Neopets Upgrading To New System - Expect Downtime

hrtbrk

Update: Neopets is currently down, but you can still play some fun games!

Today's News started off with a note from TNT stating that they will be moving all accounts (usernames and passwords) to a brand new system with new Terms of Service and better site safety in general.

Because of the upgrade, you may experience some slowness or even downtime. Also during this time, you will not be able to register new accounts or change any of your account information until the transfer is complete.

Once the move is finished, you will be faced with changes to the private policy and terms of service when you first log in. You may also have to resubmit some account information like your email address, country and other information (don't worry, it's safe).

minilawyerbot.png

Here is TNT's statement:

Site Update - Over the next few days, the Code Myncis will be migrating all account information, like usernames and such, over to a fancy new system they built. They're really jazzed about it, but that unfortunately means some slowness and downtime for the site overall, so we wanted to give you a heads up and let you know what to expect once they're done:

• Usernames and passwords will work on both Neopets.com and PetpetPark.com. (They already do, but this is better.) ;)
  • During this time, you may not be able to update your account data on the site, including your password. (There will be an error message instead.)
  • Our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy will have changed! You will see a message to accept the new versions the next time you log in after the maintenance is over.
  • Registration will be down for a bit during this time so you will not be able to create new accounts.
  • We need to fill in missing data in the new system, so you may be asked to update your email address (or your parents email address), your country, and your state information.

We hope to keep the downtime as short as possible, but please be patient with us during the maintenance!

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope the changes actually do make Neopets a better place. I'm always concerned about changes to TOSes. I'm always worried that they will fail to protect my privacy adequately.

Hmm... I'm curious as to what architectural changes this involves. I presume it's largely a backend database change, but I'm still curious to see if there are any adjustments to the session system, and if there are any security related differences at all.

I am really excited about this!! :wub_anim: I have been scared of even going to the boards with all this paranoia! I don't care if they take a week, but I am glad they're doing what it takes to end this thievery outbreak. and I expect it to be even faster, Neo was having awful lag problems.. hopefully, this will put an end to that too! :woot:

*Backs up Userlookup* I did mine, is not super fancy but it took much effort! :O am not a computer wiz you know.. :*

Weirdest thing...I just got an e-mail from a neofriend telling me that my account is FROZEN! I haven't been on for a few days, since my husband has been on leave, so I have no idea why and I have not received an e-mail telling me so. I went to check it out and the site is down... *-_-

I'm seriously upset!!... okay not seriously... But did it have to go down NOW!?! I'm almost done with chaper 2 of neoquest and am trying to get the avies... AND my husband just left for bowling league I didn't go with him because I figured I'd be entertained! Anyone have any idea how long they will be down? :sad02: