Codestones for Training Center....

ElitaOnePrime

battling is probably the best way to get them :) Although I do have some bad days when I don't win any

If you're just beginning to train your pets though, Pirate training would be a cheaper option :) In that case you would need dubloons

sometimes you will get a random event which will say something like something has happened your neopet has found a codestone on the floor. Its rare though and the easiest place to get them is probably Key Quest or go to the battledome and win a few fights there, some opponents give out more codestones than others so its worth looking into which opponent to choose based on which stones you are trying to collect

Key Quest (which can also give you Neopoints once you complete a gameplay) You can challenge a player there one-on-one on a 5-key game mode, doesn't matter who wins or loses, you get a chance to get a codestone either way. Then there's Battledome which you can usually get codestones with, but it's occasional, though you can get red codestones sometimes(but that's for higher levels.).

In addition to the above suggestions, don't forget to play Tombola and visit the Deserted Tomb (on Mystery Island and Geraptiku respectively), since both of these free dailies can give out codestones. Coltzan's Shrine can also give out random stats to your active pet (though it only seems to give out intelligence once the level is high enough).

For daily battle loot, the Giant Walein and Koi Warrior are both pretty decent at giving out codestones (they're both in the underwater arena).

I can say that there is no need to battle a high level challenger in the battle dome to have a chance at getting a red code stone. I've gotten several red codestones when fighting a level 8 challenger.

Like mentioned above, Key Quest is a good place but you need to finish your game in order to get a key and get your prize(s). The best chance to finish a KQ game is a 2 player game. And you should really try the battle dome! If you don't have much money and/or a high level pet, I can definitely recommend having two scarab rings!

As everyone has said, user shops, battledome, REs, coltzan, etc etc. (Keyquest if only you have NC.) I second ShelleyJoy. If your pet is under lvl 40, dubloons are the way to go, since anchor management and coltzan's shrine are more likely to give those out compared to codestones. The only disadvantage I can think of is pirate training takes double the amount of time of mystery island, and you have to give the specific amount, ie if they ask for a five dubloon coin, you can't use a ten dubloon and get a fiver back. Dubloons are also slightly cheaper if you want to spend neopoints.