Forum Customization Contest! (V2)

Shelley

Because DTI was acting up today I will not post the voting thread until tomorrow sometime in either the afternoon or evening :) Hopefully DTI will be fully functioning by then

Just wanted to let everyone know in case they don't see the voting thread up right away!

• 3 weeks later...

So excited for the new contest. I should have time to participate. This one is going to be challenging, especially since I can't seem to resist those light/air effects that all cost NC!

Those are my favorite items!! I definitely overuse the "sun shower" lol

This seems like a really good idea! I think I'll participate as well. Just to be clear the theme is just neopoint items only? :)

yes :D Always happy to have new participants! If you have any more questions feel free to ask here or through PM :)

Is this still going on? I will be entering again if it is!

yes! it is :D

This round (suggested by siniri) is something new and different that I hope people will have fun with

Oh, no! I went through the backgrounds and picked a few (if 40 is a few...) that I thought might be good starting points. And then I started with a pet combo I wanted to try (considering painting one of my pets), picked one of those backgrounds to match it, and then fleshed it out from there... but I also had a couple of backgrounds that I own and love but haven't really been able to use as much as I would like, so I figured I'd give them a try. The first was a dud, but I ended up really getting into the second one. So I have two complete entries, very different from each other -- and now I have to choose which to enter!

Hey guys! I'm going to be posting the voting thread some time tomorrow. Jut a reminder for those last minute entries! :)

I've always wanted a fruit chia but was always discouraged because of the limited wearables. I can assure you all of these customizations so far will make you wish you had a fruit chia :D

REALLY EXCITING NEWS!!!

For round 8 Tess (Hert123) has volunteered to donate an NC item to the top voted entry!!

For the upcoming round you will have to use at least TWO dyeworks items to customize and Aisha. That would be items that can or have been dyed. See a list of those items HERE.

The top voted entry will be gifted a "Dyeworks Hue Brew Potion", so spread the word and don't forget to thank Tess for this opportunity :)

Wow, that's very generous, Tess! Thanks! And that's a really cool theme idea, too!

I had an interesting idea for a theme, but I'm not quite sure how to word it. I guess maybe "optical illusions" -- where you use an item in a way that makes it look different than it was originally designed to look (through layering). I'll try to go through previous contests and see if I can find a good example of what I mean. (I have one on one of my pets, but then I wouldn't be able to use it if that theme were ever chosen... so I'd rather find an example of something already submitted).

ETA: Maybe something like this, where the cover of darkness foreground turns a regular happy Terror Mountain background into a blizzard: http://impress.openneo.net/outfits/875375

Or the same foreground turns an underwater treasure background into a spooky deep sea adventure: http://impress.openneo.net/outfits/875377

Or LillytheGrundo's winning entry from this contest: http://www.tdnforums.com/index.php?/topic/43767-customization-contest-v2-voting-3/

Alright, none of those are really spectacular examples... I can't find the one I was thinking of, where someone used a water-containing foreground to really change the dynamics of a background in a recent contest.

Yes it's true, I will be donating a Potion for the next FCC round. It's will be really interesting to see all the entry's! I will be awarding the #1 voted winner using a gift box from the NC mall. So spread the word to get more people joining! I just wanted to 'repay' the amazing TDN community :)

Also, siniri, I kinda get where you wanna go and I like it so far!

• 3 weeks later...

Hey everyone! I've only received one entry for this round so far so there's a possibility the entering date will be extended! So stay posted :)

EDIT: I WILL BE TAKING ENTRIES UNTIL NEXT SUNDAY!! I think we're all a bit busy this time of year :)

• 3 weeks later...

Congratulations to all the winners this round!! :D A new theme is now up on the main thread

delshnya, on 04 May 2015 - 12:39 PM, said:snapback.png

I voted "none of the above". I don't really have any idea. I like some of the contests, most of them (since I have been paying attention). But I never get the courage to participate. Also, I don't know much about customization.

I think this contest is a great way to play around with customization and get to know how things work. It's also given me some great ideas for my own pets. If you have any questions don't feel shy to ask, either on the main thread or you can message me any time :)

Sometimes I see some contests that I like, and I even go to "Dress to Impress" to try, but I never participate because I see what other people do, and I'm not even close to something like that.

Sometimes I see some contests that I like, and I even go to "Dress to Impress" to try, but I never participate because I see what other people do, and I'm not even close to something like that.

Hey, don't be discouraged! When I first joined I didn't know that much about customs, but as I kept participating every week I got better and better. Keep trying, and don't be too hard on yourself! These contests are all about having fun :D

Here are some tips, if you're interested:

- Get familiar with the item database. The more you play around on DTI, the more items you'll remember, and that way you'll have a better idea of what goes well with what.

- If your custom isn't looking that good, don't get frustrated and give up. Just keep trying different things, something will eventually work!

- Try to keep your custom balanced. Some customs might look too empty or too cluttered. If it looks empty, try putting a foreground, garland, etc.

- Try to stick to a theme, style and/or colour scheme. When I did my last custom, I knew I wanted to do Mystery Island, so I searched for "island", "tropical", "tiki", "fruit" and so on. I chose a Camouflage Kougra so I tried to stick to warmer colours. This is definitely not a rule, it's what I personally tend to do.

- Think outside the box. It might seem like I'm contradicting myself, but let me give an example, lol. For the Mystery Island custom I mentioned, the obvious choice would be going with an Island Kougra, but I went with Camouflage because I thought the colours looked better. See what I mean? :laughingsmiley:

Well, that's all... I hope to see you participating soon!