What is your favourite or current book?

dazedANDconfused

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Currently reading The Golden Compass, trying to see what is so anti-Christ about 'His Dark Materials'.

It's really not all that Anti-Christ-y. I've read it, and I've never thought it was bad at all. I mean, seriously, it's just a fiction novel. It was something to make it interesting. I think the only real objectionable thing would be that everyone has a daemon and that

God dies

in the end. But it's a story, pure work of fiction. I don't know why people go around treating it as if it were trying to be sold as fact.

I actually just finished Inkdeath, and I really would recommend the Ink______ series. The first would be Inkheart. It's a very good book.

Just finished reading Lolita, it was... interesting. Also finished reading, South: The Antarctic Expedition, by Sir Edmund someone or rather. It was quite interesting. Now have started to read Perfume (another classic...)

Am giving myself a small break from Terry Pratchett as I figure while I break there might be 2 books out by the time I get back to reading him ;)

Just finished reading Lolita, it was... interesting. Also finished reading, South: The Antarctic Expedition, by Sir Edmund someone or rather. It was quite interesting. Now have started to read Perfume (another classic...)

My friend would like you. She's currently reading Lolita and she loves Perfume (the movie version, at least. I don't know if she's read the book.)

It's way too difficult to pick just one "favorite book", but if there's one book I could just read over and over again, it would be "The Hobbit", by J.R.R. Tolkien. There's nothing better than curling up with a well written fantasy book.

By the way, are there any "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" fans here? If you haven't heard the news yet, Eoin Colfer (the author of the "Artemis Fowl" series) is writing a sixth installment of the series, which is titled "And Another Thing..." [link]

I can't wait! :D

I just finished Unwind by Neal Shusterman, and I must say, it's one of the best books I've ever read. Not the best, but it's up there on my favorites list.

@heerozero: I heard about the new book, but I'm not sure if I want to read it. It would just seem different from Douglas Adams' style, even if his widow gave Colfer the approval, which she did.

It's really not all that Anti-Christ-y. I've read it, and I've never thought it was bad at all. I mean, seriously, it's just a fiction novel. It was something to make it interesting. I think the only real objectionable thing would be that everyone has a daemon and that

God dies

in the end. But it's a story, pure work of fiction. I don't know why people go around treating it as if it were trying to be sold as fact.

I thoroughly agree. :yes: And on top of that, the trilogy is very well written - I'd recommend it to anybody who likes fantasy with a slight blend of science-fiction.

I actually just finished Inkdeath, and I really would recommend the Ink______ series. The first would be Inkheart. It's a very good book.

Hmm... is it a coincidence that AA3's sitting beside me reading Inkdeath right now? I think not! :P

I'm really liking Scott Westerfeld's books right now, especially Peeps.

Yeah I read Peeps. It was a pretty good book. When you're done with that one I recommend you pick up the Midnighters series by him. It's one of my favorites.

I actually just finished Inkdeath, and I really would recommend the Ink______ series. The first would be Inkheart. It's a very good book

I actually picked it up at Sam's Club yesterday because I remembered that someone had said it was a good book on here lol ....i didnt have enough money to get it *over $300 in groceries lol* but i will be picking them up....is there more than 3 out currently?

If you mean the Ink series, then no, it ends with the 3rd book, Inkdeath.

The books go in this order:

Inkheart

Inkspell

Inkdeath

I don't know why the books are named the way they are, but I have a couple theories. In the second book,

Mo binds a book for Adderhead that makes him immortal.

I'm not sure, but I think

the words he has to write to kill the Adderhead are heart, spell, and death.

It could also be for the first book that the problem of the story is that Mo read out characters from Inkheart. And for the last one, it may be called Inkdeath because

it involves a lot of death. I mean, Mo dies, and makes a deal with death, the Piper dies, the Adderhead dies, Dustfinger comes back to life, Death threatens to kill Meggie, and the whole story basically revolves around Death.

Haven't read Inkdeath yet. -refrains self from looking up spoilers-

I did just finish reading Phantom of the Opera. It was an amazing book, nothing like what the ALW musical or movie adaptions were. (Though I did like the musical too.) I have a week to read the Divine Comedy and Beowulf for school.

I finished the Golden Compass and you guys are right, it's not anti-Christ-y at all! Although I felt the ending was rushed, it was a good ending nonetheless. I don't know if I should still watch the movie version, considering how some people thought it was a really bad adaptation of it. Moving on to The Subtle Knife now!

Heh, the ending wasn't really rushed in my opinion - it was just written to set things up for the rest of the trilogy. :P Seriously, you should read the other books. :yes:

The actual name for the book is 'Northern Lights' by the way. The American publishers named it 'The Golden Compass' because of an administrative error (which stuck). xD

My favourite book must be the Harry Potter series by Joanna Kathleen Rowling. And J.R.R. Tolkien, the writer of the "hobbit" and "he lord of the rings". there is also this book with the title of " Losing you", everybody MUST read it cuz it is what I call a THRILLER. maked you sit on the edge of youe chair. really cool book/ dont remember the authors name though...

My favorite book is also the Harry Potter books by JK Rowling. I've been a fan of them since 3rd grade but because the 7th book came out I haven't been as obsessed with them.

Currently I'm reading All Quiet On The Western Front for my World Lit class and a lot of my friends say that's its their favorite book so I have high hopes.

I'm also currently readying Inkheart. Actually, I just read the first chapter but I have to read All Quiet On The Western Front first. Inkheart seems very well written.

I read the His Dark Materials series last summer and it was awesome. The ending was really sad. =(

I have lots of authors that I like.Let's see: I like almost all the books written by Alexandre Dumas, then is A.J Cronin,James Clavell,Boris Bindei and Winnetou by Karl May. ^_^

• 2 weeks later...

I'm reading Defiance by Nechama Tec. It's a very good book :yes:

I also just finished reading the first book from the Missing Series called Found, by Margaret Peterson Haddix. It, too, was very good.

Wow! This is a really hard one for me. I am such a bibliophile :* ! I probably read three to eight new books a week and I'll try any thing once (from biography to romance, political to fantasy). I've always looked up to Tolkien as an author. (He inspired to and a few of my friends to make up our own language.) "Kathy's Book" is a very interesting story of a more recent sort. It's kind of a book and a big interactive game at the same time. There are fictional places listed in the book that you can google and "see". "The Giver" was a book that affected me pretty profoundly. It really shaped who I am as a person now, and made me realize that there is no such thing as 'utopia'. I could go on, but I think that is enough for now. If any one wants to hear more of my book choices, feel free to pm me ^_~!

I read the His Dark Materials series last summer and it was awesome. The ending was really sad. =(

I fully agree with that! The series was beautiful, but the ending was soo sad.