Everyone should put a PIN on everything in their account, NOW.

Cornflakes

Don't know how this happened, but clearly someone got into my main and discovered I had put PINs on everything. Unfazed, they actually sent in a help ticket to Neopets to try to get my PIN number!

I received this email just now:

Hi Rachel!

Hi There!

Thanks for writing! Could you please list the email address for this account so we can send you a PIN there?

Thanks!

Delilah D., The Neopets Team

Ticket Information:

Ticket #: 5163-6050777

Date Created: 6/14/2011 6:38:09 AM

Summary: I just recently came back to neopets and my pin is bouncing and won't send. I have the original email this account was created on, but it keeps saying the pin was not delivered.

Needless to say, it wasn't me that submitted this help request. I immediately logged out and changed my password. I also logged out of my email and changed THAT password too.

I also responded to the email and explained that it wasn't me that asked for this information, and to NOT give my PIN out to ANYONE!!

So if I get frozen, that will probably be why. :( God knows what this jerk has been doing with my account for two days! I am so angry :grrr:

That stinks...I don't know what I'd do if my accounts were to get frozen and if I were to lose my beloved pets. The fact somebody else was on your account trying to get your information is even scarier.

I think having their accounts hacked has happened to just about every Neopets player before; if it hasn't happened yet it probably will. I see there are others like me who have not yet had this happen to them yet, and I do agree that it is best to keep our accounts as tightly locked as Fort Nox. You never know when the day will come.

This seriously sucks. :( Securing your account with PINs is a good idea, and it's also probably best to keep regularly changing your email and Neopets account passwords (as you should be doing with any account ;) ), to minimise the chances of this happening.

May I point out though that we shouldn't be calling these people hackers?

I have a PIN on everything, on all of my accounts. I'm glad your account was safe.

Starlite, I would put it on every account, just to be safe.

I put PINS on all but one of my accounts because I have to go to bed soon. However, after I created the PINS I sent them to my email so I'll always have them.

wow. Thats unbelievable. how did they figure out your password?? Speaking of which, I cant believe the stupid people on youtube. Ive seen so many people comment on Neo videos @ youtube. Some are clever. they say it wont work with n00bs because TNT would think transferring 10 million NP to a noob account is suspicious...idiots.

Wow, thats really scary. This prompted me to start using a PIN. Thanks for the advice, everyone.

Hooray! Not that I'm trying to say that just because I got hacked means that EVERYONE will get hacked, but I'm happy promoting safer accounts for all!

And to AA, I use the words "hacker" and "hacked" for universal clarity...I'm not going to bother with the finer distinctions right now. :P

Someone got into my old main years ago and I lost about 7mil from my bank. Just logged in one day and it was all gone. Strangely, they didn't touch any of my items. Between my gallery and SDB, I had a few million worth of items as well. That's before I had PINs on anything. You hear about other people getting scammed, but don't really think much of it until it happens to you. It's always better to be safe than sorry. Why on earth anyone would want to steal pixels is beyond me though.

My account has been hacked a few years ago too, lucky that the only thing that the hacker did was changing my password, so I retrieved the password through e-mail, and then change the password to something else; thinking back to that, I was quite lucky, nothing was lost

Now I have PINs on a few part of my account, not all though, cuz I feel that having PIN on everything is quite annoying sometimes...

I spite hackers.

I put a pin on everything just a few moments ago, even though I change my password often. I had a friend who had his old account hacked this past March, and I wasn't pleased.

I got a response from TnT today...

Hi Rachel!

I am very sorry, there is no way for us to know that a potential hijacker is writing us when they supply correct information regarding account. However, please be assured that we will NEVER sent a PIN or password to any alternate email addresses and especially not via a support ticket. So long as the email address for your account is secure, your account is secure as well. :) Thanks!

Well that's a relief, and I feel cared about now :)

I got a response from TnT today...

Hi Rachel!

I am very sorry, there is no way for us to know that a potential hijacker is writing us when they supply correct information regarding account. However, please be assured that we will NEVER sent a PIN or password to any alternate email addresses and especially not via a support ticket. So long as the email address for your account is secure, your account is secure as well. :) Thanks!

Well that's a relief, and I feel cared about now :)

Yay! And you're not frozen! That is good that our Neopets accounts can be secure!(Unless you don't put pins)

Wow Cornflakes, reading all that sounded really scary!

Ive been hacked in two games i played in my lifetime and on neopets just once.

Im so glad your not frozen! ^_^ Hope you have a safe time on neopets now <3