I'm pretty scared.

khaos

Not sure if this should go here, but it seems like the best place to post this topic.

As the title says, I'm scared. But it's of a pretty childish thing.

The dark.

I've been scared of the dark ever since i was little, and from the ages of 3 - 7 or something i would sleep in my parents' bed. It is really childish, but for some reason i felt safer.

The fear stopped as I grew older, but when i was 10 it came back because of some scary animes i saw. Now I'm 11, but it's even worse. Ever since i heard about that cannibalism drug, I started feeling the most scared I've ever been during the night. It usually only comes up during the night, or when I'm alone in my house.

I had always been scared because of these weird noises that i had heard, usually it sounded like a 'crack' sound. I recently found out that it was just the house and the stuff it was made with adjusting to heat or something.

So why am I posting this?

I want you guys to try to think of stuff that will help me get over my fear.

When I was younger I used to be terrified of the dark. Have you tried keeping something nearby, or even in, your bed that makes you feel safe? I had a blanket that I used to always have that would make me feel safe and bring me comfort when I was getting worked up about being in the dark. That and also a nightlight, haha. Which helped, too.

Not weird at all. It's one of the most common fears. Usually, it's said people are afraid of the dark because it deprives us of a sense we rely heavily on (sight) and alters our awarness, creating an environment of unknowingness or, "the unknown." This is the same premise that makes monsters scary. They represent an unknown factor, a being which we have no experience of and therefore, fear.

There are some ways that can help get rid of the fear. Try not to dwell on scary things. You're in your house, one of the safest places to be. If it makes you feel better, personally check doors to see that they're locked before you go to bed (my parents always did this when I was growing up). Another way to not be as scared is to make sense of the things that are scaring you. If you hear a scary noise, think of all the things in your house that could make that noise (faucet dripping, house settling, clock ticking, pet moving). If you SEE something scary, do the same thing. Are headlights from the street causing a shadow? The moon? A light from the neighbour's window? This will help to make the unknown familiar and hopefully help you to not be afraid because you know exactly what everything is.

:(

Unfortunately, there aren't many things to get you over your fear. If you want to face it, that's probably your best bet -- though, you're forced to face the dark all the time, so I don't know how well that works.

I have always had a bit of an apprehension about the dark as well-- though mine was more tied in with my phobia of spiders. I'm scared that they're all around me and I just can't see them. That they're in my bed, or I'm about to step on one, or that they're on my clothes, etc. -shudders-

Though, Dumbledore helped me a little. There's a quote in one of the Harry Potter books where he says that when people fear death and darkness, all they really fear is the unknown. It helped me calm down. I wasn't afraid of spiders that may be there- I was scared of not knowing if anything (ie, spiders) was there. It made me feel less silly about my fears, and when I got scared, I turned on a light. I allowed myself to check, to validate the fact that I was afraid, and deal with it.

Maybe something similar will help you? Maybe get a nightlight type thing, so you're never in complete darkness. Keep flashlights around your bed, so you can have light at a moments notice. Allow yourself to be afraid, and arm yourself with a weapon against your fear.

Well, I do sleep with a night-light and a lamp on.

Usually, it's said people are afraid of the dark because it deprives us of a sense we rely heavily on (sight)

lol it's ironic because i have terrible vision

But anyway, thanks for helping me. It's 12:15 am here, so I'm about to go to sleep. I'll see how well your ideas work, and hopefully I'll be rid of my fear soon. :)

You know what? I'm 19 years old and am still afraid of being in total darkness. Probably because I have a tendency to have vivid nightmares. I also can't see well in total darkness. My brother is obsessed with the news and has been talking about the "noises coming from the sky" a lot lately and guess what it freaks me out so bad I still have a stuffed animal I sleep with. For the past couple of nights I have been sleeping downstairs with my mom I've gotten that fearful.

You are not and never alone, Javi. It is human nature to be scared no matte how childish it is.

Well, I do sleep with a night-light and a lamp on.

lol it's ironic because i have terrible vision

But anyway, thanks for helping me. It's 12:15 am here, so I'm about to go to sleep. I'll see how well your ideas work, and hopefully I'll be rid of my fear soon. :)

It's good that you do have a night light. :)

I hope you aren't too afraid tonight! I have hugs if you want them. :)

I feel scared of the dark too.Sometimes...creepypastas are too scary for me.Although, I try not to believe in them.Sometimes I hear sounds in the dark.Like the water/ice vending machine making more ice in it...but although I was a bit fine...then I hear some other noises.(Hint:I am really good at hearing.I could even hear that TV from our neighbor's house that's at the end of the floor.). So I am like REALLY timid sometimes.And...I really hate the snoring of my grandma.She snores like she has a frog in her throat!Although I like the sound of the water dropping.I think you should dream of the things you like,or just make your pillow and blanket cold and comfy.

I was scared of the dark when I was your age too. A night light helped me a lot, even though it only lights up a small area. Noisy houses are the worst when you're afraid of the dark. Luckily we lived in a house that was built in the 70s (not very old) so it was pretty quiet at night.

It might help you to listen to music. Then you'll have something to focus on, aside from things to be afraid of.

You have to make a distinction between fear and a phobia. How is it affecting your day? How afraid are you from a scale from 1 to 10?

