Old pets vs New pets

shelbyleigh

I wasn't around either, I wish I was around to QUICKLY get a Royalgirl Lupe before all this happened.

And OH MY FYORA Faerie Acara! That was my very, VERY first ever dreamie back when I joined Neopets all those years ago ... when owning a Faerie Paint Brush was a HUGE status symbol XD

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find the last part of that rather snarky >_O Well, TNT, if it's been FOUR YEARS and people are STILL asking about it, why can't you take the hint? Is it because you live on customisable items and having UC pets will cripple purchases of clothing, etc. (except backgrounds and garlands)?

samee! I completely agree!

a week.. that would have been amazing ;O;

I wish I was on then :C

I wasn't around when the conversion happened, but as far as I know there was a week in which users had a chance to see what their Neopets would look like if they were customisable. Unfortunately though I don't think they specified which Neopets would be automatically converted and which ones wouldn't :(

I was on them, but it was "on again, off again", sort of thing. I don't recall us getting a warning saying; "Yo, we're going to upgrade ALL of the Neopets". I recall just a giant meepit saying; "THIS IS GOING TO BE A BIG CHANGE."

Perhaps I had missed something? But I really remember being quite surprised.

I remember when it happened..TNT announced a big surprise for us all and people were guessing on what it could be for days.

Then the day happened and that's when they redid the website's overall look and changed the pets.

We were warned about a surprise, just not this kind of surprise.

I was on them, but it was "on again, off again", sort of thing. I don't recall us getting a warning saying; "Yo, we're going to upgrade ALL of the Neopets". I recall just a giant meepit saying; "THIS IS GOING TO BE A BIG CHANGE."

Perhaps I had missed something? But I really remember being quite surprised.

I was on-and-off as well at the time, and that's what I remember too. :/ I was pretty unhappy with the surprise.

was there another uc/converted thread somewhere? i remember posting something but can't seem to find it anymore.

i actually don't mind converted pets. i was only really heartbroken about the first conversion, aka the one that happened in 2004. after that happened, i stopped caring and resigned myself to accepting art updates as a fact of neo-life. a lot of people seem to like uc pets because of their status, kind of like how people always gush about how gorgeous draiks are. of course the uc pets had a bit more character, but i make up for that with customizables, which is more fun for me. :)

I don't know about other people, but I could care less about UC pets 'status'..... I just adore how gorgeous they are ;O;

And I think draiks are popular because they look the most like dragons, and I think most young'uns go through a dragon phase, I know I did xD

It depends on the species/colour combinations for me. I'm pretty used to most of the new poses, and the Aisha REALLY needed a revamp. However, the Lutari looks plain awful. Not to mention, many colours such as Grey and Royal are not so good anymore. Ever since the conversion, I pretty much do NOT want a Royal pet. Nope. Not unless it's UC. :hmmph:

For the record, however, I don't really care if my Darigan Aisha and Faerie Xweetok are converted. They are still beautiful to me. ^_^

i actually don't mind converted pets. i was only really heartbroken about the first conversion, aka the one that happened in 2004. after that happened, i stopped caring and resigned myself to accepting art updates as a fact of neo-life. a lot of people seem to like uc pets because of their status, kind of like how people always gush about how gorgeous draiks are. of course the uc pets had a bit more character, but i make up for that with customizables, which is more fun for me. :)

I am pretty much in the same boat as you (save for the royal pets and Lutari). :laughingsmiley: Not like I ever wanted any of those anyway. Which, as I had said, is why I'm fine with my pets being converted. Wearables are another way of showing your pet's character, even more so because you can really make your pet an individual (As well, of course, as wwriting about them and drawing them, which I do a lot of ;) )

this thread makes me sad and happy at the same time. sad because the UC pets are gone but happy because people like them because they looked better. on the neoboards so many people just like UC pets because they are 'rare' and 'status symbols'. bleh, whatever.

i like customizing, but honestly, i think nearly every pet was better before and certainly they were more interesting. Some colors were just absolutely ruined (Faerie, Grey, Plushie, Royal, etc.). The only color that I think really improved in general was robot and that's mostly because their outer casings were made removable. And judging by the Bruce, I think robot pets are getting even better.

a lot of the mutant pets are quite nice at least. everyone seems to love the Acara and Kau is just insanely great. does anyone remember the really old mutant pets that were redrawn back in the old days? the kiko and the chia? both of those were great.

