What kind of computer is best?

Naamah D.

I've been using my mom's computer to play Neopets, but I really would like to get my own. I'm possibly looking at a laptop even thought most laptop screens are very small imo.

The only thing that annoys me about my mom's computer is that it won't let me open windows to play with my pets, groom my pets, or feed them because apparently my mom's computer considers them pop-ups. So I have to press the Ctrl key when click on items in my inventory. It's annoying >.<

What would be a laptop or computer that would run Neopets without any flaws?

That's largely dependent on how much money you can afford to spend on a computer.

Based on my personal experience, the Toshiba Satellite is a decent enough laptop for web-based and lower end gaming. You can pick one up from Walmart for about $400. Linky

If you want to get into more demanding games either now or in the future, I suggest springing for the iBUYPOWER build your own desktop option. Linky

I got that option for Christmas and my computer will be capable of running a majority of games that come out for a while. The price will vary depending on your options. With basic options, it'll be around $500 and it doesn't come with a moniter. It's probably not what you're looking for, but I thought I'd throw it out there just in case.

I'm going to a private school next year so I'm going to need a laptop so I can hang out with my pets when I'm not doing school work.

Well, then I still recommend the Toshiba Satellite I linked in my previous post. :)

Well, then I still recommend the Toshiba Satellite I linked in my previous post. :)

I looked at the link at told my mom about that one. Thank you for linking me :)

I'm actually playing Neopets on a laptop my dad is lending me. This one doesn't have a mouse, but it's still decent. Does the Toshiba Satellite come with a mouse?

I looked at the link at told my mom about that one. Thank you for linking me :)

I'm actually playing Neopets on a laptop my dad is lending me. This one doesn't have a mouse, but it's still decent. Does the Toshiba Satellite come with a mouse?

It doesn't, but mice are cheap. You can pick one up for around $10.

You can get a USB mouse for pretty cheap and plug it into a laptop (that's what I do). The one thing I miss on my laptop is the number pad; it makes inputting numbers much more difficult (as a science graduate student, I enter a lot of numbers). Specifically for Neopets, it makes playing the ghost graveyard game nearly impossible, since my current "number pad" requires me to hold down the function key and use 7-9,u-o, j-l, and m. As you can imagine, this is much more difficult since the keys aren't lined up and you have to hold down the other key at the same time -- no one-handed number entry! (Of course, you could get an extra keyboard to plug into a laptop, too, and an extra monitor if your screen is too small. They make laptop docking stations, which let you plug in your laptop and use it like a regular PC at home -- separate monitor, mouse, keyboard, etc. -- but then take it out and use it as a laptop when you're on the go -- you sacrifice some of the ease of use such as bigger screen, easier mouse, bigger/normal keyboard for portability.)

The only thing that annoys me about my mom's computer is that it won't let me open windows to play with my pets, groom my pets, or feed them because apparently my mom's computer considers them pop-ups. So I have to press the Ctrl key when click on items in my inventory. It's annoying >.<

You can just select in the preferences of your browser to allow pop-ups, or download a different browser.

Few things I like to consider when buying a laptop:

1. Budget
  2. Screen Size/Portability - If you plan to bring it to school, I would say purchase something between 13" and 15.6". Anything larger, it will be hard to carry around, and it will be really heavy. Anything smaller... might as well get a tablet. If you need a numberpad, then you'll probably have to get a 15.6" laptop.
  3. Battery Life - Again, if you plan to use it at school the entire day, longer battery life is ideal.
  4. What do you plan to do on your laptop? - If it's just for typing notes, Neopets, listening to music, surfing the web, then you don't need to buy a really expensive laptop. If you do more intensive gaming, or more graphics related stuff like Photoshop, then you might want something with a better graphics card.
  5. Do you need a CD/DVD drive? Some laptops do not come with an optical drive.

Couple of other notes:

1. Buying a laptop now means it will come with Windows 8 (most likely). Note that Windows 8 is quite different from previous versions of Windows. One main thing is that there is no start button. You might want to try it out when you go and shop around for laptops.
  2. Personally, I would recommend Intel over AMD for processor. Intel Core i3/i5 should both be good for basic tasks. For more more intensive gaming, go for Intel Core i5/i7. (The higher the number, the stronger the processor). If you do go for AMD, I would recommend getting the A Series. (ie. AMD A6/A8/A10).
  3. Some brands I like are Asus, Lenovo, Samsung, Toshiba. I would not recommend getting an HP.

You're not the only one who needs a laptop, Naamah, I do as well, and reading these posts has helped me as much as I hope it has helped you. :) Thank you for making this topic, and to all the people who responded, thank you for the helpful info. It is most appreciated.

1. Some brands I like are Asus, Lenovo, Samsung, Toshiba. I would not recommend getting an HP.

I have to agree on HP. My husband bought an HP laptop a couple years ago and it can barely run, well, anything. It can barely handle flash games. On the lowest quality setting.

Just chiming in about Windows 8 - if you've used Windows 7, then it's not much different from Win8. Agreed that the absence of the Start button is a little startling at first, but have the attendant explain how it works to you, and you'll see that you can manage to find all your apps via the Start screen anyway, so it's not a big stretch from Win7.

Anyway, a basic (note: cheap) setup is enough to run Neopets without much hassle. A setup like: Intel i3 processor, basic graphics card, 500mb HDD, 4gb RAM should only set you back ~$500 and it shouldn't give you any problems playing Neopets, or other Flash games. For heavier gaming needs I say bump up to i5 and a dedicated graphics card. I am also a fan of Acer and Asus laptops (I have owned two of each, my older ones have given me 6 years of service before I gave them to my mom & brother)

Just because I see only talk about windows and the TS and some other people might be interested in macs as well, I can say that any mac will do well for neopets, the mac mini might be having a bit of problems with some key quests minigames though. Just like Rune Valentine said about windows computers, 4gB RAM would be nice, the RAM is cheaper on other online websites then to include it in the mac (just make sure the RAM is compatible with the mac, something like Kingston works great).

But yeah if you are going for a mac you are at least spending 600-700 euro's/dollars for the mac mini and 1000+ euro's/dollars for a laptop.

For neopets I wouldn't recommend an iPad though, because it doesn't have flash on it you cannot access half of neopets (surprisingly how much is accessible though), you can do most of the dailies and train your pets, but that is about it.

Yeah, HP doesn't last long at ALL. What I would recommend is going online and looking at really high-end laptops from 1-3 years ago. Odds are they still have really strong processors and are excellent computers (after all, they were top of the line!) and buying one of those. Since they're not the newest model anymore, you'll probably be able to get it for half the original price.

However, if you're just playing Neopets, you don't really need a stronger processor than an i3. The Dell Inspiron has been getting really good reviews and it's less than $500.