How did you guys discover Neopets?

Tedhaun

76 members have voted

1. 1. How did you come across Neopets?

• I had a friend who told me about it
    • Neopets merchandise (Plushies, TCG, etc.) from various retailers (Limited Too, Target, Wal-Mart, etc.)
    • I saw an advertisement for it on TV, in a magazine, or on another site
    • Via a McDonald's and/or Burger King promotion
    • Came across it while searching virtual pet sites
    • Other (please specify)

Hello all, this is a topic asking you on how you came across the Neopets website. Maybe you saw an advertisement for Neopets while watching Nickelodeon, maybe you discovered Neopets through one of the promotions they had over at McDonald's (back in 2004 and 2005) or Burger King (in 2008 (USA) or 2009 (Canada)), or you may of had a friend tell you about the website and continued there.

For me, I discovered Neopets back in the Spring of 2002 when one of my friends back in elementary school was playing it and told me about it. I never knew about Neopets.com before she introduced me to it, and I slowly got addicted to it back then (and I wasn't very good at Neopets either unlike nowadays).

Now then, how did you guys and gals discover or come across Neopets? Feel free to share with the rest of the members in this topic. :)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can`t really remember why I first started playing Neo. But when I made my current account about a year ago, I signed up when I was bored one day for a trip down memory lane. Well, as you can see, the nostalgia has worn off and now I`m just plain addicted ^_^

Back in 2006, a friend of mine (who also happened to be a crush) was playing it in our computer class and introduced me to it. I started playing it for the games and fell in love. I took a break for a year or 2 and when i came back I deleted my first account (silly me) but now I'm here for the long run and loving it.

To be honest , I don't remember how I found Neopets the first time ... my first account was created in 2000 ... in 2000 i was in my first year as a med student and lived in the dorms .. and I used the internet from a cyber cafe ... but honestly i don't remember how I got into Neopets .. my memory is quite distorted about this period of my life ... but then it was 2002 , i had moved into my own apartment , had my own laptop , internet connection (landline :P) and i was watching an English-speaking Korean TV station (Arirang) and they had a program on popular gaming sites .. and Neopets was top of the list .. I visited it and remembered my old account ... and i've been playing ever since :)

Actually, a store had a promotion where they gave out neopets cards (like the TCG cards but they had a whole different series specially for the store) and key chains with plushies on them) when you bought for a certain amount of money. I got a keychain with a uni on it and when I saw there was a Site to go with it I checked it out. Guess I got hooked. XD

It started around 2003.....

My cousin played when she was little, and she wouldn't shut up about it. I had trouble joining with an active account, but I managed to finally register successfully. (Registration hated me even then.) Throughout the next couple of years, my cousin and I would talk endlessly about it, until she lost interest in Neo (LONG before 2.0 came around). Due to computer problems I took a hiatus on Neo for over a year in January 2007, and returned April of 2008 to quite a surprise. Oddly, 2.0 didn't turn me off at all, and I was automatically in love with the customisation feature. I didn't however, like how your pets would get sad if you didn't feed them - but it did prompt me to look after my pets more and keep them happy (usually involving the NL). 2.0 may have caused a downfall for many older players, but it brought me foward instead of back. I'm odd that way, like the complete opposite of everybody else, I know XD.

It was either through searching or I saw a friend using it, I really don't remember.

This was a long time ago and I played fairly inconsistently, never got into it with the depth I have now.

Decided to check back up a few years ago or so and start playing with a new account, and here I am!

Now that I'm older I actually enjoy it more.

I don't quite recall... I remember I was the person who introduced Neopets to a bunch of other people, but I have no clue on how I got on here myself xD

I remember having no clue what I was supposed to do - I didn't join in on any plot events, check the news, or anything xD All I did was play some games, hang out at the money tree, and feed my pets xD. The account I have now is a more recent one where I'm a LOT more active.

My cousin told me about it around, oh, 2000? I was in 5th grade and really wasn't careful with my account info, so my oldest account was created in 2002, when I tried Neopets again as a way to pass time :)

well actually my sister got me into it when I was quite young and the site was about 3-4 years old and i've liked it ever since

It was a dark, stormy night. The branches from the trees were hitting the window. Lightning was flashing and thunder rolling. My friend [now SIL] and I were having a sleepover and were incredibly bored after her older brother and his friends came home from a soccer game and "stole" the TV from us.