I remember the Kiko looked like a brown, floating ghost with black gloves. I guess it looked less mutant-like and more ghost like, so they had to do away with it, although a lot of my real life friends loved that look. The Chia was a sloppy, brown mess, correct?

The Faeries, however, weren't really good to begin with. Originally, they were just the same as the converted one. Norma pet poses with wings until the artists got creative and re-drew that way.

The Mutants now look good. Probably because they are the only pets that the artists (who drew the original beautiful UC's), can play around with without the same limitations of the other pets.

They still try to git the pet with personality; it just doesn't work well with Grey or Darigan or Royal. But Royal has to be customized; I mean, the clothing is what they are all about!

you know what, im tired of all of these pets... Painting your pet has now been trumpfed by just dressing it up using money instead of np

I agree!!! The previous pets were so beautiful and because they were more 2D, the detail could be appreciated more and they were in different poses. Now all the pets are standing the same way for customization purposes and because of that lots of the amazing detail and the different poses had to be changes.

But it's true that now we can decorate and customize to our hearts desires. So, it's kinda a lose but a win too..

I miss the old pets so much! I remember when I first started playing and I thought they all were so cute. Now they are all just sitting on their feet and look odd I.e. the Royal Girl Lupe...ummm, gross!

I miss how each one had it's little pose and now they just sit there :(

Oh dear, I nearly cry when I look through all of those old pet images! Before customization, I used to want my pets to be able to wear things so badly! The possibilities! Unfortunately, at the time my young mind didn't comprehend the fact that it would be much too difficult to draw every clothing article for every species in every colour. I didn't think there would be a need for a redraw, so when it eventually happened I was shocked and disappointed :( I think the worst part of the redraw is how the two legged pets stand there with their outstretched clenched fists. It looks like they're ready to punch someone!

I really miss the old site and the old pets. I went without a computer for about 2 years, and when I finally got one again in 2007, and logged into neopets, everything was completely different and I was so sad! I thought all the new pets were ugly and I hated the new site layout and NC and all of it. I was really excited to be able to play neopets again, since I was a teenager by then and could actually do things besides play games.

Eventually I got over it, and I do appreciate some of the new features, but I never liked the new pets or customization. I don't like that they sacrificed the cute and fun and full of personality art style just so they could have an easy generic one that they could slap a bunch of clothing on (and even then, so many of the wearables don't even look right on most species! Even a lot of the NC clothes, while pretty by themselves, look absolutely horrible on the pets).

But mostly I wish that they would have warned us and let us have the option of keeping our pets unconverted and letting us create unconverted pets. There are plenty of people who love the new site and pets, love NC and love customizing their pets, enough that even if it were possible to create UC pets, there'd still be plenty of people giving them money. I'll just never understand why they only converted some of the pets. I think they should have gone ahead and converted all of them if that's what they were going to do; UCs are the biggest headache in the game thanks to a lot of people thinking that they're just the greatest thing ever because they own one.

But that's another story, haha.

I was around but I can't actually remember the UC pets before customisation...for some reason although I've been neopets nearly 9 years it just doesn't ring any bells.

Some of the pictures though are spectacular and so much less clunky than the converted models of pets. I can see why they did it although it took me until moderately recently to get interested in customisation...but I think they should offer the option of uncoverting pets...they could probably charge a bleeding fortune in real money and people would quite happily pay it.

I was around but I can't actually remember the UC pets before customisation...for some reason although I've been neopets nearly 9 years it just doesn't ring any bells.

Some of the pictures though are spectacular and so much less clunky than the converted models of pets. I can see why they did it although it took me until moderately recently to get interested in customisation...but I think they should offer the option of uncoverting pets...they could probably charge a bleeding fortune in real money and people would quite happily pay it.

I would definitely pay for it...and this is coming from a person who has yet to spend a single cent on neopets. Customization is cool I guess, but I'm not really that into it (in my opinion, a lot of the 4 legged pets look better without clothes), and most of my pets just have trinkets, small accessories (I love wings though!) and backgrounds anyways. I remember way back when I joined neopets, my three dreamies were a Royal Girl Cybunny, a Plushie Cybunny, and a Faerie Wocky. Now, after the conversion, I'm not interested in any of them anymore (unless it's a UC XD), because they're just the regular old pets, with a different colour scheme. Oh yea, and the awful fist thing.

