Neopets pop culture refs

jellysundae

There are so many out there, in item names and descriptions, but I've only just realised that Yippee! is poking fun at Yahoo!  :rolleyes_anim: :laughingsmiley:

Even the founders' names, lol.

"Yippee was founded by David Fuzio and Jubjub Yang way back in early Year One. Yippee currently provides search services for Neopia Central and plans to expand their directories to include Maraqua, the VirtuPets Space Station and Faerieland. Slogan: You name it, we will find it!"

"Yahoo was founded by Jerry Yang and David Filo"

What ones have you spotted/are your favourites?

My favorite is the Two Ring. People who aren't familiar with Lord of the Rings may skim right by that one, but I'm sure a few of us caught it. (Literally, in the fishing hole!)

I like the small nod to Austin Powers - "Who throws away a shoe, anyway?" - on the old rotten shoes.  Oh and the Futurama one - Morbo - he says "Windmills do not work that way!" and the description of The Way Windmills Work is "Windmills do, in fact, work that way".

I giggle childishly at this one :shiftyeyes_anim:

toy_miniwheelofmonotony.gifWe heard you liked spinning the Wheel of Monotony... Now you can spin the Wheel of Monotony while spinning the Wheel of Monotony!

Was going through my sdb the other day, and I found a Dark Villain Usuki Doll. It's totally a Darth Vader usuki that reads "join me, and together we shall earn neopoints!" I was so excited I found that just in time for the new movie :P

The Foreman Usuki looks like Princess Leia too imo. As a person who loves mixing words around, I enjoy the ghoti/fish reference. Did you know that chop = ship? /Ch/ as in chandelier, /o/ as in women...and then the /p/?  

The Wheel of Extravagance is a reference to Stargate. There are a lot of references and they make me smile and giggle every time I come across them  :D

There's also the Cheerful Sponge Kiko Plushie - "This plushie will feel at home anywhere, even if you decide to put it in fruit under the ocean for some reason."  

One of the few references I actually get!

The partner plush to that is the Friendly Brown Gelert Plushie, which is a reference to the JumpStart series of learning games (which starred a brown dog named Frankie).Those two plushes were given out when Jumpstart bought Neopets from Viacom (Nickelodeon), and when you place the plushies next to each other they are looking at each other.

The description of the Friendly Brown Gelert Plushie is "This is one friend who will love to jump around with you wherever you go! Even to maths class."

(I had Jump Start First grade as a kid, it was pretty fun.)

The partner plush to that is the Friendly Brown Gelert Plushie, which is a reference to the JumpStart series of learning games (which starred a brown dog named Frankie).Those two plushes were given out when Jumpstart bought Neopets from Viacom (Nickelodeon), and when you place the plushies next to each other they are looking at each other.

The description of the Friendly Brown Gelert Plushie is "This is one friend who will love to jump around with you wherever you go! Even to maths class."

(I had Jump Start First grade as a kid, it was pretty fun.)

I had the jumpstart games back when they had a frog as the main character. I havent seen any of those ones as items 

bva_blackvelvet_cloak.gifBlack Velvet Cloak, the description says "Contrary to popular belief, this cloak does not help you blend in with the shadows and become invisible. :(",  a reference to Harry Potter.   

The Sour Blue Slushie description: It is sour, and blue, da da dee da da da...  :laughingsmiley:  LOL

Also, The Chocolate Factory: Nobody ever goes in...nobody ever comes out, but we sell chocolate by the truckload! 

The Willy Wonka reference had me in stitches when I was little :)

There are so many good ones!

The Sour Blue Slushie description is in reference to the Eiffle 65 song I'm Blue "It is sour, and blue, da da dee da da da..." (Gosh I feel old)

I hope you get the song playing in your head any time you read that description, I know I do :laughingsmiley: