Why are people so report-happy?

capgal

Hey everyone! I'm a consistent lurker on the boards, but something annoyed me so much today I had to post. I had gotten a breebly from the coincidence last week and was totally blown away to realize that it was going for 5 million(based on multiple lots). I posted it for 4.8 as auto, added id go lowest on the TP and to nm me to haggle.

Then I didn't think about it again. My TP items usually always take forever to sell and I figured that any item going for that price had a limited market.

So today I get a message from a user saying that they reported me for false inflation! Told me it was a nice try and they'd reported it.

I was baffled. So I checked the TP and all the previous lots id based it on were gone. The only one wth an active price was 800k, and another lot including a breebly for a total of 1.2 million.

I replied that it was incredibly rude to report me before actually talking to me first, that I based my asking price based on what others were asking and that I don't deal in P3s so I don't keep track of their rate. And that, if they didn't like my asking price they didn't have to meet it, but it certainly wasn't false inflation. They came back with

"5 million? Are you kidding me? You obviously didn't do any research. It is frustrating when people are trying to trick others. NO petpetpets arw that much, let alone a rather unpopular one. The price should be around 200k-500k, if someone asks a little more, then whatever, nobody will offer, but 5mil? 1mil would be sketchy, but 5mil?"

And then they blocked me from messaging them.

Look, I get that I clearly had a ridiculously high asking price, but is it too much to ask to receive a friendly neomIl informing me of that before just reporting me? Ugh- I feel a little sick about it. I never meant to trick anyone- I was just blown away at my good luck in getting such a high priced item. I never went on the boards promoting it or anything- it just sat there.

/rant

Sorry- it's just been a really stressful day/week and this was just really gross icing on the cake. :/

I'm sorry you went through that! I'm sure that when TNT looks at the report, though, they'll see no damage was done. We were actually *just* discussing this over in the NeoPets debate board and it looks as though TNT doesn't care if one person has an overpriced item - it's only really reportable if it's basically a conspiracy with others to falsely inflate an item.

Think about the people with 10,000 NP lime jellies in their shop. No one is reporting them, and TNT doesn't actually care. There are other, equal items available for less money.

I recommend that you hold on to your P3 and watch prices. It seems *too* strange that the price would go down so suddenly. Someone might be trying to scam you (ie someone who is actually REALLY inflating prices wants to buy all of the item and is trying to get yours for cheap).

I recommend that you hold on to your P3 and watch prices. It seems *too* strange that the price would go down so suddenly. Someone might be trying to scam you (ie someone who is actually REALLY inflating prices wants to buy all of the item and is trying to get yours for cheap).

---

ooh, that's a great point! Thanks- I hadn't thought of that. I did check jellyneo later it was listed as 120k So.. I was way off base AND the current TP is off. Or Jellyneo. Who knows. TNT has said more than once that we decide the value of items, so as long as we're not working together to unfairly inflate things, supply and demand are in play.

I agree that TNT doesn't really care about individual high-priced items- why would they? Unless a user is actively trying to promote their inflated deal as a great buy, a sale, or a limited-time offer, there's no harm done in listing a higher price.

You weren't trying to scam anyone, so you should definitely be fine.
In the future, though, if you get a neomail from someone accusing you of something like that, don't respond. Ignore or block them; it won't fix anything to engage them further, and it could actually make it worse.

ooh, that's a great point! Thanks- I hadn't thought of that. I did check jellyneo later it was listed as 120k So.. I was way off base AND the current TP is off. Or Jellyneo. Who knows. TNT has said more than once that we decide the value of items, so as long as we're not working together to unfairly inflate things, supply and demand are in play.

It just seems odd that you legitimately saw the item listed for millions...and JN says less than 200k. Plus the person who NMd you said more than the JN price by 300k. So please just watch out, sometimes people will also mess with the prices on JN to do shady things, and it's not updated all that frequently for some items.

Sorry for sounding so paranoid! I just think something's a little wrong here and I don't want you to get less than a fair price.

Edited by kaybee92

Because they are whiny, uptight little jerks who have nothing better to do than to moan about something without having the decency to even see if there's a misunderstanding or not first.

And because they just itch to make people miserable without a valid reason.

Like I stated before about why I don't play KQ, this is the same reason I very rarely post on the Neoboards. I don't mean to sound bitter, but I've had enough of stupid people getting their underpants in a wad over something trivial on Neopets of all places! :hmmph:

Even if they reported you for 'false inflation' you can't get in trouble for it. The rule is that ONE person can inflate something all they want, as long as they're not working in a group. That means if I wanted to buy up all of a stamp from five years ago and make it worth a billion neopoints I can. As long as it's not me and my friend both doing it together.

So you don't have to worry about it. It's just some dumb kid* whining that they can't afford something. Shrug.

*Disclaimer: You can be an 'adult' but still be a dumb kid.

next time, don't even bother replying. i know it's tempting to try to defend yourself or call someone out for being wrong, but s/he obviously doesn't know what they're talking about and has no idea how to behave like a civilized person so it's just a waste of time. trying to talk to them will go nowhere. let people like that roll off your back.

Hmmm... I had the same issue with a lightmite. One day I got one from a RE and it was going for well over 4M on the TP. I was going to list it two days later and it dropped by 3M. I really believe that a lot of shady stuff goes on on the TP. I try to avoid it as much as I can.

My best guess is that they have alt accounts/friends that do it, then take them down to see if anyone "went with it". Perhaps report happy people feel that they get more kudos with admins/mods with the more people they report.

EXACTLY!!!! What Neechan said. You can inflate the price if you want to. Remember when banjos and organs were going for 40,000 because of the coincidence? lol. If someone wants to pay it, that is great. As long as you are perfectly clear as to what it is you are selling them. Meaning you are not selling them a regular plushie as a magical plushie or a plushie paint brush as a regular paint brush. But, as long as you are clear in your motives, than I don't see the problem.

sorry you had a hard time from some uptight person on the TP, you didnt deserve that even if you had decided to just put it on for 5 mil ..what has it got to do with them! They are simply back seat moderating which is something that TNT are very much against so they might find they are in less favour by admitting to it and reporting.

The TP does seem to attract some odd types .. obviously not all..but definately some, I have been called greedy for asking for a little less than the correct price and have had people try to scam me more than once and be quite offensive. I just try to ignore them and move on, but it does spoil the fun a bit.

The one that annoys me is when they ask for an item super cheap saying its all they have then you look and see that they have tons of stuff in their shop etc plus they could go away and play a ton of games if they really wanted to buy at the fair price lol sheesh its good to rant now and then thought lol :laughingsmiley:

I'm sorry that happened to you :-/. I think people sometimes forget that Neo is, at the end of the day, just a game. Just play, have fun, make friends and don't bother other people. I feel your frustration. The TP isn't Ebay for crying out loud. So you put something up for the wrong price? Who cares? It's not real money. I always get super annoyed with grumpy people on Neopets. Its a place that is so full of fun and positivity, for me anyway, and it really stinks when people ruin it.

I hope things get better for you!

You guys are all so awesome! Thanks for the support and kind words. :)

You're all absolutely correct that I shouldn't have bothered responding. Unfortunately it caught me at just the right (or, wrong) time and I did. Oh well- live and learn. Today is much better so far and I really appreciate everyone taking the time to leave a comment!