I honestly never understood the appeal behind UC pets. Yeah, they're pretty, but that's all they are. You can't do anything with them outside of slapping on a few trinkets. I think people only like them, because with UC pets, it's easy to slap on the old rose-tinted glasses and be nostalgic about the old artwork and, by extension, the Adam and Donna era. But that's another argument from another post. Besides, there are advantages to customization. You're not limited by the colors that PBs offer you. You can make your pet truly your own.

And there's a reason TNT won't make them available. If they did, EVERYONE would be going after UC pets. If everyone's going after the UC pets, then no one is customizing (beyond slapping on a few trinkets and never touching customization again, of course), and if no one is customizing, no one is using the NC Mall. Despite what was said earlier, I believe the only reason people customize is because there is no alternative to making pets look pretty. If TNT made UC pets available, there would be another alternative, and if that alternative has a NP method of attainment, they'll go after it instead of buying stuff from the NC Mall. Heck, even if they made a UC Potion or something available in the NC Mall, a ton of people would just buy it and never customize again. They'd make a short-term profit, but after that, they'd be making next to nothing.

I must say I definitely prefer the old pets. I don't notice it much though and am pretty much used to the new pets. I really don't like all the fancy clothes pets can wear now. I think it's cool that people can make their pets different but for the most part I think it's too much.

Wasn't there an option to keep unconverted pets unconverted?

Also, if you paint unconverted pets, do they convert? Or is it just not an option?

I honestly never understood the appeal behind UC pets. Yeah, they're pretty, but that's all they are. You can't do anything with them outside of slapping on a few trinkets. I think people only like them, because with UC pets, it's easy to slap on the old rose-tinted glasses and be nostalgic about the old artwork and, by extension, the Adam and Donna era. But that's another argument from another post. Besides, there are advantages to customization. You're not limited by the colors that PBs offer you. You can make your pet truly your own.

And there's a reason TNT won't make them available. If they did, EVERYONE would be going after UC pets. If everyone's going after the UC pets, then no one is customizing (beyond slapping on a few trinkets and never touching customization again, of course), and if no one is customizing, no one is using the NC Mall. Despite what was said earlier, I believe the only reason people customize is because there is no alternative to making pets look pretty. If TNT made UC pets available, there would be another alternative, and if that alternative has a NP method of attainment, they'll go after it instead of buying stuff from the NC Mall. Heck, even if they made a UC Potion or something available in the NC Mall, a ton of people would just buy it and never customize again. They'd make a short-term profit, but after that, they'd be making next to nothing.

I think it goes both ways, UC pets have better artwork, but you can't customize them outside of paintbrushes, backgrounds, and background accessories.

Not everyone would be able willing to give up clothing, especially if TNT made them 5k+ neocash ($50).

They wouldn't be losing much profit, and with $50+ per pet, a lot of people would still use the NC Mall for their other pets.

Clothing isn't all that unique, what your pet looks like, there's probably thousands of exact copies.

I'm not a huge fan of clothing, because most look like crap anyway.

What makes UC pets unique is that they're all not in the same pose.

I rather have pets with original artwork and poses without clothing over pets that are standing the exact same wait no matter the color or species, with the same expression and ugly clothes that aren't very unique, either.

Don't get me wrong. I do think the UC art is better, there's no denying that. But remember that a /ton/ of people demanded customization back in the day, and you can't have both, because that would take up a gigantic amount of server space. Clearly, the people on this board were not among those people.

Not everyone would be able willing to give up clothing, especially if TNT made them 5k+ neocash ($50).

Made what $50? The potions? Perhaps, but I think a huge chunk, if not the majority of the Neopian population probably would. From what I've seen of the Neoboards, most people seem to prefer UC pets over customization anyway, so I'm sure a ton of people would buy it anyway.

They wouldn't be losing much profit, and with $50+ per pet, a lot of people would still use the NC Mall for their other pets.

You obviously have no idea how much people spend on NC. Believe me, if TNT made a UC Potion a ton of people would buy multiples and never customize again and those that won't are kids who will when they have the money.

Also, another ramification of a UC Potion/whatever I forgot to mention: it would anger the people who had to work hard to achieve UC pets. They would feel cheated, because UC pets wouldn't be as special anymore, and those that would have them didn't have to put the same amount of work they had to put in.

Clothing isn't all that unique, what your pet looks like, there's probably thousands of exact copies.

That is completely false. JN's item database shows over 5000 different varieties of clothing, including NC Mall and PB wearables, and that's not even factoring in backgrounds and trinkets. There is no way something like that cannot allow you to create a unique pet unless you're literally copying the customization of someone else.

