Anyone experiencing power outages due to weather?

astro

It's been super cold here in Michigan, but not many power outages fortunately. Last winter was actually a lot worse--a LOT colder and it didn't melt until Spring. Some friends did lose their power for several days. Also last winter we had a total of about 10 FEET of snow. This year, only about 70" so far. And this is just the lower part of Michigan. Farther north is just ridiculous. I think because we have so many trees in our state the power crews trim them back in the warmer months to try to prevent power outages, but even then we get them year round. BTW, here's a tip: keep cans of pasta (ravioli, spaghetti, etc.) for a quick meal during those outages. They're cheap, fill you up and can be eaten at room temperature, where soup just seems blah when cold.

I'm so grateful that the weather here in the UK is unlikely to have these kind of cold extremes (pats Gulf Stream and gives cookies). The average Brit has no idea how much of a debt of gratitude they owe to the Gulf Stream for keeping us from freezing solid every winter like most other places in our latitude. The only time we get really bad winter weather is if a weather front from Russia or Norway manages to get past the combined efforts of the Gulf Stream and the prevailing south-westerly Atlantic winds. Then the temperatures plummet and the entire country grinds to a halt, because we don't get enough snow to know how to deal with it :* Only Scotland manages ok as they get a lot more snow every year.

The only time the weather affects my power is if there's a thunderstorm directly overhead, that knocks out your net connection first, then you're likely to get a few of those hiccups in the electricity where you don't actually know there's been a break in the supply until items start beeping as they come back on again, and the clock on the cooker's blinking 00:00. Do people do things like keep those gas powered camping stoves and stuff like that around, if they have the storage room? Fire the barbeque up, once they've dug it out of a snow drift...

I live in eastern KY. Since last weekend the snow has been between 8-12 inches. So far, I've not had any power outages, but I just woke up a little bit ago and discovered frozen pipes. /: So I just turned on the faucets and I'm hoping to hear the beautiful sound of my long lost water sometime today. I found out last night that we are supposed to be hit with more snow this weekend or around Monday. I only have a small gas heater in the apartment here, and it's on full blast and it's still so incredibly cold in here. I'm going to turn on the oven and try to warm this place up. I was decently okay with the snow until today. This is just ridiculous. /:

Oh wow, that's horrible :( Sounds like your place has really poor/no insulation if your pipes are freezing? My flat is in a bulding that's over 400 years old, so solid stone walls and drafty single pane windows, so I know all about the fear of pipes freezing. I only have portable heaters in the rooms I use, the rest of the place is stone cold all winter.

I was without internet for a few hours, which is quite sad seeing as I live right next door to a provider hub/station. So if they REALLY tick me off, I can just walk next door and give them an earful until it's fixed xP

I live in eastern KY. Since last weekend the snow has been between 8-12 inches. So far, I've not had any power outages, but I just woke up a little bit ago and discovered frozen pipes. /: So I just turned on the faucets and I'm hoping to hear the beautiful sound of my long lost water sometime today. I found out last night that we are supposed to be hit with more snow this weekend or around Monday. I only have a small gas heater in the apartment here, and it's on full blast and it's still so incredibly cold in here. I'm going to turn on the oven and try to warm this place up. I was decently okay with the snow until today. This is just ridiculous. /:

Katerina, how are things there now? Did any of your pipes break and leak? It's a good idea to check out your basement before turning on water if pipes are frozen. Are you keeping warm safely? Be careful of those heaters.

There's been really cold weather but no snow yet. It snowed less than a foot Monday but it was so cold the snow turned to ice and none of it has melted very much in the lawns. Although the weather reporter was talking about the last time it was 6 degrees fahrenheit (which was a really long time ago) we got 20 inches of snow and I heard that some were predicting snow on Tuesday. So no power outtages but the heater is kinda broke since my uncle had disconnected the heat strips from the heat pump since they broke during the summer and hadn't been fixed. Now I just sleep with 4 blankets and wrap up like a burrito to get warm. When it was in the 10's I really couldn't tell it was cold until when I got out of bed but it was easier to tell when the numbers went into the single digits. The weekend is supposed to be in the 40's and then it's going to cool down and up back and forth. Hopefully we don't get anything too extreme because last year there were at least 2 weeks where people couldn't go to work or school due to the weather. Thankfully I'm more hot-blooded than most people so I don't have to worry about freezing and no water pipes have busted yet. One of our neighbor's water pipes burst sometime this morning and they just found out in the evening but it was fixed as soon as it was found, other than that nothing has happened but we do check on water pressure every once in awhile.

