Rebecca Black: Your opinion?

Baixinha

I myself am sort of neutral. I liked neither Friday( It was just awful, seriously) nor My Moment ( Isn't it sort of mean to write a song to tell people to shove off?) But as for her as a person I have nothing against her. She didn't write Friday, so it's just wrong to hate her for it. She's only 14 or something. Although, in my honest opinion, she has got to stop pretending she's a superstar. So what do you think??

I think everyone is being harsh to her.

She wrote my moment to tell people that no matter how much they hated her, she was still going to have her moment. It wasn't to 'show off.'

She doesn't really pretend she's a super star. So, Friday wasn't great does that make her deserve all the death threats she gets? Or people telling her she's fat, ugly and not deserving?

She, herself, seems like a really sweet girl. I may not like her songs but I do not believe it means she deserves to be bullied. If you hate her songs, fine, criticize the songs but don't criticize her.

Despite all the hatred she received she still came back with another song. I know if I was 14, I'd be too afraid. And gradually the hate is getting less. I don't see the point in people saying mean things to her or about her. I think they forget she's still a child. What young teen wouldn't want to have the chance to be famous?

So no. I do not think 'My Moment' was mean. I think it was justified. All those people telling her to go kill herself are mean, cruel and just nasty. Why go to her music videos just to say hate comments about her? Like I said, she seems like a nice girl. I don't like Friday, I think My Moment is on the verge of being okay. It's simple. You don't like her music. Don't listen to it. Don't go to her pages, or her videos just to say hateful comments. Simple as that. Let the girl live her life and you live yours.

And people may say "Oh, she's famous obviously little comments don't bother her" or "she should have expected this"

First of, as much as anyone says something doesn't bother them, it does. I'm 18 and do you know how much it hurts when people say mean things to me? I pretend it doesn't bother me, but it does. Just because someone's famous doesn't mean they stop feeling.

And secondly. She was 13 when this started. Obviously she expected it to be fine. She never expected Friday to get as many views as it did. It was just for fun. I really don't think at 13 she should have expected the hateful comments. That's her parents job. They should have thought that through.

My Middle School perspective:

First, Friday is the song you sing in the hallways and on the bus to make everyone mad. It is the dumbest song ever. But then she also somehow with the crappiest song gets boosted up. I honestly can't tell you how she became "big". It's like she just appeared on every radio station. All her songs, are just typical "What do kids like?" songs. Typical, obnoxious, loud, try to be party songs.

I don't know who that is, but I assume she's a young singer from your posts. Since I've never heard her play/sing any of those songs, I can't say whether I'd like her music or not. But as a general rule, unless I know someone personally, I'm not going to waste my time criticizing them and "hating" them. (There are certain exceptions to this rule, but they're mainly politicians xD).

So my opinion? I've never heard of her, never heard her song(s), and I don't have anything against her.

actually.. i quite liked Friday, yes it is repetitive and autotuned, but so are alot of other songs, it was a fun nonsense song. And she is reaally young too, it was just intended to be some fun for a girl who wanted to be a singer.

as a singer, she isn't the worst i've ever heard. and that song for its lyrics isn't the most stupid i've ever heard either. :P there are some really dumb songs out in the interverse.

and one of my recent fond memories is my mum, who has never ever touched youtube as far as i know.. singing Friday on Friday :P the rest of us were absolutely speechless (it was because she heard it on the news) but its a little family joke now, and so i value it :)

i haven't yet watched/heard my moment or any of her other songs (although i watched a tv performance, so she can sing on tune). its not my typical music so i'm not going to :)

My response to Rebecca Black haters:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DwT_2QQU64

(much worse imo)

And for the record, singing Friday on friday, adjusting the words to your schedule, is actually really fun :P

We all know it was over-processed, over-edited, by the book crap. This is what happens in a society of mass-production when studios charge a mere 2k to write a song for you, shoot a video and release a single. No talent, no imagination and no right to consider herself an "artist" by any stretch of the imagination. A spoiled brat who got her 15 minutes of fame and put out one more bad song just because she could. What ever happened to having dignity and taking pride in putting out good work? She is showing young teens that if you have money, you can be famous without having any skill, talent or putting in any effort. Frankly, I find this extremely irresponsible for a girl who is now considered a role model by some people. As far as her two "songs" she's gone the traditional pop-star route: put out a song to get attention, then complain about the bad attention. Get over yourself and please stop wasting our time with your crap, Ms. Black. If you played an instrument or even wrote your own songs, displaying some degree of relevant talent, I might be able to spare a shard of respect for you.

