The End of the Caption Contest

qtiejelly

I just realised (after many months) that the Caption Contest is no longer ongoing ): Just came back to neopets to play after a few years of hiatus and Caption Contest was one of my favourites.

When did it stop???

I'm not 100% certain, but It ended around the same time they cancelled Lenny Conundrum. I'll do some sleuthing and see if I can find out how long ago that was.

EDIT

Sources say that Caption Contest ended March 11 2014. 

Random Contest ended October 2014

and Lenny Conundrum ended September 2013

TBH Lenny Conundrum was one of my favourite things on Neopets. 

Edited by SidtheSnail

I think they plan on bringing them back eventually right? The only reason they stopped was because of the new staff change.

The Neopian Times Editorial for issue 707 had this to say, for the Random Contest:

"Hi TNT! I've recently returned to the site and I submitted an entry to the pet spotlight. However, I've just found out that a lot of them aren't running right now. Could you please tell us, if and when we could expect to see features like the pet spotlight and random contest return? =) Many thanks! ~ thatlauralass
Hi! So the random contest was officially retired quite a while ago, but we expect the pet spotlight to be back up and running soon! Good luck!"

Still trying to find a reference for Lenny Conundrum, which I thought ended in September 2014, when Neopets transitioned to JS, but I believe it is not coming back, either. As far as the Caption Contest, tying to find something for that, too, as I thought they were going to try to bring it back. I thought Caption Contest may have ended March of this year, as I remember TDN'ers asking for Caption Contest votes. (I joined TDN in October 2014).

EDIT: This is my own personal take, but I don't believe staff change had much to do with it. More along the lines of getting the site to work properly after the server change and those items weren't priority, and they felt best to cancel/retire them vs. trying to get them to work again or spend the time on them, when efforts/time could be used for more important things. So, I wouldn't expect Random Contest or Lenny Conundrum to come back. I miss Lenny, too.

Hey guys, thanks for the info!  

Caption Contest ended March 11 2014. 

Random Contest ended October 2014

and Lenny Conundrum ended September 2013

They've halted for over a year now, (2 years for Caption!) looks like there isn't really any hope of them returning anymore :/

It's really sad to see these contests retire though.

Then again recently I went to dig some research on some collectable items like stamps and Smuggler's Cove battle items. Paying 72mil for a Stamp and 1 bil for Super Attack Pea made my jaw drop. Gawd.

It might be my opinion only but this makes it very difficult for new members to join in, especially if they are set on collecting items... Time to make a wish in the wishing well for TNT to bring those retired items back into circulation hahaha.

the CC didn't end .. officially

they just put it on the side to finish fixing the site .. it hasnt been 2 years .. it stopped updating around March .. so .. 9 months ago only , im sure itll be back ... 

the RC and LC were officially retired by TNT

I'm still hoping for Lenny to come back, the avatar isn't retired yet and that gives me hope. I never got to play it because I never really knew about it. The page for it is still up and there's nothing talking about it being over on it.

Also... I had tdner's asking for votes on captions just last year, so it had to of ended recently. I wonder if maybe those dates were wrong or if the captions were for the random contest???

the CC didn't end .. officially

they just put it on the side to finish fixing the site .. it hasnt been 2 years .. it stopped updating around March .. so .. 9 months ago only , im sure itll be back ... 

the RC and LC were officially retired by TNT

But it stopped in March 2014... Now's Dec 2015....

Sigh RC and LC were fun ):

I'm still hoping for Lenny to come back, the avatar isn't retired yet and that gives me hope. I never got to play it because I never really knew about it. The page for it is still up and there's nothing talking about it being over on it.

Also... I had tdner's asking for votes on captions just last year, so it had to of ended recently. I wonder if maybe those dates were wrong or if the captions were for the random contest???

Haha yeah the non-retired LC avatar is what's giving me hope too!

This post has been edited by a member of staff (Spritzie) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Please don't double post. If your post is the most recent reply and you would like to add something, use the 'Edit' button.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

It seems that TnT left a lot of things broken down when Jump Start took over, I honestly think that they lost a lot of the staff members that were doing weekly contests like these, and that probably left a huge mess for the Research and Development Department to clean up, things that needed fixing before the server transfer like Defenders of Neopia, and upcoming plots probably either got scrapped.. or they had to start over somewhat.

The mess that was caused is kind of upsetting, because it's unrealistic for how long certain events are taking to come back, like how we didn't even have a Daily Dare, it just skipped to 2 GMC's in a row, and they kind of just totally threw out 2 lame events (Charity Corner) the first of which was okay... but the 2nd one was just basically the same thing with a new avatar and less features, (ie: no thought involved at all) This doesn't excuse them however, because if we were back in the days before the NC Mall, this would have been perfectly acceptable. However since Neopets MAKES profit, there should be zero excuse for the sloppy events, poor item development, and even worse massive problems all across the board.

Found this question, in Neopian Times Editorial, Issue 677, 23rd day of Sleeping, Y17:

"Is Lenny Conundrum still updating? I don't remember it being around when I was a kid on Neopets (though I was a pretty dumb kid, so it might've been), but this account is only five months old and I've never seen it update... I don't think, anyway. ~cottontailcat
The Lenny Conundrum is no longer an active contest. We may bring it back someday. We'll be sure to let you know with proper fanfare if we do."

Not the date it ended, but that it is no longer active. Ho, hum.