Neopets and College

arkhamkat

Hello hello!

I'm Kat. I'll be 20 in March and I've been playing Neopets on and off since I was, maybe, 8 or 10. How does everyone else who is also in College, or college age, feel about still playing what is regarded as a "kids game?"

I think it's a nice escape from reality for a bit and when my Neopets are happy, it makes me happy too.

Guest WonderlandWanderer

I started playing when I was probably around ten or twelve and am now 22 and still play ( I stopped for a couple of years but came back), I also introduced my 12 year old sister to it, I really wish I could remember the name of my first account but oh well. I like playing because it gives me a chance to relive a part of my childhood and it's cool to see the changes that the website has gone through.

I played this when I was college, but was given the site address from my middle school teacher when I was in 8th grade. I'm 28 so I'm one of the older players that frequent TDNF. Not saying I'm the oldest by any means!

I started Neopets in probably 2004 When I was 10-ish. I've now decided to come back to it since beginning college (2011) as it is a nice way to relieve tension.

I think most people you'll find on these forums are in their 20s, so you're not alone.

I think Neopets began as a kids game, but has since changed to an all-ages game so that anyone can play.

Played it back in 5th-6th grade, and for some reason me and a couple friends who used to play came back to it after all these years! I'm 21, and a senior in college. Judging by the audience I see on forums, etc., I feel like the majority of current players are at least in their early to mid twenties.

um, I just don't tell anyone o.o

haha my best friend plays so it's not a huge secret I have to carry. A roommate of mine caught me playing one day and was like "are you playing neopets? rad." and just left it at that. I think if you don't make a big deal of it people around you won't make a big deal of it either :p

I am 43 and I was in my 30's when I started playing, so I am probably one of the older ones around here. No shame in the game. I think there are more older people than younger people who appreciate the game.

I'm going to be in college next year, and I imagine I'll still be playing! I started playing when I was nine. No one knows that I play (except my family), heh, and even they make fun of me. o_O

I am 47. :) I read a while ago, that the creators of the site, created it especially for college and university students, so that they could relax a bit and didn't need to think about their studies for a while. That was apparently the main purpose to start the site. I believe they were college students as well when they started the site back in 1999. So everyone, young, old can play it. I don't feel ashamed either. Both my daughters own an account as well. :)

I started playing when I was 9 and now I'm 19. I stopped playing during middle school when my first account was hacked, then a few years ago I made a new one on a whim and have been playing steadily since then. Only a couple of my friends know that I play. I feel like I enjoy it more now than I did when I was younger. I understand what's going on a whole lot better. Also the guild I'm in is mostly older folks. Definitely not just a kids game.

Hi im also in college. And I'll actually be here a VERY long time :/ I'd just like to say that I love having neopets as a small distraction from my real world. I used to let World of Warcraft do that for me, BUT it was too time consuming and TOO addicting, it kind of took priority over things. Wasn't healthy! Neopets though I find I can spend maybe 30 minutes a day playing it or check on it ever so often when I feel I need a break. I used to feel ashamed to play it, but honestly who really cares?

Every single person I've came across in this game is 18+ really though I can't remember the last time I talked to a kid.

Good luck with college I hope you have the best time of your life :)

I am 23 and still playing neopets :)
I started playing when I was about 10 and stopped playing for a while when I was about 15. I actually came back to it when I started university (same as college in the US right?). One of my roomates asked me if I played and she got me back into it :)

To be honest, I don't think I would have made it through my degree if it wasn't for something like neopets to help me escape for a little while.... Although it was terribly distracting when I was meant to be writing essays ;)

I've not told many people I play though... Just my boyfriend and my mum who also plays :)

I used to let World of Warcraft do that for me, BUT it was too time consuming and TOO addicting, it kind of took priority over things.

WoW still consumes me o.o *points to siggy* NO SHAME!! <.<

24 and played back when neopets first started (probably when i was 8 or 9) and stopped after a while. still remember my username, but it doesn't exist anymore because of a purge of some sort which is not a surprise. wished i remembered about neopets when i was still in college so i could browse when i'm not paying attention (i don't encourage it, but it's probably better than snoozing in class). started checking out neopets cause i work in front of a computer all day and there's a lot of downtime. surprised to see there's still a pretty decent sized community and a few people within my age gap since this is a "kids" game.

WoW still consumes me o.o *points to siggy* NO SHAME!! <.<

i actually started wow again after WoD came out, finished HM, got my 690 ring for legendary questline, not interested in pvp, unsubscribed after 2 months... now thinking about doing premium for neopets, yay or nay? haha

I've been playing since I was 12 and I'm 24 now! I went all the way through college playing neopets and now I'm thinking about going back for a second degree and will probably be playing neopets through that one too. It was always great to use for a study break and to relax during downtime. I remember when KeyQuest came out and it was a huge distraction - but I managed to manage time pretty well! =)

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yeah--- ummm... 26 here. Played when I was younger, started back up again on a new account. I do try to have a quasi-life outside of Neopets, such as it is (job-searching= no fun :skull: :sick01: ), so I'm not constantly on, mainly use it as a distraction/escape. Been working on things like spiffing up my UL, shop, gallery, etc. I do sort of keep it secret (at least to the general public), as many people do view it as a "kids" game, but still...

I first started neopets back in 2002. I'm 22 now and in my last semester of grad school. I was really active in middle school, toward the end of high school, and toward the end of my undergraduate degree. I have been playing pretty constantly since then without any major hiatuses. I was playing in the university library and then suddenly three or four people sat down with me at other computers and began pulling up their accounts and playing, so it's been pretty cool to see who still plays. It turns out a majority of my friends had been playing in secret :3