Eh, I am not a Rebecca Black fan by any means. I tend to find her music quite aggravating actually.

I mean, has anyone actually watched the Friday video? Why is a thirteen year old girl worrying about partying, and why are thirteen year old children driving cars? I was watching it and thinking, okay you lost me here.

I personally believe some talent should be included when actually becoming a *star*. I believe Rebecca Black is famous for being horrible actually. They have said her song & video for Friday were the most hated on the internet before. It's being famously terrible, which makes absolutely no sense to me.

My main problem with her is she truly doesn't really seem to try to be any better than what she has been labeled as, she is young (way too young) and is riding this "famous for being annoying" train, instead of maybe taking some of the publicity she has gotten to do a bit better.

I have nothing against the girl personally as I do not know her personally, but for the sake of my ears & what is left of my sanity, she shouldn't be on the airwaves.... Ever! :)

I think everyone is being harsh to her.

She wrote my moment to tell people that no matter how much they hated her, she was still going to have her moment. It wasn't to 'show off.'

She doesn't really pretend she's a super star. So, Friday wasn't great does that make her deserve all the death threats she gets? Or people telling her she's fat, ugly and not deserving?

She, herself, seems like a really sweet girl. I may not like her songs but I do not believe it means she deserves to be bullied. If you hate her songs, fine, criticize the songs but don't criticize her.

Despite all the hatred she received she still came back with another song. I know if I was 14, I'd be too afraid. And gradually the hate is getting less. I don't see the point in people saying mean things to her or about her. I think they forget she's still a child. What young teen wouldn't want to have the chance to be famous?

So no. I do not think 'My Moment' was mean. I think it was justified. All those people telling her to go kill herself are mean, cruel and just nasty. Why go to her music videos just to say hate comments about her? Like I said, she seems like a nice girl. I don't like Friday, I think My Moment is on the verge of being okay. It's simple. You don't like her music. Don't listen to it. Don't go to her pages, or her videos just to say hateful comments. Simple as that. Let the girl live her life and you live yours.

And people may say "Oh, she's famous obviously little comments don't bother her" or "she should have expected this"

First of, as much as anyone says something doesn't bother them, it does. I'm 18 and do you know how much it hurts when people say mean things to me? I pretend it doesn't bother me, but it does. Just because someone's famous doesn't mean they stop feeling.

And secondly. She was 13 when this started. Obviously she expected it to be fine. She never expected Friday to get as many views as it did. It was just for fun. I really don't think at 13 she should have expected the hateful comments. That's her parents job. They should have thought that through.

Hey. I never said anything about she herself being bad, just those stupid songs. and My Moment is almost as horrible as Friday, so there. And I still think the message of My Moment is pointless. As good a girl as she is, she is not a star. And WHO CARES if I was 1 year off on her age??

Eh, I am not a Rebecca Black fan by any means. I tend to find her music quite aggravating actually.

I mean, has anyone actually watched the Friday video? Why is a thirteen year old girl worrying about partying, and why are thirteen year old children driving cars? I was watching it and thinking, okay you lost me here.

I personally believe some talent should be included when actually becoming a *star*. I believe Rebecca Black is famous for being horrible actually. They have said her song & video for Friday were the most hated on the internet before. It's being famously terrible, which makes absolutely no sense to me.

My main problem with her is she truly doesn't really seem to try to be any better than what she has been labeled as, she is young (way too young) and is riding this "famous for being annoying" train, instead of maybe taking some of the publicity she has gotten to do a bit better.

I have nothing against the girl personally as I do not know her personally, but for the sake of my ears & what is left of my sanity, she shouldn't be on the airwaves.... Ever! :)

too true. Nothing is wrong with her as a person, but she is not famous for what she wants to be famous for

This post has been edited by a member of staff (Spritzie) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Please don't double post. If you would like to add something, use the 'Edit' button.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

We all know it was over-processed, over-edited, by the book crap. This is what happens in a society of mass-production when studios charge a mere 2k to write a song for you, shoot a video and release a single. No talent, no imagination and no right to consider herself an "artist" by any stretch of the imagination. A spoiled brat who got her 15 minutes of fame and put out one more bad song just because she could. What ever happened to having dignity and taking pride in putting out good work? She is showing young teens that if you have money, you can be famous without having any skill, talent or putting in any effort. Frankly, I find this extremely irresponsible for a girl who is now considered a role model by some people. As far as her two "songs" she's gone the traditional pop-star route: put out a song to get attention, then complain about the bad attention. Get over yourself and please stop wasting our time with your crap, Ms. Black. If you played an instrument or even wrote your own songs, displaying some degree of relevant talent, I might be able to spare a shard of respect for you.

