Favorite Books?

pedlimwen

I'm really into novels, mostly those that were written a long time ago. I am going through all the Jane Austen novels and am at the last one. But I enjoyed them all and "Persuasion" is now my favorite, followed by "Emma". After that I really like "100 Years of Solitude" by Gabriel Garcia Marquez, "Pride and Prejudice" by Jane Austen, "Fahrenheit 451" by Ray Bradbury (though it became my favorite after the second time through it), the Narnia Chronicles by C.S. Lewis, and then all the rest of the Jane Austen novels that I've read ("Sense and Sensability", "Mansfield Park"). I'm on "Northanger Abbey" at the moment and it doesn't seem like it won't get onto the list, since I'm enjoying it thus far. :]

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of my favourite fantasy author is Tamora Pierce. She writes some amazing books. The Beka Cooper series by her is my current favourite and I've been waiting for what feels like forever for the last one to come out. XP Libba Bray's books are realy good as well. She wrote the Rebel Angels series I believe its called. But most definitly my favourite of all book series at the moment is the Stravaganza series by Mary Hoffman.

I read one of the Sookie Stackhouse books a couple years ago. Oddly enough, I recently watched the first season of TrueBlood(finished it yesterday) It's not even similar to the book I read! It took me almost 8 episodes to realize I recognized that names. Although I did start in the middle of the books.

How do you feel about the show?

I love the books, and the show as well. I started watching I think halfway through the first season (the first scene I ever saw was Sookie's freak-out at her Gran's funeral... intense!) and was instantly addicted. I found the books to be very well-written and engaging. I could easily finish most of a book in a day.

I think whoever's writing/producing the show is doing a really great job of picking out little parts of the books in random order and entwining them all together in show so that they still work. Although sometimes it's a little confusing to figure out "hmm, did we see this character before? What was their name?" but at the same time it's interesting and fun to try to decode where they'll take the storyline further on into the season, since even though they take elements from the books, they don't really blatantly copy them. Take Tara's character for example... she's hardly touched upon in the books, but in the show she's a main character.

Did you see the season 3 premiere last night? Eep! I won't spoil it if you haven't. :laughingsmiley:

I read...a LOT. Mostly non-fiction and classics, but let's try to narrow that down to my favorites.

The Ancestor's Tale by Richard Dawkins has to be really up for there. It's EPIC and traces evolution backwards through history in a Canterbury Tales sort of pilgrimage.

For fiction, The Metamorphosis by Kafka is one of my favorites, but it honestly depresses me. Whenever I re-read it I go through a few days feeling like the dirt on the underside of a car. Strange how a story that could make me feel so awful is loved by me so very much.

I'm a HUGE Carl Sagan fan, so let's just throw all of his books in there, which are enjoyable every time.

I love the science fiction of Arthur C. Clarke, particularly the 2001 and Ranma series. They're like junk food to me, I devour his books by the pound.

I feel obliged to mention Chuck Palahniuk, since I've met the man numerous times. Fight Club, Haunted and Invisible Monsters were DEF his best. I've been sadly disappointed by his most recent books, but I think he's coming back to his old style.

I feel obliged to mention Chuck Palahniuk, since I've met the man numerous times. Fight Club, Haunted and Invisible Monsters were DEF his best. I've been sadly disappointed by his most recent books, but I think he's coming back to his old style.

Yes yes yes!!! Haunted was fantastic. I have to say, the first night I had it I left it on my desk when I went to bed. And then I opened my eyes in the dark and saw the glow-in-the-dark cover with the face staring back at me, and I was CREEPED! OUT! o_O hahaha. I don't think I've read Invisible Monsters... hm. I read a whole bunch of his books in a short amount of time, so I think I may have gotten some of them confused.

But yeah I really enjoyed Haunted, for sure. Great concept and as always, included totally ridiculous and yet somehow completely believable characters. Fight Club of course was wonderful, as was Lullaby... and how did you feel about Choke? I really loved the book. Have you seen the movie? I think they could have done a much better job. :guiltysmiley: It was pretty disappointing, haha. I could talk about it probably all day, lol :laughingsmiley:

Yes yes yes!!! Haunted was fantastic. I have to say, the first night I had it I left it on my desk when I went to bed. And then I opened my eyes in the dark and saw the glow-in-the-dark cover with the face staring back at me, and I was CREEPED! OUT! o_O hahaha. I don't think I've read Invisible Monsters... hm. I read a whole bunch of his books in a short amount of time, so I think I may have gotten some of them confused.

