Is it worth it?

normal guy

37 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have the Secret Laboratory Map?

In most cases, it's worth buying the secret map. It's fun to use, and you can get many great zaps throughout the time. However, if you have a fixed idea for how you want your pet to look, you might dislike using the lab ray.

It's especially good for raising your pet's stats, especially if you don't care what species or color your pet is. The downside to that is it raises them unevenly, so I have a pet that's level 50 with 500+ HP and a defence of less than 10. My advice is to use the lab ray but supplement it with training. Definitely keep your level up with your HP as it increases. I wish I had done that.

I really enjoy the lab map. I haven't had much luck with my current lab pet (It started as a Blue Koi and has been an Invisible Koi for a couple months now.) but I've had some awesome zaps in the past, including an Ice Hissi (a dream pet of mine) Fire Hissi, Chocolate Usul, Korbat: Faerie, Maraquan, Darigan, Checkered.

Even if you don't get a dream pet from it (at least right away) it's a lot of fun. So it the Petpet lab.

Just collected pieces for my side account. The prices dropped; I've all the pieces for slightly more than 800K. :D

W00t! Congrats. Have fun!

I paid slightly over 850K for mine because some jerk put a nine-piece trade up that had 2 of the same piece. :(

I'd say it depends on what you're using it for. If you want a sweet-looking pet and you don't really have anything specific in mind, the Lab Ray's great because eventually (it takes patience!) you'll get a wide array of awesomeness. If you're looking for a specific species/color combination, the lab might help you get it (unless it's a non-lab ray color like Usuki, Plushie, Baby, Pirate, and Royal), but don't get your hopes up that it'll happen on the first zap.

If you're looking to get a Battledome pet out of it, I'd say it's a worthy investment. My current BD pet got his stats through the Lab Ray, which saved me a lot on training. But, as lamppost said, you have to keep it fairly even through training, especially with levels. If you have a level 3 pet with 64 strength or something like that, you have to increase the level to 32 before you can do anything else. I've had to do this, and it's a big pain, especially because it was during The Faerie's Ruin plot and I was looking to kill some wraiths. XP

Here's a good FAQ site that might help you. It also show the various changes the person's pets went through, just so you have a good idea of what to expect.

Its always worth it to buy the Secret Laboratory Map. Its a great way to 'train' your pets for free, and you can also get some very nice species/colors out of it for 'free' (so it basically pays you back fairly quickly). There are also certain colors for pets you cannot get except through the lab ray (chocolate, robot, magma, etc).

I'm afraid to buy it. I don't want my pet to change gender or such, and the only reason I would get it is for a Krawk or Draik, which are both very rare.

So it all depends on luck really. I'm going to get it, but I'll need a guinea pig...

I think that the lab maps are one of the best investments you can make. It's a one time payment for a life-long benefit. Sure, you can say that your pet dropped in level or it got turned into mutant, but overall, you will be getting an EXCELLENT deal. For example, I picked up a basic pet from the pound, zapped it, traded it a few times, and now I have a Chocolate Xweetok, and it didn't cost me anything other than the original lab pieces and transfers fees. Granted the maps were a lot cheaper when I bought them (more than 10x cheaper XD)

It seems like the general consensus on the board is to get them while they are hot.

I guess it definitely depends on what you want.

In my case, I have no dream pet, but enjoy seeing my pet randomly changing species and color :)

It's also kind of a long-term pet training method. It completely messes up training at the academy or island school, but in the long run, after months of zapping, you will see a noticeable gain in the HP and strength of your pet :)

I'm afraid to buy it. I don't want my pet to change gender or such, and the only reason I would get it is for a Krawk or Draik, which are both very rare.

So it all depends on luck really. I'm going to get it, but I'll need a guinea pig...

Honestly, it might be worth it. The chances if you zapping a Draik/Krawk are slim but the chances if you zapping a pet to TRADE for one is considerably higher :)

the lab map is great on the long run ...

first of all if you're a bit mischievous like me ... it's so much fun to use and see your pet change species / color / gender ... my latest zap was a ZOMBIE PEOPHIN !!

the lab ray is also great for raising stats .. but as someone said before me .. it raises them unevenly .. especially the defence .. it seems for every time i gain 1 defence point , i lose 3 in return ... that's why i rely on Coltzan for my defence status .. but on the other hand , my pet has 98 str and 285 HP which helped me cap most of the shadows in the last plot (except the last 2) ...

also , there are colors which are exclusive to the lab ray .. which are chocolate , custard , clay , robot , ice , sponge , jelly , snot . In addition to some species colors like like the coconut and garlic jubjubs , msp poogle , mallow grundo , and alien aisha .. and most of these pets are highly wanted when trading pets ..

you might get a lucky zap and have an avatar pet : fire blumaroo , orange grundo , pea chia , halloween ruki , halloween lupe , darigan tonu , etc .. and it's definitely better than going thru the humiliation of begging people to lend you their avatar pets ...

personally i have found the lab ray a very gratifying and fun experience ... I have had 3 accounts on neo since I started playing ... and my primary objective each time was the Lab Ray before anything else ...

wish I could a second lab map for my side ... I'd definitely love to get more than one zap per day ...

Honestly, it might be worth it. The chances if you zapping a Draik/Krawk are slim but the chances if you zapping a pet to TRADE for one is considerably higher :)

I'll save for it, but after the dream contest, just in case I win (yeah right).