Relationships and Neopets

Naamah D.

My girlfriend kinda sees virtual pets sites as pointless material possessions to care for, so she doesn't see a point. She does think my pets are cute though. But, yeah we mostly talk and I don't really talk about Neo with her. She thinks Sloth is hilarious though, that he looks like a potato. (well he does) XD. She is also amused by Meepits. As for friends and others, they don't care that I play.

As for friends and others, they don't care that I play.

If I said something to do with neo my friends would be like, 'what? I haven't heard about that since such and such grade, that still exists?!' Actually a couple have haha! I just prefer to leave it out in conversations to make matters easier.

I think that applies to any relationship where the other person doesn't play neopets - at the end of the day I'll tell my mum if anything exciting's happened to me on neopets that day, and she'll tell me about her work and we can both appreciate the other cares a lot about what they're saying, even if half the words don't make sense.

Mention it. It's important to you. Whether he gets it or joins up or doesn't, it shouldn't feel like a secret you have to keep.

Very well said. I agree completely. It should in no way be something you have to keep from your boyfriend. It comes down to respect. If I were to sit there and roll my eyes as he talked about 'football' for instance, then that would be disrespectful. It all works out though because if I don't understand something I ask questions and genuinely care that he is so interested in it, although I have no interest. It's just a matter of being comfortable and respectful to your partner. IMO. ^^

Well I am not in a relationship, but if I mention it to any of my friends, well in my environment it will spread fast and I will be made fun of and said mean things too.

Unfortunately, I have the same issue. I recently told a friend of mine and she laughed in my face and rolled her eyes. Calling me a little kid. My friends can be cruel, but that's how we joke around. :P I prefer to save myself the embarrassment and keep it to myself, mostly. I'm also a huge science nerd, so that's a double whammy. :P Too bad it's so difficult to find neofriends in real-life.

Too bad it's so difficult to find neofriends in real-life.

Agreed! It is too bad not to find neofriends in real life, life can really be a drag if you don't have someone to share that with! :/

I'm not with my boyfriend anymore but he started playing after I raved about it so much/started spending so much time there XP Think he wanted to support me and share an interest ^^ He still plays :P

You should tell him. Even if he doesn't want to play, Neopets is obviously important to you and he should be able to accept that :)

My boyfriend knows because 2 years a go I convinced him to sign up and we had a competition against each other who could get the most NP in a certain amount of time. Since then he's obviously lost interest but he still knows I've played since I was little. He jokes about it sometimes but he plays WoW (and I used to) so I joke about that as well :P.

• 4 weeks later...

Very well said. I agree completely. It should in no way be something you have to keep from your boyfriend. It comes down to respect. If I were to sit there and roll my eyes as he talked about 'football' for instance, then that would be disrespectful. It all works out though because if I don't understand something I ask questions and genuinely care that he is so interested in it, although I have no interest. It's just a matter of being comfortable and respectful to your partner. IMO. ^^

Unfortunately, I have the same issue. I recently told a friend of mine and she laughed in my face and rolled her eyes. Calling me a little kid. My friends can be cruel, but that's how we joke around. :P I prefer to save myself the embarrassment and keep it to myself, mostly. I'm also a huge science nerd, so that's a double whammy. :P Too bad it's so difficult to find neofriends in real-life.

Lol. My friends can be cruel too. They are big fans of Call of Duty and Battlefield, which I play too, but I play a variety of games depending on my mood.

The only time it was an issue with my husband was during the Altador Cup. And...he was kind of right. I was playing for way too many hours, and I was getting too angry about games.

Other than that, he'll just do his own stuff while I'm playing. I don't really tell him much about it, unless something really interesting comes up.

• 1 month later...

My boyfriend is understanding and can be encouraging when it comes to me destressing. He was actually sort of interested in Habi, but it got a little too repetitive for him.

I can understand with the whole neopet players don't understand neopets. I was trying to tell my boyfriend about getting the Neomail Addict Avatar, and he was like "Oh cool, what does that get you?" And I was like... "Uh, an avatar." He sort of blankly looked at me for that. He doesn't see the point in working towards something that doesn't have an objectively tangible goal. Bragging points is not his favorite thing - he likes more neopoints, or a new item that increases stat percentage in his character. He's not much for achievements.