But yeah I really enjoyed Haunted, for sure. Great concept and as always, included totally ridiculous and yet somehow completely believable characters. Fight Club of course was wonderful, as was Lullaby... and how did you feel about Choke? I really loved the book. Have you seen the movie? I think they could have done a much better job. :guiltysmiley: It was pretty disappointing, haha. I could talk about it probably all day, lol :laughingsmiley:

The movie Choke was pretty good...except for the whole IMPORTANT HUGE rock-wall building scene that they left out. Chuck even told the director that he could change whatever he wanted, just not that scene, and of course that's the one thing we don't see.

Holy crap, I know what you mean about the book glowing in the dark. I had the same thing happen to me a few years ago and needless to say, that cover stays in my bookcase now! :P Invisible Monsters is amazing, I highly suggest it. Actually, I really suggest anything that isn't Pygmy, hah. (I LOVED the concept but the execution was pretty poor. I guess he felt like experimenting with a different way of writing and I'm glad it's out of his system now, haha.)

Have you ever heard Chuck READ "Guts"? I've heard him say in both in person an on mp3, and oi oi oi. It's a trip. It's one thing to read it to yourself alone and another to HEAR it. It was after hearing him that I understood how people could have fainted by hearing that.

If you ever get the chance to go to one of his readings, GO! Even if you're not a huge fan it's a LOT of fun. He throws presents out the crowd, there are a lot of questions, stories are read, whiskey is consumed (uhhh, at the last one I went to anyway, haha) and it's tons of fun. Plus, he's the sweetest guy ever.

Aaaand, my ramble is done (for now). :P

I love the whole fantasy type of series. With magic, dragons, fighting, all that sort of good stuff. I also love fantasy scfy, if that's the name for it. I have no clue. I've read the Percy Jackson series, and LOVED them. The last book was probably my favorite. I've seen the movie, but it sucked. I've also read the Harry Potter books, not all of them though, stopped halfway in the 5th book? Not sure why. Inkheart series are also very good! I spent hours reading them. XD The last series I read was George and the Overlander. I got to the last book, but for some reason, I stopped reading it.

Have you ever heard Chuck READ "Guts"? I've heard him say in both in person an on mp3, and oi oi oi. It's a trip. It's one thing to read it to yourself alone and another to HEAR it. It was after hearing him that I understood how people could have fainted by hearing that.

If you ever get the chance to go to one of his readings, GO! Even if you're not a huge fan it's a LOT of fun. He throws presents out the crowd, there are a lot of questions, stories are read, whiskey is consumed (uhhh, at the last one I went to anyway, haha) and it's tons of fun. Plus, he's the sweetest guy ever.

Wow, this sounds like an amazing time! I'm a little jealous :P I know that a friend of mine went to see him when he was in Toronto, I think it was last year or something. It was a while ago. I'll try to make it next time he's around:yes:

And yeah, they did leave out a pretty important part about the wall and its significance. Add that to list of things that weren't so great about that movie, haha.

I lost interest in Harry Potter a long time ago, I got tired of the structure of the books.

Someone mentioned Maximum Ride, and I have to agree that those books are very enjoyable.

The Uglies Series is one of my favorites.

There's a really good book by Pete Hautman called Rash. I liked it a lot.

I just finished this interesting book called Impossible by Nancy Werlin. It was super good, even though it has to deal with a curse and junk.

The series I'm most recommending is Matthew Reilly's. (It's the Jack West series) There's 3 books: 7 Deadly Wonders, 6 Sacred Stones, and 5 Greatest Warriors. They're amazing.

• 1 month later...

My favorite books are: Perfume: Story of a Murderer, Memoirs of a Geisha, Bridges of the Madison County, Frankenstein and In Cold Blood.

This topic has been edited by a member of staff (Spritzie) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Please don't bump topics over 21 days old.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

Per the reason above, this topic has been LOCKED. Please contact Spritzie if you have any questions regarding this action.