What are you doing for New Years?

Alishkah

So, What's everyone doing for New Years?

I'm being a loser and staying home. Cancelled all my plans because I really don't want to deal with people drinking for the sake of getting 'smashed'. *Sigh*

Nothing wrong with staying home! Some of my fav new year's festivities involved being online with my friends talking about random things.

I'm staying home as well, I just got back from a convention in Austin and I don't want to drive anywhere more than 10 minutes away for a while.

Not a thing. I don't celebrate new years. I have... issues with fireworks, so I don't go outside my apartment on new years and the day after, and I don't care enough to invite people over. So I guess I'm being a loser too :P Although I totally don't think I am (for this), nor are you.

Regardless of what everyone is doing, I wish you a pleasant and safe evening :)

Haha, Glad I'm not the only one! :laughingsmiley:

A lot of my friends were bagging me when I cancelled and saying that it's no way to start a new year.

But I'd rather be sitting at home e-mailing venues about gigs than getting wasted.

Issues with fireworks? I'm assuming a phobia?

Never heard of that one before.

Yeah, it definitely has the characteristics of a phobia, and I'm sure it has a name too - I mean, there's a named phobia for the fear of getting peanut butter stuck in the top of your mouth, so...

A couple of years ago, my parents invited me and my boyfriend out to a restaurant on new years (last minute thing). I was hesitant, but I thought I could handle walking there, as it wasn't that far away. But I was wrong. I made it like 10 metres from our building. That's when I knew for sure that I had a big problem with fireworks.

I'm staying home too. We don't really make a big deal out of New Years, maybe when our daughter is older. There's not much you can really do on New Years with an 18 month old. XD Right now we're happy staying at home watching TV (if there's anything good on). I'll also be chatting online a bit too.

@Karmacow: I can totally see how you have issues with fireworks. Those loud booms can really get to you.

Personally I don't mind them, but in town where we live, we're close to the camp grounds where they do set off fireworks. It only happens once a year on Canada Day thankfully. Hearing those loud booms inside the house and having our puppy fly off the handle going insane with the barking is just too much to take that late at night. XD The first time we had fireworks here I think she she hid under some furniture for a couple of minutes. XD

Mouse is a nut on the best of days, add fireworks to the mix and you have a super nutty puppy! :laughingsmiley:

Oh wow. Is there a reason as to why or is it just one of those phobias that seem to have no explanation?

Well, At least you tried to leave. That's better than not trying. :)

According to my google search, This is the closest to naming your phobia; Kovtapyroergasoiphobia.

I don't even know how to pronounce that!! Haha

At least I know where the booms come from, unlike a puppy! I feel so bad for our poor pets when people light their mini-bombs and stuff. My chinchilla is definitely not a fan of fireworks either.

EDIT: I'm pretty sure my fear stems from the time someone threw some fireworks at me. I didn't get hurt, but it really put a fear in me. Also, a childhood friend's brother had a really bad accident with fireworks. He had some in his back pocket, which got lit on fire by a stray rocket or spark or something and lost a chunk of his buttock. So I've seen what that stuff can do. Even though it is monumentally stupid to put fireworks in your pocket.

contrary to karmacow , I am just crazy about fireworks :D

so I'll most probably go with my friends to watch the display ... it won't be big where I live ... but it's something :D

also no drinking today ...

I just googled and fear of fireworks is called Kovtapyroergasoiphobia

I don't have much plans for tonight. I'll be staying home, having dinner with my mom and watching the "Byebye 2012" show on TV.

We have invited my sister and her boyfriend to stop by if they don't have plans for tonight. We will see how that turns out.

PS: Recently, my sister was telling her boyfriend how when we used to go visit our grandparents in Florida for Christmas and New Year, everyone gets out in the street to wish their neighbours happy new year at midnight. He gave her a weird look, not understanding... But you see, there are no fireworks or random walk outside in Québec for New Year because of the snow and the cold. XD