Is the species of your pet really important?

Hi guys! This is my first post on the forums. I've been a big fan of TDN, and I found its guides to be very helpful, so I decided to join the community.

Anyways, something has been bugging me regarding the Battledome. Is the species of my pet really important? I keep hearing people say that Gelerts, Kacheeks, and Lennys are the best species to have in the Battledome because of their weapons. I currently have a Yurble and a Usul, and I'm unsure whether I should get a new pet that does well in the Battledome or I should just use my Yurble and my Usul. Does it really make a huge difference if you have a Neopet that has great resistances and weapons?

Thanks!

I'm not sure, but I don't believe that species resistance made it into the new battledome.

If you haven't already started training a pet, I'd look through the species-specific equipment on http://battlepedia.thedailyneopets.com/'>battlepedia and compare their stats/price to the items listed in the http://battlepedia.thedailyneopets.com/index.php/articles/viewarticle/basic-weapon-sets/'>basic sets.

If you're just getting started in the Battledome and are open to having a new pet, a certain species can help save you some NP. For example, Elephantes have a pretty good healer and Lupes have a decent freezer, and the species-specific weapons tend to be cheaper than other similar weapons because they are specialized. However, it is VERY possible to have a good Battledome pet that is any species. So, my advice is to pick a species you like. Or, if you're open to any species and color, you could just have a lab rat as your battle pet. The lab ray is a great way to get some cheap stats.

Some of the good species weapons to which people may be referring are:

Plus Lenny's have the ability to be healed if you feed them a worm, very useful at times.

If you don't have an expensive colour for your pet, than morphing potions can be an inexpensive option for a pet, there are many morphing potions under 100k, a Lenny under 50k, and kougra under 10k. While it might be cheaper to train a new pet than get a morphing potion, if you continue to train it is an option I thought might be useful for you. Also, there is a nice adoption site where you have a small chance to find a better battle pet (http://lost.quiggle.org/neopets). Plus, people are always "donating" pets here.

You might like http://www.neopets.com/petlookup.phtml?pet=SirHoggle , obviously a lab pet, a fire Lenny at level 1, but 49 hp and 25 str (neat).

I think the weaknesses at least are in the BD. My peophin seems to get hit with some extra damage from fire. And when I spin the wheel of excitement and it lands on the Lava Ghoul, he loses more than half his HP. Whereas landing on the fireballs spinning the wheel of Mediocrity, only takes half of his HP.

I'm not sure about resistances. I keep a leaf shield on hand and that usually takes care of all the damage so I'd have to try not using leaf shield sometime to see if his resistances are still in play. The numbers escape me at the moment, but I believe peophins have a resistance to both earth and water, just different percentages. Like, 10% and 20%, or something like that.

But yeah, regardless of which pet you have, with the right work and equipment, any pet could become a real Battledome champion!

Best of luck! :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Am I the only one who misses the old battledome?

Nope, I kind of miss it too. They could've tweaked the old graphics and left the old mechanics in there and not have to change as much as they did. It'd be nice to know why they did such a total overhaul.the art is nice at least. ;) As are the prizes and small amount of NP we get now.

I feel like the new battledome has become a chore or daily. You put in the minimum effort to get your 15 items a day and then you stop. [well, thats what I've been doing at least]...

I read that TNT may make movement useful in BD, so I am unsure if I want to train it or not yet.

Just a friendly reminder that we're getting a little off-topic, I let the post stay to discuss species resistances of the old BD, but if we're just talking about the old BD, you can always create a new thread to discuss BD changes :)

Am I the only one who misses the old battledome?

Nope, I kind of miss it too. They could've tweaked the old graphics and left the old mechanics in there and not have to change as much as they did. It'd be nice to know why they did such a total overhaul.the art is nice at least. ;) As are the prizes and small amount of NP we get now.

Yes,I want the trophys of the Defenders of neopia to come back, I was stuck because I dind't have Meuka, But now I have it,and I cant get the trophy :sad01_anim:

If you put the time and work into your pet it won't matter the species but at some point as the Battledome grows and changes it may have more of an effect.