But then again, as much as I try, Magic: The Gathering doesn't really do much for me and he enjoys that game. We both enjoy JRPGs, and anime, and Tarantino movies, so we can understand when we have differing likes that we invest in separately.

My boyfriend had actually been playing way before I even had! He has a much older account which he had forgotten about but when we got together and he discovered I had an account too he was excited to get back into it. We play together now. We tend to play a ton of games together anyway though. Whether it's board games or video games, it's one of the ways we bond. I believe there's only one game I play that he doesn't....the sims hehe but that was expected. I've never met a guy who does :P

My boyfriend knows I play neopets, but he just thinks it's funny (in a bemused way, not a jeering way) that that's a way I choose to spend leisure time. I used to halfheartedly encourage him to sign up, too, just to try it, but he simply doesn't have an interest in online games like this...and he doesn't really have much free time to spend on the internet anyway. So at the end of the day, I end up on Neopets, he ends up on Reddit, and we just smile and coexist in our very different corners of the internet. :D

This is exactly the situation I'm in. I used to think of myself as being in a neopets-closet, and I only come out to people who wont make fun of it lol

I don't have a boyfriend or a husband or anything, but I have noticed something with one of my dearest friends.

She plays Neopets as well, and she doesn't like it when someone else does better than she does in something. She's quite competitive. Well, I've got a grand total of 4 more avatars than she does, and I've scored higher in pretty much every game that we've both played, and she seems to be growing resentful. I think it's kind of funny, actually XD

I started playing Neo because of my girlfriend. I played another online game and she tried that for me (and hated it) so I gave this a shot for her. I thought it was cute that she played this in an interested way, not in a jeering way, since I have my own vices and passions. I think the problem is that people that don't understand how complex and varied this game is. There are so many different things you can do/collect that there is something for everyone.

After I found all this out, I became addicted and now I play more than my girlfriend. Everyone has their own vice and addiction and everyone has some way of using their free time. I choose to sit on this game and try to gain NP. People can make fun of me for that if they wish, not that anyone has. They have the right to believe what they want and I won't let it get to me. I enjoy Neo and I'm not ashamed that I have an opinion and enjoy a game.

Well i tried to get him to play, but he's not even trying.

I'm also trying to get him to work out, but he doesn't want to do that either.

I just give up, if I ever meet a better guy then he'll have to make some effort on his part or I'll be stolen away :P

I can relate to you, Naamah. When my current relationship was first starting out, I kept Neopets a secret from him (and everybody, really). However, I'm terrible at lying, so when he asked what I was doing one day, I told him the truth: that I was playing Neopets. Luckily for me, he used to play when he was younger, and he decided to get back into it. He's even introduced me to new features on the site that I didn't know about, and they've turned out to be very profitable. :thumbsup:

It can be really scary to tell someone you care about that you play a game that's generally considered a kids' game. You want them to still respect you and not think less of you. But, in my opinion, it's good to share. That way, the person knows a little more about you and what you care about. You can't expect your significant other to be really into it, too, but you can expect him or her to be supportive, because that's what people in relationships do.

• 3 weeks later...

I actually love this topic!!

I have played neo for a very long time (maybe...10 years or so?)

My mom and brother used to give me the hardest time about playing a kids game, even though at the time I was 14...and let's be honest here, 14 year olds were different then than they are now. Since then, it's just been one of those things I've been super ashamed of. Until recently, I kept it a secret. My boyfriend knows I play, and I usually show him my draiks and their customizations. He gives me great input, as well as purchases my NC weekly. He works full time, and a very demanding schedule at that. His words to me, were "He's happy I have something that brings me joy and entertains me while he isn't around." :rolleyes_anim: It's gotten to the point now, where he will buy me NC when I'm upset. Or, discusses my possible trades with me. I think it's absolutely adorable that he pretends to care, I just have to remember to pretend to care about his games, as well. ;)

• 9 months later...

I ex-boyfriend was actually kind of supportive of it. He thought it was cute - while he played Skyrim, etc, I played Neopets, lol