Neopets crashes browser?

teeniem55

YES!!! I have had it happen a lot using firefox and chrome. I also get viruses from the ads. I have NEVER had to have anti-virus protection before, nor do I believe in them, because I strongly believe if you do not update them they will let the viruses out of the vaults to infect your computer. Plus, Kaspersky crashed my computer before. But now, since playing neopets on a daily basis, I have to have one. IDK if premium is better because there are no ads.

Anyway, running keyquest and habi together will definitely freeze your computer. But yes, neopets definitely crashes mine quite frequently.

Weird. I run Neo exclusively on FF (often with multiple tabs open to Neo at once) and have never had an issue. I have AdBlock and NoScript installed though (I allow neopets.com itself on NS because I think it's technically against the rules not to, but I don't allow any of the other random stuff) -- I don't know if you do the same; but if not, maybe it's one of Neo's ads that's crashing you and not Neo itself? Admittedly, I've never played Habitarium and haven't bothered with KQ since I came back to Neo, so I couldn't say if either of those affect anything.

I use firefox. It happens a lot especially if I have more than one Neopets window open. I was wondering if I was doing something wrong.

I started having problems with Firefox a few months ago after a Flash update and any time I had multiple windows that contained Flash elements (including Neopets) on them, it would freeze and crash. I switched to Chrome and haven't had any problems, so you might try that and see if it's just Firefox.

This has been happening to me ALL WEEK. It just started. I kept getting the "adobe shockwave player has crashed" message and the whole page would freeze up and stop working. Have you updated your flash player? :)

I think my problem has been alleviated since doing so

I used to have this problem when I left windows open for long periods of time. I tried both Firefox and Chrome, but both ended up crashing. I noticed that the top of the page, where banner ads would display, would grow extremely large before the crashes, so I installed an adblocker to see if that would fix it. My browser hasn't crashed while playing Neopets since.

Normally I like to leave ads enabled when visiting sites I like, just so the owners get a bit more revenue, but when it crashes your browser...

Hope that helps!

I'm having the same problem with Firefox, sometimes randombly but usually when playing Habitarium or flash games. As sebenjos said, it's been a lot worse in the last couple of months for me to. Disabling addons doesn't seem to help and I can't even get shockwave games to run on Mozilla. :sad02: I've been contemplating migrating to Chrome but it sounds as if people are having the same problems on there. Anyone had more using a different browser or another fix (disabling anti-virus programs and whatnot)?

I'm having the same problem with Firefox, sometimes randombly but usually when playing Habitarium or flash games. As sebenjos said, it's been a lot worse in the last couple of months for me to. Disabling addons doesn't seem to help and I can't even get shockwave games to run on Mozilla. :sad02: I've been contemplating migrating to Chrome but it sounds as if people are having the same problems on there. Anyone had more using a different browser or another fix (disabling anti-virus programs and whatnot)?

I haven't had any problems with flash games/Hab since I switched to Chrome, but shockwave games aren't working atm (most likely because I haven't updated it yet).

It's worth a try

This is most likely caused by running Habitarium in the background of Firefox. I'll be playing a game and it will freeze, then it will say shockwave has crashed. Either try using a different browser, or have Habitarium running in a different browser. Hope this helps!

Does anyone else have this problem. You'll be playing on Neopets, then it freezes, then it crashes your entire browser? How can I stop this from happening. It's kind of annoying

Try using Internet Explorer, maybe? Also: many parts of Neopets can be rather intensive, especially Habi. Your computer may not be able to run stuff like that for extended periods of time.

Edit: Try AdBlock Plus, one of the musts for any browser.

Internet Explorer: https://adblockplus.org/en/internet-explorer

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/adblock-plus/

Chrome: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/adblock-plus/cfhdojbkjhnklbpkdaibdccddilifddb

I have NEVER had to have anti-virus protection before, nor do I believe in them, because I strongly believe if you do not update them they will let the viruses out of the vaults to infect your computer.

This is FUD (Fear, uncertainty and doubt) and not true.

This has been happening to me ALL WEEK. It just started. I kept getting the "adobe shockwave player has crashed" message and the whole page would freeze up and stop working. Have you updated your flash player? :)

I think my problem has been alleviated since doing so

Adobe Shockwave is not Adobe Flash Player. But making sure both Shockwave and Flash are updated is a must anyway.

I strongly believe if you do not update them they will let the viruses out of the vaults to infect your computer.

That's not how that works. Anti-virus is basically essential for any PC and you're doing more damage to your machine by not having it.

Sorry, OP, for the OT reply, but it's true.

---

Now to get on topic, that used to happen to me quite often but I did a system cleanout and it seemed to work. I don't know if that will work with you, though, as I don't know what make/model your computer is.

That's why I play Neo exclusively on Chrome. My main browser is Firefox, but it used to crash, and then all my tabs with Adobe or whatever would turn black yaknow. So I decided to start playing Neopets on chrome, because all tabs are independent processes on your PC/laptop while Firefox has all tabs combined into one process.

• 4 weeks later...

This is a good idea. My browser is SUPPOSED to block pop ups...but this works really well with the neopets website...sorry neopets, I don't click on the adds anyways. Habitarium does seem more stable now, as well. Thanks.