So, how did you fare with your pipes. That is the worst. We had our pipes freeze and burst on us, luckily my husband does that for a living. He does building maintenance, plumbing, electrical, sheetrocking, tile flooring, insulation, etc. The two of us, him and I (alone, while I went to nursing school, on the bus, with my 3 yo son) built our house from the foundation, up. We lived in it while we built it. There were times we didn't have heat or running water. We used a 5 gallon bucket for a toilet. But that is neither here nor there. Anyway, Just this past week, I did laundry at 1am, the water was fine. My husband got up at 4:30am to go to work and the cold water wasn't working. I said, "it was fine 3-1/2 hrs ago, so it couldn't have frozen that much in that short of time." He isolated where it was frozen, put a heater to it, and turned on the water. Within 15mins. it was gushing. No leaks!! :rock: We got lucky because we got to it soon enough. Hope you did too.

The front we were expecting wasn't as awful as predicted so luckily no power outages or anything of the sort. Good thing, birthday's on Monday.

I feel guilty...It's summer here. It's 11.20 pm and too hot to sleep. We can't even open window as we get bitten alive from mozzies. Can't wait till winter :sick01:

Mozzies: that's one I haven't heard before. I assume that's Aussie for mosquitoes? :cowboy: Down Under slang is awesome. :thumbsup:

I wonder if mozzie is another bit of Brit slang that migrated to the antipodes with the convicts that were shipped off over there. My online boss is an Aussie and conversation with him shows that there's an awful lot of embedded Britishness. He lived in the US for a number of years, and one of his complains is you couldn't get a decent meat pie anywhere because Americans don't eat those xD That's definitely a UK eating habit :laughingsmiley:

I think I could deal with the NZ climate better than Australia's, or parts of it at least. While I'm no fan of winter, baking during heatwaves isn't my favourite thing either. Of course the Brit way of dealing with hot weather, i.e. opening the windows, just doesn't cut it when the temp's hitting 85F/30C and the humidity's sapping the life force out of you. I know that kind of temperature's nothing compared to what it hits in bigger countries though. Having said that, I was in Florida over Memorial weekend one year, my friend that I was with is from Arizona, and I dealt with the Florida temp/humidity combo a billion times better than she did, so the UK climate trained me a little in humidity management. She being from the desert, she was literally melting.

On our last morning the group was booked into Cracker Barrel for breakfast, this was about a 5 minute stroll from the hotel. To give a climate comparison; the temperature then, at 8:30 on a late May morning in Orlando, was the same as on a sultry August afternoon in the UK...crazy. And you guys now, under many feet of snow and your pipes freezing D: I guess I'll stick with the UK rain, rain and yet more rain <.< >.>

We had about a foot of snow on the ground here and then today I woke up to it raining ice >_<

The road has 2 inches of solid ice sitting on it, trees covered, cars covered, everything. I can't even believe it! I'm so lucky though - haven't lost power for even a second! I'm currently curled up in a blanket by my space heater.

No Snow Sadly. Would be great if we did, but It sounds like that brings its own problems. Still, a little

bit now and again would be awesome :)

It can cause problems, but it's so beautiful. We got at least 6 inches while I was at work. It was lovely to watch falling down. (made even better by having a fireplace going while watching).

Yeah, watching it fall,especially when it's big, fat, fluffy flakes, is lovely, as is that sense of comfort/security/smugness from being inside in a warm home when it's a pristine white blanket outside. But that's the limit of the appeal for me ><

• 2 weeks later...

The weather around here isn't severe enough to affect the power even in our worst storms and here that's defined by a bunch of rain and high winds. No big deal if you're reading this from the East Coast of the US but because of the very old circuitry we've had multiple outages in our house alone. It's the house my grandparents lived in, my mother grew up in this house so it's older than I am.

The outages don't always affect the entire house, but most of the time will kill my internet connection. :P Luckily with my very handy stepfather it's been easily remedied.