Anyway, if all the tips don't help much. Maybe a special person like a phsychatrist can help to get rid of that fear. That may sounds a bit weird but there are people that know how to help you. So if you think you're too afraid you maybe should just talk to your parents about this if you have a good realtionship with them ^_^

I'm afraid of it, too. I used to sleep normal, with lights out and everything. I used to love horror movies. But well, now I'm mentally ill and I can't even sleep without lights anymore if I ever sleep at night.

You are scared of the dark because that is when you are alone and when your mind wonders and thinks of all the good and bad things that can happen. I don't think it is the dark you are scared of, but the kinds of things you are thinking of because at night time things are usually pretty quiet and you are allowed to let your mind wonder. Like try to watch something fun on televison before going to bed or doing something fun. Try to think of all the fun things you did with your friends at school or at home or whatever. Like if you went to the theme park, try to think of that and don't watch scary movies before you sleep.

P.S off topic but I sent you a neofriend request.

No, like he descripted it it seems to me that he's afraid of the dark not because of his mind but because of fearing that something bad is going to happen. That there is someone/something in your room, a weird noise coming up that you don't know is from, someone going into your house,... the list is long.

Your not alone, I'm still scared of the dark to the point I sleep with my lights and then if a family member happens to wake up and see it while I'm asleep they will turn it off haha but they think I was reading.

so many things to respond to!

It might help you to listen to music.

It would probably, but i don't have an Ipod or mp3 player or anything i can use to listen to music with. only thing i could do is remove about 25 books from the bookshelf next to my bed and put my laptop there to listen to music. but my headphones broke anyway so...

You have to make a distinction between fear and a phobia. How is it affecting your day? How afraid are you from a scale from 1 to 10?

I don't really get that. i thought fear and phobia were the same thing?

Well, the dark doesn't affect my day, but i have a similar problem of someone breaking in when i'm alone in the house.

I would say about 8.5 - 9/10.

Like try to watch something fun on television before going to bed

I watch about 3 episodes of MLP before going to bed xD

Overall, thanks guys, I slept much better last night. :D

I don't really get that. i thought fear and phobia were the same thing?

Well, the dark doesn't affect my day, but i have a similar problem of someone breaking in when i'm alone in the house.

I would say about 8.5 - 9/10.

Nope, fears and phobias are different. Fears are the things that everyone has. Phobias are much stronger. Like, most people are afraid of public speaking, but if someone has a phobia, then they might have a panic attack before hand.

Phobias are a type of anxiety disorder. They're completely irrational and uncontrollable.

http://www.helpguide...s_treatment.htm

I found this, there also is something about the dark. There are very good things said and also some tips included.

Here are as an example some things listed:

The symptoms of a phobia can range from mild feelings of apprehension and anxiety to a full-blown panic attack. Typically, the closer you are to the thing you’re afraid of, the greater your fear will be. Your fear will also be higher if getting away is difficult.

Physical signs and symptoms of a phobia

• Difficulty breathing
  • Racing or pounding heart
  • Chest pain or tightness
  • Trembling or shaking

• Feeling dizzy or lightheaded
  • A churning stomach
  • Hot or cold flashes; tingling sensations
  • Sweating

Emotional signs and symptoms of a phobia

• Feeling of overwhelming anxiety or panic
  • Feeling an intense need to escape
  • Feeling “unreal” or detached from yourself

• Fear of losing control or going crazy
  • Feeling like you’re going to die or pass out
  • Knowing that you’re overreacting, but feeling powerless to control your fear

So if you think it's not getting better, maybe just talk to your parent and you might see a therapist. It's nothing to be ashamed of, really. They just help you. See it like you're ill and you have to go to the doctor. Everyone would, right?

But you might get better with those tips :) I really hope you will!

He already sleeps with one :) So I think it doesn't work well...

This post has been edited by a member of staff (Neomysterion) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Make sure you keep your posts at 7 words or higher, smilies don't count.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

Well... I'm 18 and just this year was I able to sleep in the pitch black for the very first time. Now I sleep in the darkness every night and prefer it! I was so scared when I was a kid, I slept in my mom's bed most nights up until I was 12. When it came to me, I've always believed in the paranormal which made it even worse. I was so scared of the dark I would freak out in places like basements even. So... you're not alone! Doesn't sound like you have a phobia... just a typical fear of the dark.

I think it's just something everyone grows out of at one point. It's not a big deal. I think you should just keep sleeping with a nightlight until one night you think you could try out the darkness. That's what I did. That night I ended up putting my TV back on (my TV always served as my main nightlight) but eventually I grew to like the darkness. I find it so much easier to sleep in and I've learned that nothing can hurt me. Now when I read creepypastas that's a different story LOL I have to go to bed equipped with my flashlight but really the darkness is no longer a problem for me.

Both my hubby and my daughter don't do well with the dark. My daughter keeps her radio on low at night and that really helps her, and my hubby puts the television on a mundane show (The Nanny, King Of Queens, George Lopez, etc!) and falls asleep to that, it seems to help him a lot - he has panic attacks, so his condition is a bit more severe than my daughter's. I don't know if you have those options but they do seem to help them a lot. I think it's a lot more common than people realize.

Im old and I sleep to the tv nowadays. Biggest baby out there. I have always slept with someone else in the room as well (come from family of 7 kids). So I found it hard being by myself. Night light, boring tv on. Read something nice before bedtime. If you are allowed, a dog would be nice too. You are not the only one.