Since we were incredibly upset that they kicked us out - I mean, the Hit List was on - we decided to check our "gmail" accounts, which at the time was short for "Garfield e-mail". (HEY! IT WAS COOL BACK IN THE EARLY 2000s)

We read our goofy emails that we had sent each other earlier in the day about our super rad sleepover, played a few games on Garfield.com and saw an ad for Neopets. We clicked. We joined. We played for about 10 minutes before we moved on to play Zoo Tycoon... but the power went out right when it finally loaded :(

tbh... I think we heard about Neopets before then but that was the first time (or the earliest time) that I remember joining.

I think I was introduced by my friend back in Y2 or Y3... all I know is that the Battledome was still trying to be kicked into gear and the games room was just a cabinet with a bunch of games in it or something. We played games together all the time, so it was only natural that she'd introduce me to her latest favorite. All I had to play on was my mom's crummy laptop most of the time, as my brothers hogged the PC for gaming and whenever I got it I preferred to play other games.

I was introduced to the site by 2 of my friends. It wasn't until they both started bugging me to join, that I did. The one friend played for quite a bit of time, but I don't think he's been around in a long time now. I have no idea about the other friend of mine.

But I became completely addicted on my own, even though I took breaks.

My friend showed me the site in 2005 and I decided to join. Then I took a long break until 2007 and then when I came back my first account didn't exist anymore. So I created the one I have now :)

My older brothers used to play it, and introduced it to me when I was about 6 years old in 2003. I vaguely remember owning some of the older versions of pets, the old layout of the site, and desperately wanting a Baby Usul.

Every time I joined after that was out of boredom/nostalgia, but I've never hung around this long before.

It was December 2004 and there was some sort of McDonalds promotion going on. I created an account with a yellow Chia on it, but apparently I never activated it.

Fast-forward seven months later to July 28, 2005. There was another McDonalds promotion going on, and I saw that several girls from my camp brought in Neopets toys. The next day we went on a trip to the Bronx Zoo and I'm pretty sure that they brought the toys with them on that trip.

My curiosity was piqued and later on that day, I created an account.

And that's how I discovered Neopets.

My brothers introduced me ^_^ I was back in elementary school and was bugging my brothers about what site they were playing. I figured if older kids played it, it had to be cool, so I pestered them until they made me an account. That account lasted a few years before I quit for 2 years or so. When I came back out of boredom, I made a new account and have been on it ever since C:

My cousin came over one summer and his dad brought a family friend with them and SHE was the one that introduced me to Neopets ^^

I'll always remember when she showed me everything I could do and she even gave me a Nerkmid just so I could sell it and get my first 100k that day :laughingsmiley:

I never see her on as much anymore...and that was the only summer we ever hung out so it's a good memory :3

It was when I was maybe 10 years old, still too young to go on the boards and 'fully' access the Neopets website.

I think I found Neo while searching for online pets to take care of.

I remember being so excited when my mom faxed the signed 'parent permission' sheet to them. :)

I first started playing when I was 26, my Mother told me about it and got me completely hooked. I closed out my first account after a while and started MorgennaRaene almost 6 yrs. ago, so off and on for almost 11 years total..

The first option is close enough, instead of a friend though, my sister introduced me into it.

But my earliest memory was seeing a Neopets ad while watching Nickelodeon, it was about the Battledome.

So far, I must be the newest player in this topic.

It was a dark, stormy night. The branches from the trees were hitting the window. Lightning was flashing and thunder rolling. My friend [now SIL] and I were having a sleepover and were incredibly bored after her older brother and his friends came home from a soccer game and "stole" the TV from us.

Since we were incredibly upset that they kicked us out - I mean, the Hit List was on - we decided to check our "gmail" accounts, which at the time was short for "Garfield e-mail". (HEY! IT WAS COOL BACK IN THE EARLY 2000s)

We read our goofy emails that we had sent each other earlier in the day about our super rad sleepover, played a few games on Garfield.com and saw an ad for Neopets. We clicked. We joined. We played for about 10 minutes before we moved on to play Zoo Tycoon... but the power went out right when it finally loaded :(

tbh... I think we heard about Neopets before then but that was the first time (or the earliest time) that I remember joining.

Hoohay! I've also played Zoo Tycoon.