Favorite Books?

pedlimwen

I love reading young adult fantasy and science fiction and am always looking for recommendations! What are some of your favorites? I'm reading Suzanne Collins' Hunger Games trilogy right now - even though we can't expect the last book until August! - and it is really fantastic.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Science fiction and fantasy are my two favourite genres. Some of my favourite authors and series are:

Robin Hobb - The Assassin's trilogy and The Tawny Man Trilogy

Jacqueline Carey - Kushiel's Legacy (trilogy)

Jennifer Fallon - Wolfbade Trilogy

Scott Lynch - Lies of Locke Lamora

Brett Weeks - The Night Angel Trilogy

I could think of many many more but thats over 15 books to read!

I kind of liked the Hunger Games books... although I felt that the two are so different. (The first was super good!)

But I like reading all kinds of books from mystery, to fantasty, to comedy, to fiction, to autobiographica, to "educational".

I'm currently re-reading the Sookie Stackhouse series... for the third time. :*

If you like a Twilight style of book, try Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick.

In the science fiction genre I would definitely recommend both Orwell's 1984 and C.S. Lewis' The Space Trilogy. The only problem with the Space Trilogy is that all the books take a bit to get interesting, but they are certainly worth the effort.

My all time favourite is Harry Potter, no question about that! ^_^

But genre-wise, I really like fantasy and mystery, and I'm a HUGE fan of Stephen King, his books are always so gripping. My favourite Stephen King book was Dreamcatcher. Yes, it's gruesome and creepy in ways, but I really liked it o_O

And I also like reading those short girly books at school, cause most of the other books I like are too heavy to carry around! Haha :laughingsmiley:

I guess my tastes kinda range all across the board on books. I'm a total bookworm, so anything I haven't read, I'll read and things I like, I read over and over. XD

Oh, but I HATE non-fiction, I hardly ever bother with them.

I never read Twilight and don't intend to read the series... my sort of vampires are more like Lestat than they are Edward :)

1984 should be required reading, for sure! I've always enjoyed Margaret Atwood's The Handmaid's Tale as a female counterpart. Though it's dark, dark, dark.

I read Stephen King's The Shining for school, and even though it was broad daylight and I had all the doors locked when I was reading it, I had trouble. It was still really good.

There are so many others I've read that I've enjoyed. Juliet Marillier's Sevenwaters trilogy - though that could be classified as adult fantasy, I suppose, though the content isn't edgy or anything - and Garth Nix's Abhorsen trilogy. Alison Croggon's The Books of Pellinor are pretty great, too, though like The Hunger Games - so far - the first one was the best one. I wonder if it isn't just that initial world building that makes it so good?

Favorites:

Harry Potter (all of them)

Diary of a Wimpy Kid (I feel like a child reading these, but their funny)

Some Stephon King books

A Series of Unfortunate Events (I love these)

I don't have a favorite genre.

I don't read a lot of fiction anymore, but I used to like reading fantasy novels. Here's a list of some of my favorites:

Terry Brooks: The entire Shannara series. Although I love the original trilogy, the Heritage series was possibly a bit better. If you like modern-day fantasy (I don't), then the Landover books are pretty good too.

David Eddings: Eddings is an amazing author! His books are super easy to read, and they are filled with vivid descriptions and dry humour. I highly recommend reading the Belgariad series and then the Mallorean series. All of his other books I've read, so far, have also been great.

As for sci fi, I'm a diehard Ray Bradbury fan. He mostly writes short stories, but he has some full-length novels. Bradbury is not easy to read. He uses some very peculiar sentence structure. I find myself having to go back and reread stuff all the time. Fahrenheit 451 is a really good novel, especially if you had taken the advice of others and read (and liked) Orwell's 1984.

I like the Harry Potter (yes, even the last one which everyone I know seems to hate :P), The Uglies Series and of course basically everything written by Terry Pratchett.

Oh yes, I can't forget about H.P Lovecraft, even though his novels are a bit too hard in English to understand for me.

I never read Twilight and don't intend to read the series... my sort of vampires are more like Lestat than they are Edward :)

There are so many others I've read that I've enjoyed. Juliet Marillier's Sevenwaters trilogy - though that could be classified as adult fantasy, I suppose, though the content isn't edgy or anything - and Garth Nix's Abhorsen trilogy. Alison Croggon's The Books of Pellinor are pretty great, too, though like The Hunger Games - so far - the first one was the best one. I wonder if it isn't just that initial world building that makes it so good?

Wow, I agree with you 100% there. I absolutely love anything and everything my Juliet Marillier. I have to say that I loved the last of the Pelinor books possibly more than the first. I haven't read the Hunger Games so I'll have to check those out but to add to the list I highly suggest Secret Sacrament by Sheryl Jordan, possibly one of my all time favorite books.

I like the Harry Potter (yes, even the last one which everyone I know seems to hate :P)

Do people really hate the last one? I thought it was a good end to the series though I must say the 3rd one is my favorite.

I love vampire books but I am NOT a big Twilight Fan. (mark the word 'NOT')

I love Vampire Chronicles. House of night was good too.

I am reading Hunger Games Trilogy too and it is more than awesome!

I absolutely love Harry Potter.

Diary of a Wimpy Kid was funny, for sure! I read it when I was, like, 12 or 13.

Stephen King is good too.

And my favorite book by him is The Stand.

I have enjoyed the Harry Potter series, but my real love is The Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind. I suggest everyone reads them if they like magic and awesome adventures. I also have a love of the Narnia series. I read a series called Uncle John's Bathroom Readers too. They're full of awesome random facts.

I also have read the Young Jedi Knights series. That's good too. It's geared more towards teens and such but it's still a good series. I also have a love of Anthem by Ayn Rand. I have yet to read Atlas Shrugged but I have it. I also have almost all of Robert Jordan's books.

I also suggest any book by Kathy Reichs. Oh, and the Dragonriders of Pern series.

My favorite author right now is Tamora Pierce she writes amazing fantasy novels that from the moment you start reading your hooked till the end and you keep wanting more. She's an awesome writer and I've read almost all of her books. I'm anxiously awaiting the third book in her newest mini-series titled Mastiff in the Tortallan Universe. Google her and you'll find her website with all the books she's written. Personally I don't have a favorite series or book from her as they're all wonderful!

EDIT: I've heard of the House of Night series and it actually seems interesting. I'm planning on reading the first book after I finish my current series.

James Patterson's When the Wind Blows, the Lake House and the Maximum Ride series....people with wings on the run, go read it!

Oh!

How can I forget the Maximum Ride?!

I absolutely loved it.

Right now I just finished The Angel Experiment.

My brother gave it to me.

I thought it would be OK.

But it was fun, for sure! :)

I'll read pretty much anything, so long as it's reasonably good.

I read the whole Twilight series last summer just because my aunt had all the books, and I was super bored with nothing else to do o_O IHMO they weren't that great, but they weren't all that awful either. I haven't seen the movies, and I don't plan on it. Same with the Harry Potter series... I read all the books when I was younger, but the few HP movies I've seen are garbage IMO.

I started reading the Sookie Stackhouse series a while back after the 2nd season of True Blood ended. Man I love that show. And the books are well-written and often make me actually laugh out loud. I think I'm on like the seventh... the titles of all the books in that series are so confusing. It's all "dead this" or "dead that" haha ^_^

A few summers back I dove into my university's library and started to read all those classic books that are studied in lit classes, like:

Naked Lunch by William S. Burroughs

The Stranger by Albert Camus

The Man in the High Castle and Flow my Tears, the Policeman Said by Philip K. puppyblew (not actually his last name but I guess there is a filter for that word... lol sorry!)

A Brave New World by Aldous Huxley

I would recommend any of these to anyone looking for something different to read. It's nice to shut off your brain while reading and just take it at face value, but it's also nice sometimes to stretch your mind and think about what you're reading and the different ways in can be interpreted. I love discussing symbolism in books/movies, ugh I could do it til I'm blue in the face. I love books that are thought-provoking and don't follow the norm. Naked Lunch is one of the most difficult things I've ever read, and the movie is pretty messed up too. I'd say my favourite movie/book pairing is No Country For Old Men by Cormac MacCarthy. I need to read some of his other ones too. I think I read All The Pretty Horses by him as well, I just don't remember... haha.

Oh and probably one of my favourite books ever... Life of Pi. I probably read it three times one summer. Love it.

P.S. Keep in mind some of these books might not be PG 0:) ...so uh. Can't say I didn't warn you, haha.

Wow hannahbee__xo, you really look like an experienced reader. :yes:

I have seen some of your mentioned books in a near by bookstore. I think I am going to try some of them. :)

Wow hannahbee__xo, you really look like an experienced reader. :yes:

I have seen some of your mentioned books in a near by bookstore. I think I am going to try some of them. :)

Haha thanks :* having access to all these great older books for free is definitely an advantage.

Plus my ex was a comparative-literature genius which motivated me to read more classics for sure :whistle:

Haha thanks :* having access to all these great older books for free is definitely an advantage.

Plus my ex was a comparative-literature genius which motivated me to read more classics for sure :whistle:

Good for you. :)

I am trying to be a good reader too. But too much of studies and homeworks are just preventing me from reading anything.

But I am going to buy some new books tomorrow.

Hope I find some good ones. :D

I am trying to be a good reader too. But too much of studies and homeworks are just preventing me from reading anything.

But I am going to buy some new books tomorrow.

Hope I find some good ones. :D

Take your time with it. You're young ^_^ it's nice to read during time off from school to give your mind a break. Just do it when you can... 10 pages here and there adds up, and it's a nice way to pace yourself and keep from finishing it in one night (which I have done o_O ).

I don't know about you, but I'm a pretty fast reader--so it's a good thing my book list is a mile long by the summer. I have no time for it during the school year, so once I get some time off I go through them all very quickly.

I am a fast reader too, if only the books are interesting and happening.

But I still try, anyways.

God!

My mom is forcing me to read Breaking Dawn. (The forth book of twilight.)

And I am not really into it.

But, right now, I am going to start a new book that I brought from the city library.

Hope it's nice! :)

Maximum Ride is a good book. It's a young adult fantasy novel, consisting of six books. Though it's not the best book ever ... but is entertaining. I enjoyed it. :)

You guys should try it if you haven't. It can be a bit boring at the middle though.