Neopian Wars

jlt12889

It's been quite a while since we've had a real war was the Curse of Maraquan War in 2005 (?) and the Battledome has been neglected in general. I think the Darigan and Maraquan wars were some of my best times on neopets, but the problem is that neopets, as a general trend, is targeting younger players who probably will not have very strong pets. So the question is, do you think that neopets will ever have a war again?

Edit: I just realized that this could also go into the battledome sub-forum since wars are plots that include a battledome aspect to it. Up to admins to decide whether to move this.

People keep saying that TNT confirmed in an Editorial that there would never be a war again, but no one I've met has been able to produce said Editorial. Someone showed me an Editorial that said there wouldn't be any wars anytime soon (in 2006), but that doesn't necessarily mean there won't ever be another war. If that is the alleged Editorial, then, well. . . it proves nothing.

Contrary to popular belief, I still see Neo as a family site, and I don't think TNT is "kiddyfing" the site. If they were aiming Neo at kids, why don't they just remove the Battledome and all the violent games? Besides, the Daily Dare Staff Tourney seems like something that the younger users wouldn't care much about (I doubt they would understand the humor behind their quotes, either).

I think the main reason for this war drought is that they're a little unfair. It's often the oldest, richest users on the site that have the most powerful pets, and they have a huge advantage in wars, since they can afford the best weapons and shrug off the inevitable Codestone inflation. In the end, the rich users get the best prizes, so the Neopian elite gets richer, while everyone else gets nowhere. I know many, many users complained about that, hence the new system in the Maraqua plot. From what I've heard, that failed, too. I forget why, though.

Will there be another war? Assuming the alleged Editorial is the one I mentioned earlier, then it's possible. However, I don't see one happening unless they revamp they Battledome and/or add some kind of NC component to the Battledome.

Like a Pokémon type Battles.

How would it be like Pokemon battles?

Neopets battles are like Pokemon battles and any other turn based RPG battles.

Who ever has better equips, stats, and moves wins. I don't see how thats unbalanced.

Who ever has better equips, stats, and moves wins. I don't see how thats unbalanced.

Yes, but it's usually the richer users on the site that can afford the better equips, stats, and moves. Those billionaires on the Battle chat have a huge advantage over everyone else in wars, because they can afford tons of Codestones and the best weapons. Obviously, they're going to do better in wars and therefore, get the better prize. In the end, that just makes the rich richer, while everyone else gets nowhere. THAT is why wars are unfair.

Also, Neo isn't turn-based. o.O

Yes, but it's usually the richer users on the site that can afford the better equips, stats, and moves. Those billionaires on the Battle chat have a huge advantage over everyone else in wars, because they can afford tons of Codestones and the best weapons. Obviously, they're going to do better in wars and therefore, get the better prize. In the end, that just makes the rich richer, while everyone else gets nowhere. THAT is why wars are unfair.

Also, Neo isn't turn-based. o.O

you know, thats the way it is with real wars as well. and besides.. what do you want TNT about it? give out free np for the war? richer players should reap the benefits of their savings i say.

I have to admit I agree with fusilla - those kind of amassed savings take a lot of time and effort to build up on neopets, if someone has put in that kind of work into the site then it's unfair to try to penalise them for it, or give a helping hand to those who haven't (myself included).

I've seen this debate before, and honestly it's a very cyclical one. :/ It isn't fair to completely alienate users that chose not to train their pets, simply because they're not interested in the Battledome, but it isn't fair to limit the Battledomers, either. I suppose it all depends on what one thinks is less unfair. *shrug*

Many people complained about the rich getting richer after other war plots, and really, when the Neopian economy is as messed up as it is right now, do we really need a wider gap between the Neopian elite and everyone else? There are people who have BILLIONS for goodness sake.

If they do another war, it should be like CoM, where everyone can participate.

I've never experienced a Neopian war (sadly), then again, I do not think I would be able, or have the patience, to train my pets high or buy expensive weapons. I am sad for all the avatars I have missed out on! :O

As for reintroducing them... I guess I would not mind.

Yes, they could do a double front war again, just like the curse of maraquan war, where there were battlers and supporters. That way both battlers and non-battlers can participate in the war. I really liked the support system because it was a combination of games and quests. People without a lot of neopoints could play games to support their team while rich supporters could complete item quests for points.

On my old account (which i don't remember the password for), back in the darigan-meridell war, i did not know anything about help sites or anything at all. i just randomly joined the darigan side, and fought the chia clown a half-dozen times for a few points towards my side. i'd never trained my pet much, i just bought an immense rubber axe of doom and went at it. i had fun, didn't know anything about anything. i feel like that is the state of the average neopets user, where they don't know much about the depth of the game, and have only like 50k in their bank account. the more advanced opponents were for the more advanced users. i didn't know anything about prizes, and didn't care, i was just having fun.

