Relationships and Neopets

Naamah D.

Does your significant other not approve of you playing Neopets? Or do they just not want to play themselves? o:

My boyfriend knows I play neopets, but he just thinks it's funny (in a bemused way, not a jeering way) that that's a way I choose to spend leisure time. I used to halfheartedly encourage him to sign up, too, just to try it, but he simply doesn't have an interest in online games like this...and he doesn't really have much free time to spend on the internet anyway. So at the end of the day, I end up on Neopets, he ends up on Reddit, and we just smile and coexist in our very different corners of the internet. :D

My boyfriend just accepts it. He used to make fun of me a little for it because I am such a little kid about some things. I convinced him to make an account at christmas and he tried for awhile but it isn't his thing. So he plays his first person shooter games and I play my neo. It all works out in the end.

Like almost everyone else stated so far, it's really not a big deal. I mean, he has an account and he plays here and there, but his version of playing is logging in maybe once a day, buying stock, doing dailies, and maybe stocking/checking his shop. I harass encourage him to take part in events and plots.

It's just really not his type of game, but he's glad I enjoy it, and he supports me in that. (He bugged me to keep going for the AC, or playing games for NP or avatars. He surprises me with NC cards every once in awhile.)

Mine's about like Spritzie, maybe a tad more enthusiastic. He gets pretty excited for the Advent Calender stuff, though - he's the one that reminds me about it! And he loves the battledome, so he's pretty active with training his pet. Other than that, he gets on once a day to at least collect his dailies and make sure his pet's still training, and maybe one or two days a week spends a bit more time. When he's not active - like, taking a hiatus - he's pretty supportive about it, since he has played.

Edit: Well, he would be supportive of it even if he'd never played, because that's the kind of guy he is - but he is more understanding about it because of his own playing.

My girlfriend is super supportive of my playing, though she has no interest in playing herself (and never has played). If we're going out somewhere, and I'm still setting up Habi before we go, she just asks if I'm setting my minions to work, and sits down for a couple minutes, haha. She was very encouraging when I was playing Meepit Juice Break for 13 hours on zen mode for the avvie, and kept me going. She's such a sweetheart. :3 She gets the spending hours online doing stuff, since she does it too, just with reading blogs for the most part.

What is the issue you're having with your significant other?

Like many of the others have said, it's really a non-issue for me and my boyfriend. He goes on Reddit and sites like that, while I prefer to spend my time here :) He's supportive about it and has even offered to do the coding for my user profile (he's a programmer) but I'm sure he'd never get his own account. I don't bug him to get one and he doesn't bug me for playing so we have a little truce going.

I don't think my boyfriend even knows I play, but I'm sure it wouldn't be a big deal if he did. He might think it's kind of funny, and I don't think he'd ever play it himself, but I'm sure he'd be supportive. :) We don't live together though, so he doesn't really have much of an opportunity to see me play it.

I guess as long as you don't let it get in the way of your relationship or anything - I would never cancel or be late for anything IRL because of Neopets, and if I stay at my boyfriend's house for a few days we never use the computer so I can go for quite a while without logging on. Not saying anyone here is like that, but I know some people that have been addicted to video games (not necessarily Neopets, though) to the point where it's detrimental to their relationship, which is unfortunate. :(

I got my boyfriend to make an account at one point (how or why, I don't remember) and he's quite fond of Brucey B Slots :D That's basically all he plays, so needless to say, he's always broke. I got him the forgotten shore map, so he can get some free gambling money every now and then. Of course it's up to me to remind him to check his treasure map every day. He doesn't really care that much. He'd rather play WoW. So as you can probably deduct, he has no issues with me playing neopets. I sometimes buy him things, like wearables I think he'd like and recently I got him a paint brush. He seems to appreciate that :D

My boyfriend made an account just because he knew I was still into neopets and he enjoyed it for a while...but then realized it wasn't his thing but it totally accepts me going on there.

He's more into FPS games and he will get on his account whenever I mention there's something big going on (like signing up for the Altador Cup, Advent Calendar, etc.)