I don't think it's fair for you to call her a spoiled brat. She seems nice enough. If anyone's to blame it's her parents. A 13 year old girl would jump on the wagon of fame, almost any 13 year old would. Her parents should have waited until she was more mature enough to understand the consequences.

And Baixinha I wasn't personally responding to you. Nor was I including you in anything I said. I never said you said those things. I was speaking in general. I wasn't attacking you, like you seem to think, although I never said she was a star. I was merely commenting on the death threats, and insults she's received that have NOTHING to do with her music. My point is, she produces a lousy single, cool, does that mean bullying her is okay?

And my moment is almost as horrible as Friday, 'so there?' Really? That's your opinion. Saying so there doesn't make it true, nor is your opinion right. Music taste is a matter of opinion and I find I can actually listen to 'my moment' where I can't listen to 'Friday.'

Everyone's blaming the girl. Her parents control her money. Rebecca Black seems nice enough a girl and she's been bullied terribly. For producing a song that the people taht were paid to, produced. She was 13, like I said. She's a follower, not a leader at this point.

I have a lot of respect for Rebecca Black.

Friday is a terrible song. But she didn't write it, and you have to admit, it IS hilarious. I couldn't help but listen to it over and over again, because it made me laugh. At the same time, she sounded terrible in it--but really, that was because they autotuned too much. I listened to the unplugged version, and she sounded WAY better.

Here's something that no one has brought up, and it REALLY makes me respect her: she donated the profits from Friday to tsunami victims in Japan. After all the abuse she has been getting over the song, I would say she deserves to keep some money--she'll need some for therapy and protection, because people have actually been threatening her with murder and rape. That is NOT okay--it should never happen to anyone, and definitely not to a thirteen-year-old.

And one last thing: for a now fourteen-year-old, she actually sounds pretty good. If she had waited a few years to mature, maybe take some pop voice lessons, she could have become a huge, successful star who was actually LOVED. You can't tell in Friday with all the autotune, and My Moment kind of sounded flat. (Not flat in tune, but boring flat.) But listen to

. She sounds good. Better than most pop singers these days, really. Don't listen to the people who have a version "without autotune" because those are all fake. This one has very limited autotune--the autotune is reserved for echoes.

Friday is a terrible song. But she didn't write it, and you have to admit, it IS hilarious. I couldn't help but listen to it over and over again, because it made me laugh. At the same time, she sounded terrible in it--but really, that was because they autotuned too much. I listened to the unplugged version, and she sounded WAY better.

Here's something that no one has brought up, and it REALLY makes me respect her: she donated the profits from Friday to tsunami victims in Japan. After all the abuse she has been getting over the song, I would say she deserves to keep some money--she'll need some for therapy and protection, because people have actually been threatening her with murder and rape. That is NOT okay--it should never happen to anyone, and definitely not to a thirteen-year-old.

And one last thing: for a now fourteen-year-old, she actually sounds pretty good. If she had waited a few years to mature, maybe take some pop voice lessons, she could have become a huge, successful star who was actually LOVED. You can't tell in Friday with all the autotune, and My Moment kind of sounded flat. (Not flat in tune, but boring flat.) But listen to

. She sounds good. Better than most pop singers these days, really. Don't listen to the people who have a version "without autotune" because those are all fake. This one has very limited autotune--the autotune is reserved for echoes.

Hey you know what? i almost liked Person Of Interest!! It was sort of tuneless and didn't make a heck of a lot of sense, but it was less autotuned and she sounded pretty good. thanks for the link!! And thanks to Rebecca for putting that song up!! Oh and April, by saying so there I had no intent to force you to think my opinion was right, and my opinion is just as valid as yours. Think about that for a while.

Thank you! This is exactly what I've been trying to say. I just suck at explaining.

But she does sound great without auto tune. Have any of you guys heard her sing the national anthem? Well a small part of it?

Whether you like or hate the song does NOT mean it's okay to bully her. You don't know her as a person. And even if you did, bullying is never okay.

