling! And another instance I'm thinking of is when you are purchasing something from a store and the cashier pushes for your email address. And then the company ends up spamming your email with a ton of "deals" and offers. I'm always like, "Well... umm... n- ...ok, here it is." And then I regret that purchase/decision afterwards. 

Well, here's what I've learned throughout the course of all this "not being able to stick up for myself" nonsense. It's not personal for them at all, so we shouldn't feel personal about it either. You're just a face they're trying to sell to, and if you say no, they're going to turn and (well, maybe after several no's on your part) they'll target the next person walking by. They're not going to memorize your face and hate you for the rest of their life because you said no. :) (This last sentence is quite silly to say, but I think it does show how kind of silly it is to be afraid of saying no to someone just because we don't want to buy something they're offering.)

Secondly, maybe this will help you the next time you're stuck in a Yes Man situation--think about how much the item costs and then imagine all of the better things you could buy out there for yourself for that much money. For example, I would much rather spend my money on books or a birthday present for a friend than on a hair curler someone offers me in the mall. Thinking about that makes it easier to say no. 

So yeah, that's my two cents worth. :) Good luck in your quest for using that elusive answer no, and remember that no else will ever take it personally, so you shouldn't think that way either! 

I know the feeling. Sometimes they can be pretty pushy. Most of the kiosk workers are paid by commission, so they will try to keep you hooked no matter what and make it so you buy their product. 
I recently found a great way to basically get them to stop. This article I read said that once they do their chit chatting and are refusing to let you go, just tell them, "Cool, I will have my significant other/parents/someone you know buy it for me next week". They can't really attempt to sell you the product more because you stated that you would have someone purchase it for you, and they can't really pressure you to buy it because you said someone would, just not today. This way, you don't need to be rude or impolite, but you also don't have to spend a ton of money on products you don't necessarily want or need. :)

I know the feeling. Sometimes they can be pretty pushy. Most of the kiosk workers are paid by commission, so they will try to keep you hooked no matter what and make it so you buy their product. 

I recently found a great way to basically get them to stop. This article I read said that once they do their chit chatting and are refusing to let you go, just tell them, "Cool, I will have my significant other/parents/someone you know buy it for me next week". They can't really attempt to sell you the product more because you stated that you would have someone purchase it for you, and they can't really pressure you to buy it because you said someone would, just not today. This way, you don't need to be rude or impolite, but you also don't have to spend a ton of money on products you don't necessarily want or need. :)

Did you read that on Cracked? I was just thinking about posting a comment with this very same information (especially with just having read the article yesterday), but I see you beat me to it!

Did you read that on Cracked? I was just thinking about posting a comment with this very same information (especially with just having read the article yesterday), but I see you beat me to it!

I did read that on Cracked! I actually read it last night hahah, I love Cracked articles. 

You are too sweet!

If you will use the product, there is no problem buying the items you want.

I must be mean. I just walk on by and ignore them, no matter if they get in front of me, or walk next to me. I don't feel bad about it one bit.

I tend more towards the "fake bathroom break" style of getting out of it.  When they start their spiel, I look interested, but as they drone on and on about the "wonders of the product", I start to get antsy and act like I have to use the restroom.  If they ignore it, I get real insistent and mention it to them;  that tends to get them out of whack rather quickly ;)

I am actually quite blunt about saying "no" - I find it quite offensive that they approach me so aggressively and won't respect my soft "no". I know they're only pushy because they have to be, but I find it the "hard sell" a very manipulative practice. And it just makes me so angry! lol

So I don't smile, but I say very kindly & sweetly "no, thank you!" and discontinue eye contact and get out of there quickly.

I would say it is okay to buy the product if you use it, but also think about whether you would rather save the money for something else.

I haven't had this problem at the mall. I usually walk very intently and quickly towards particular stores I like. The kiosk people will say "hi" and maybe hand me a flyer, but they never pressure me to buy anything. Perhaps I have one of those looks that just tells people I don't want to be bothered.

I have had other situations with a person trying to sell me something where I'm walking more casually, like at a street fair, for example. In those cases if a person comes up to me I say "no, thank you" and keep walking before they can really talk to me because I don't have a lot of money to spend in the spur of the moment on some item I probably don't really need. Anyway, there's always people who are in the right position and will buy these items.

I once got stopped in a mall by a guy selling some beauty products, since I was actually looking for something to buy I listened to his spiel and spent about $150. It turns out that though the samples were good the actual product was terrible and dried out after about 1 month. I lost my trust in kiosk salesman after that.

Now I just ignore them and walk past, or if they manage to block me, say "Not interested," and walk away. No smile. No emotion. I am a cold, hard rock you cannot crack.  :shiftyeyes_anim: It's mean but it works for me.