I'm not a huge fan of clothing, because most look like crap anyway.

Opinion =/= fact.

So, you're saying you don't see the appeal of UC pets, yet everyone wants them? I don't think the sample of people here in this thread (or even anyone who is posting on this site and others) is truly representative. The outspoken ones get their votes counted, yet those who don't complain go unnoticed. You see?

Another thing, I think people are trying to point out that they think the UC pets are prettier in their form. Take the royal pets for example. Once converted, they are put into the standard pose without an overall change to their bodyshape and expression. They are just dogs in a dress, not royal, regal, mystical creatures. It breaks the illusion.

And yes, I think some of this is mere nostalgia - I'll give you that. But the people who want these pets clearly don't care about "making their pet their own" because to them, it already is. When we only had 4 colors, our pets were still our own because they were ours with their own names. To say that we have to dress our pets up to make them our own is to buy into TNTs moneymaking with NC and marketing.

However, you're right. TNT will NEVER give us this option to get back the old style of pets. I don't think the primary reason is profits (because that goes without saying, and I don't think most people would even be interested in going back), but because they already took our interests in customization to the next level. They spent countless hours redesigning the pets, creating clothing for each species to wear and everything else that goes along with this process. They listened to our endless whining (for a sample, just go to any board on the site to hear anyones complaint about any aspect of neopets), gave in, and we still weren't happy. We got what we asked for and they did their best. This is the new phase, and all we can ask for is an improvement on the current system, not a reversal.

But really, I think people on this thread just want to discuss and share, not start a customization revolution.

Yeah, I know. I'm used to talking on the NeoBoards, where people DO want to start a "customization revolution" or want TNT to "bring the old Neopets back." Or so they seem to imply to me. :/ But you're right. It's the people complaining, and the fact that they're so vocal almost makes it seem like the vast majority of users on Neopets prefers the old pets/wants TNT to make UCs available. I still think a very large chunk of users does want this, though. And I'm not just taking opinions from here, I'm taking them from the NeoBoards.

I suppose I shouldn't have said "make them your own." I meant you can dress them up to suit their personality, something you can't really do very well with UCs. Plus, in some cases, you can accentuate certain characteristics about a pet colors. For example, you can make Darigan pets look even more sinister in a number of ways.

But I suppose no one really cares about that, because nothing TNT creates can trump the human imagination. :(

However, I do think I'm correct in believing that a large chunk of the user base (though not the majority) prefers UC pets/wants TNT to make UC pets available, and I stand by my profit theory (I do admit you are right, though. If the last AC proved anything, TNT doesn't like it when the users complain about something they worked very hard on). I do think making them available would be a bad idea.

And I did acknowledge that UC pets do have nicer artwork.

Don't get me wrong. I do think the UC art is better, there's no denying that. But remember that a /ton/ of people demanded customization back in the day, and you can't have both, because that would take up a gigantic amount of server space. Clearly, the people on this board were not among those people.

Made what $50? The potions? Perhaps, but I think a huge chunk, if not the majority of the Neopian population probably would. From what I've seen of the Neoboards, most people seem to prefer UC pets over customization anyway, so I'm sure a ton of people would buy it anyway.

You obviously have no idea how much people spend on NC. Believe me, if TNT made a UC Potion a ton of people would buy multiples and never customize again and those that won't are kids who will when they have the money.

Also, another ramification of a UC Potion/whatever I forgot to mention: it would anger the people who had to work hard to achieve UC pets. They would feel cheated, because UC pets wouldn't be as special anymore, and those that would have them didn't have to put the same amount of work they had to put in.

That is completely false. JN's item database shows over 5000 different varieties of clothing, including NC Mall and PB wearables, and that's not even factoring in backgrounds and trinkets. There is no way something like that cannot allow you to create a unique pet unless you're literally copying the customization of someone else.

Opinion =/= fact.

Though, I see your point, my main problem with your post is the number of people you say would buy the potion.

I disagree with it, but you could be right.

My main problem with clothing is how pets who are on all four legs have shirts pointing in this downward position, and pants that look funky.

For example is the Royalgirl Lupe. She looked so much better when she wasn't forced down on all four legs.

I wish that certain clothing (like dresses) forced pets into different poses.

I think another solution for people who want UC pets is to have a potion, but make it a normal neopoints item that is extremely rare.

As long as TNT decides not to make them event items, they would still making enough money on neocash, and people who want UC pets have their chance (if they can find and afford it)