Wow. I am honestly shocked at the replies to this post. If you notice - not ONE guy has posted. I mean - I know there has to be some guys that play, probably just more of the hermit types unlike us gals. :P

As everyone else has already stated; My boyfriend is the same way, supportive but not really interested in playing. Although - he does really enjoy some of the card games. Sometimes he will even sit behind me and zone out on the computer while I'm playing Habi. I'm like, what is so interesting about this? I play it a lot and I don't even like it! I'm just greedy and want neopoints. :P I wonder how many people actually enjoy Habi? Like if it only gave you small amounts of NP's as you leveled up and even at level 50.

:offtopic: I know, sorry.

Anyways if you could perhaps give us more insight into your situation, I'm sure we could be of more help. We don't know if he is totally against it? Jokingly teasing you about it? Or if you just wanted to know other peoples situations. I don't think there is any harm being done to the relationship unless you guys aren't setting aside 'couple time', because of the constant gaming. In that case, there could be an issue.

Heh. Hubs is actually registered here, but doesn't post much! :D He's actually the one that got me into Habi - told me how much money could be made by leveling to 50, which he did way early on. That's one thing he's pretty dedicated about, he'll get on and check his and get his money.

My boyfriend makes fun of me a little but he doesn't really care either way. He gets annoyed sometimes when I'm playing Key Quest since I can only play it on his PC, but other than that he doesn't mind too much. He does mention every so often that it's not a "real game", but I just kind of roll my eyes and let it go :P

I'm going to say the same thing as the rest have posted, my boyfriend isn't really a 'get on the computer and play a game' kind of guy, I think he's more into the whole xbox, playstation, etc kind of thing. But he laughs it off with me when I talk about it. He's just happy as long as I'm happy. I'm not sure if my boyfriend would like it honestly, he's kind of weird about what games he plays so its a tossup for him whether he would enjoy it or not, but I personally don't seem him getting into it (considering his obsession with cars and racing, HIGHLY doubt he would be.)

Like the majority (it seems), my boyfriend pretty much just smile at me playing Neopets. He thinks it's great that I have a pass time that I like, even though he doesn't understand any kind of game featuring cute pixels that you can dress up c;

My boyfriend does make fun of me for it on occassion because he sees Neo as a child's game and he finds it odd that I'm still spending time doing something that I was doing when I was 11. However, I don't share the same enjoyment in the things he spends his free time doing so ultimately he understands that there's certain things we are individually interested in so he leaves me be.

It has never been a problem between us because we work very difficult schedules so we don't tend to see a ton of each other right now and that may be why I spend a good deal of time on Neo. Normally I can get away with playing while he's at work so he doesn't see me online too much and it's never created any tension between us.

For all of those wondering what my situation is,

I don't think my boyfriend would care. It's just kind of hard though not to blab about your pets to people in real life :P

I don't think my boyfriend would care. It's just kind of hard though not to blab about your pets to people in real life :P

Hahhaa, I know what you mean. I kind of gush when good things happen, and my girlfriend just smiles and nods, and then goes back to what she was doing, ahaha.

. It's just kind of hard though not to blab about your pets to people in real life :P

I totally get that, and people who don't play wouldn't understand the significance of anything neo. When something awesome (or terrible) happens to me on neo, I usually just come here to talk about it. If my boyfriend is in the room, I'll tell him about what's happening but he doesn't completely comprehend what it's about.

That's funny, because I just talked about my pets with my bf a few hours ago and he listened and understood what I meant by FFQ xD

Well, you can always talk about your pets with us here! :3

If I even mentioned something to do with neo my boyfriend would be saying to me 'HUH?!' and make some weird grunts to where I would have to say to him, 'Okay nevermind.' That's why I am lucky to have both of my parents who are in the forums and at home to help me and talk about neo with, they love it! And as flyingeevee wrote, you can always talk to us here! :)

I think that applies to any relationship where the other person doesn't play neopets - at the end of the day I'll tell my mum if anything exciting's happened to me on neopets that day, and she'll tell me about her work and we can both appreciate the other cares a lot about what they're saying, even if half the words don't make sense.

Mention it. It's important to you. Whether he gets it or joins up or doesn't, it shouldn't feel like a secret you have to keep.