And Baixinha. It's the internet, when you say 'so there' that what it sounds like. It sounds like you're saying your opinion is right. And I never said my opinion was any more important than yours. I just explained what it was and that yours wasn't right. By saying yours isn't right, I know mine isn't as well. Opinions are neither right or wrong.

This.

But I always sing the Friday song on Friday... or any day when someone asks me what day it is. ^_^''' It makes me happy.

She's a good kid. Some people get so riled up about the silliest things.

Even though I dislike her music, it's not fair for people to make fun of her and give her crap. Calling her ugly is just wrong. Heck, calling any 14 year old girl ugly is terrible! I respect her though because regardless of all this bashing she keeps going. I saw a parody on Friday and thought it was despicable. The person doing the parody was singing "It's Friday, Friday, I'm so "Cheap" on Friday(not sure if I can use "the S word for cheap girls)on TDN.

I hope she didn't see it. Even though she is famous, she is still young and vulnerable to peoples bull. I know I was when I was her age.

And who the heck knows? She could be a very sweet, kind person.

So, Go Rebbecca! Don't give into haters!

I think she's famous for being bad. And, well, haters prey on 14 year olds. They always attack the kids.

Also, seeing as her songs are Internet memes, that's just another reason why everyone hates her. Perhaps when she's older she'll be better. Or not. But to be honest, she's a bit too young to be doing things like that. From what I know, she got estactic about getting a role in a musical play and wanted to become a pop star because of it. Or something like that.

But pop stars are NOT for kids. Only people over 20 should be allowed to do that, and we have Justin Bieber as proof. So when she's in her 20s, she'll be able to be a pop star and a good one. Maybe. There ARE a lot of bad pop stars out there that are older than 20.

I think she's famous for being bad. And, well, haters prey on 14 year olds. They always attack the kids.

Also, seeing as her songs are Internet memes, that's just another reason why everyone hates her. Perhaps when she's older she'll be better. Or not. But to be honest, she's a bit too young to be doing things like that. From what I know, she got estactic about getting a role in a musical play and wanted to become a pop star because of it. Or something like that.

But pop stars are NOT for kids. Only people over 20 should be allowed to do that, and we have Justin Bieber as proof. So when she's in her 20s, she'll be able to be a pop star and a good one. Maybe. There ARE a lot of bad pop stars out there that are older than 20.

What's wrong with being a teen pop star? Think of how boring the world would be if all the world's stars were adults.

I personally hate her songs myself, but her as a person, I don't have a problem with. The poor girl is only 14... Friday was a low budget song produced for her as a birthday present from her parents. Although it may pain every fiber of my soul to listen to, she actually has some pretty good vocals if you hear her sing anything decent. In 60 Minutes

I personally hate her songs myself, but her as a person, I don't have a problem with. The poor girl is only 14... Friday was a low budget song produced for her as a birthday present from her parents. Although it may pain every fiber of my soul to listen to, she actually has some pretty good vocals if you hear her sing anything decent. In 60 Minutes

Exactly. This is the point I was trying to make, April. Thank you.

i feel REALLY bad for her.

she doesn't have a horrible voice or anything, it's the songs produced or written for her, they suck.

you have millions of people bashing her, and she's able to stay positive, respect to that.

I can't stand her songs and I personally think she's a bad singer, but I would never go out of may to bash on people. If I'm on youtube and I run across someone's singing that I don't like, I stop watching. I feel no inclination whatsoever to leave hateful comments, and I don't understand people who do. Do I like Rebecca Black? No, but I do admire her ability to stay positive.

• 2 weeks later...

Her singing might be bad and her songs might not be "proper", but she's just a kid!

Just because people think Friday was bad, it doesn't make her a bad singer. She didn't write the song, anyway.

In fact, she's become famous only because of that song.

I don't like how people react and comment about that song. She doesn't deserve such atrocious comments.

She sings only because she likes to. And she's not personally annoying everyone, is she?

Oh, and the song Noog mentioned, My Jeans. is much worse than Friday. :mellow:

In all honesty I have nothing against her as a person. But her songs make me grind my teeth. I blame her parents for pushing her out publicly like that without really much experience in the musical industry. I think a lot of people forget that she's so young, and couldn't possibly have made those singles by herself - she clearly had adults pushing her.

I honestly think as with many singers nowadays talent doesn't mean much; it's your image and your contacts (and money, in a lot of cases), which clearly her parents had/have.