On my old account (which i don't remember the password for), back in the darigan-meridell war, i did not know anything about help sites or anything at all. i just randomly joined the darigan side, and fought the chia clown a half-dozen times for a few points towards my side. i'd never trained my pet much, i just bought an immense rubber axe of doom and went at it. i had fun, didn't know anything about anything. i feel like that is the state of the average neopets user, where they don't know much about the depth of the game, and have only like 50k in their bank account. the more advanced opponents were for the more advanced users. i didn't know anything about prizes, and didn't care, i was just having fun.

That sounds like me back in 2006 when I started on this account. I just played for the heck of it. I guess I'm a more advanced neo-user now.

I would love a war. I however am not a rich neopian but i do play key quest when i get a chance and thats lots of potential for codestones. I have been training (or trying to fix what the lab did to one of my pets) for a while now. However i don't have any main codestones in my SDB for me to just use so i will wait until i find one or win one to continue training. :offtopic:

However a war would be awesome. I have never competed in one. I don't really think i could do much considering my highest trained pet is level 40 but i think its more of a participation that really matters. I don't think wars are unfair to the rich or the battledome people. They spend their hard earned np on that and they should be rewarded for that just the same as someone who spends their time and np on customizing their neopets should get recognized for that too. No one can be the best at everything.

As idriya said I haven't heard of anyone who can come up with said article saying there would be no wars from then on. I personally don't think there is such an article. I think there will be a war just not for awhile. Hopefully enough time to allow me to train some.

Yes, they could do a double front war again, just like the curse of maraquan war, where there were battlers and supporters. That way both battlers and non-battlers can participate in the war. I really liked the support system because it was a combination of games and quests. People without a lot of neopoints could play games to support their team while rich supporters could complete item quests for points.

The quests should be more varied, though, since those items inflated to insane prices.

Also, IIRC, the supporters really got the short end of the stick. Their trophies weren't as fancy as the battlers, and their prizes weren't as good. The battlers got some pretty nice weapons for their top prize, and the supporters got. . . Petpets (specifically, the Marafin for the Maraqua side and this ugly bulldog looking thing for the Pirate side). Great. -_- Not that the supporters should have gotten the weapons, too, but something better than Petpets. I didn't spend hours playing Attack of the Revenge for a silly Marafin. xD

Are we just saying "Forget about the newbies" then? It isn't fair to completely exclude them from wars, and, well, there's no way they'd be able to do anything with a freshly created pet. I'm not say they should be able to beat the war boss and win a prize like the DSoD with a new pet, but at least let them do SOMETHING besides beat the weakest guy like three times. THAT'S what I mean.

New players can not compete on Neopets. I feel like that is a fact-there are too many limited-time promotions, items whose price is inflated, etc. You need to have a lot of money to be competitive in any individual aspect of the site, be it stamp collecting, battledome, avatars, fancy decorations, or countless others. The one area where you do not need an investment is high scores in games, and they have added competitions to that area. There will always be a difference between those who have put large amounts of previous investment into the game and those who do not have the same commitment.

The question is how to lower the barrier of entry into some of the higher areas, where a new player can gain some kind of an edge as opposed to a millionaire. Even if training pets were free, for wars, the time commitment to training your pet is insane. you have to check several times a day, and it will still take over a year to reach high enough battledome level for some of the challengers.

I don't really know what I am trying to say, i'm just rambling. Neopets is designed to be open-ended, and some people will not care about certain areas of the game, meaning that if a focus comes up in an area they don't care about, they will not profit from it.

• 2 years later...

I had been trying to find out a place discussing a war, and this was the latest one I can find. I do think that Neopets should bring out another war. In regards to widening the gap between elitists and regular Neopians, I think it is completely unfair for people to invest heavily into BD weapons, stats just so they can allow others to quickly follow them. Living in a capitalist society, I think it is only fair to mirror that in Neopets.

Look, if you work hard, you can get to the top. This works the society, and I believe this may work for Neopets as well. No one said it was easy starting late, but you cannot give "affirmative action" to those who had a late start. People just tend to abuse these affirmative action priviledges.

If people are against the wars for widening the gaps, should avatars, record holding games be demolished as well?

I had been trying to find out a place discussing a war, and this was the latest one I can find. I do think that Neopets should bring out another war. In regards to widening the gap between elitists and regular Neopians, I think it is completely unfair for people to invest heavily into BD weapons, stats just so they can allow others to quickly follow them. Living in a capitalist society, I think it is only fair to mirror that in Neopets.

Look, if you work hard, you can get to the top. This works the society, and I believe this may work for Neopets as well. No one said it was easy starting late, but you cannot give "affirmative action" to those who had a late start. People just tend to abuse these affirmative action priviledges.

If people are against the wars for widening the gaps, should avatars, record holding games be demolished as well?

lol. Last week I just spent 2 million on weapons for my battle pet. And I even spent more though codestones.

Neo gives everyone the opportunity to get neopoints, learn to restock, flash games, habi, key quest. If people are poor on neo it's because they're not putting the effort in, plain and simple. So the rich shouldn't be penalised because of that.

then use your codestones to train. xD

This post has been edited by a member of staff (Spritzie) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Please keep your posts at 7 words or above.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.