TV shows you miss

010_pipsy_010

So many shows I miss xD- Waking The Dead, Merlin, Red Dwarf, Star Trek (we really do need a new series, but hopefully a good one!), Mighty Boosh, most of the old 90s Cartoons.

I also really miss the old Saturday morning show with Ant, Dec & Cat Deely (can't remember what it was called) and the really bad phone-in game puns 'All Hands on Dec' XD

I miss Waking the Dead and Star Trek especially. My parents record old episodes of Star Trek from the repeat channels so we can still relive the memories and excitement lol. My favourite was "Next Generation".

House MD but pre-season 6.

As well as Star Trek and Hogan's Heroes.

Though I guess I can't miss any of those as the reruns are going now. But I guess new episodes would be nice. Not that you can get new episodes of Hogan's Heroes I think everyone involved has passed away by now.

There are so many awesome shows from my childhood that I miss. These are the ones that come to mind off the top of my head:

The Nanny. One of my all-time favorite sitcoms! This was such a hilarious show, I could watch marathons of it and not get bored. They eventually released the first three seasons on DVD but I wish they would put out the rest.

Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman. This was basically my favorite show when I was like 8-10 years old. I spent the whole week looking forward to Sunday night so I could see the new episode.

Perfect Strangers. This show was on in the late 80s when I was really really young and was a feel-good buddy-comedy. I still know all the theme song lyrics by heart. <3 The "Pipe Dreams" episode was the funniest thing I had ever seen at the time (I was maybe 4?); and the "Dance of Joy", exploding babkas, and the phrase "Don't be ree-dee-cu-los!" are some of my earliest memories of TV.

Square One. This was a mathematics-themed variety show that they used to play on public TV. I loved the skits and the little math songs they did. :laughingsmiley:

Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego. A geography-based game show for kids with an amazing Rockapella theme song. I wanted to be on this show so badly! In the final round of the game, the winning kid would get to run around on a floor-size map of the world putting markers on different countries that the host would call out. This show seriously made a huge impact on me and inspired me to learn about the world. I think it would be amazing if they made an updated version of this show for today's kids.

My Name is Earl... Secret Saturdays... lots of shows that ended. Lol. My Name is Earl in particular- how the heck can you end on 'btw, black guy I cheated on my husband and got pregnant with, then divorced my husband for and married, that black kid we had isn't actually yours.' and then just... cancel the entire show forever?!

Wow. I must be old, The oldest shows I'm seeing are from the 90s. Can't really, imho, hold a candle to most of the cartoons from the 80s. ;)

Mariposa, I noticed you like Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego. Do you remember the gameshow based on that game? As for the series. I liked it too, I found the complete series for about $5 at a local Mills Fleet Farm. I think that store's only in Wisconsin, but you could try eBay. ;) I've found a number of my childhood favorites there! :D Actually, I found a fun series for my Nephew there for Christmas. He's REALLY into dinosaurs. The art isn't what I'd call the pinnacle of the 1980s cartoons, but for it's day it was decent....

It was even recommended back then by the NEA. (National Education Association)

Anyway, some I miss would be Pirates of Dark Water, Alvin and the Chipmunks, The 13 Ghosts of Scooby-Doo, Dinosaucers, and a plethora of others. I could list more, but I've collected a number of dvds of my favorites. Like the Super Mario Bros Super Show, Thundercats, Silverhawks, Transformers, The REAL Ghostbusters, Denver the Last Dinosaur, C.O.P.S., Bravestar, He-Man and the Masters of the Universe, etc.

A word on the Disney so-called "complete collections" Gummi Bears, Darkwing Duck and a couple other of those classic Disney series from the 90s, they claim they are the complete series, but they're NOT! Darkwing for example. They never show the episode where Darkwing and Morganna first meet. There are other eps that are missing that I KNOW I've seen on the Disney Afternoon, but it's been a long time since I watched, and yeah, don't recall the other missing ones. I don't know HOW they can get away with calling a box set the Complete Series, when they omit a bunch of episodes! Heck, a whole story arc in the case of Gummi Bears. Haven't checked out Ducktales yet, but I heard something about the whole GizmoDuck part didn't make the cut. Which would stink because those eps were pretty good! Better than the ones with Bubba the Cave Duck!

Something I've noticed over the decades of cartoon-watching. While American cartoons looks pretty sweet when I was a kid, they really seem like they've slipped a few wheels on visual and intellectual quality as the years wear on. Meanwhile, Anime from the 80s looked pretty non-special. Though nowadays, if you watch say, the first Gundam series and compare it to whatever Gundam series they're doing NOW... It's a total mind-frag as to the change in the visual quality. The intellectual part, many cartoons that our parents would've deemed "30 minute toy commercials", those cartoons still had basic and in some cases more than basic lessons embedded in them. Many of which have become cliche by now. Thundercats, was one of the first to put in a character-improving message, if you took it to heart. And the language back then, while definitely cleaner, was a bit higher on the old intellectual register. I believe strongly that MOST kids can still comprehend a higher level of speech than the current cartoon fare offers. Ironically, the first cartoon I remember turning off for being kinda, dismissive of the viewer's intelligence, was also from the 80s. A Pup Named Scooby-Doo. It was, mildly entertaining at best. But some of the running-gags really got tiresome. I think I was about 7 or 8 when that came on... Not 100% certain as I haven't looked that series up. ;) But I stopped watching it and instead checked out The Price is Right, a gameshow that was hosted by Bob Barker, and later on Drew Carey. XD

Anyway, just airing out some old flack. When I get on this subject, it's hard not to go back to this old rant of mine. LOL I used to run a thread on another board, back around 2000-2002 that griped about this same topic. Long before I knew of Neopets. lol Some people agreed, some disagreed. A lot of it IS perspective after all. And personal tastes. ;)

I miss Ed,Ed,and Eddy. It was one of my favorite shows and I remember watching the show with my cousin a lot however it doesn't seem to come on any more. There are many others like the Super Mario Super Show,The Suite Life of Zack & Cody,and Ace of Cakes. I never got to see the Super Mario Super Show on actual television but I have watched some since there was a dvd that my cousin would watch with me if we were bored. Ace of Cakes was also a fun show to watch even though I can't remember if the episodes were new or old at the time of watching since I always watched them at 1 in the morning or sometime around there I think.

Ooh I loved Ed, Edd and Eddy and all the shows that were on Cartoonnetwork when I was a kid, but idk if I would watch them now

I miss Ugly Betty. I didn't watch it when it was on the air, but I've rewatched it on Netflix many, many times

Ooooh I loved Ugly Betty!

I also miss Desperate Housewives and Flashforward.... I got completely engrossed in Flashforward and then they just cancelled it! How can they be so cruel? lol