The Cat Thread

Novelista

I love a thread that has the potential to go on forever...and ever...xD

You might be a cat-parent if the words, "Stop, cat! I'm going to pee my pants! *uncontrollable laughter*" means anything to you.

(At least, I hope you have a relationship like that with your cats!)

Oh gosh..my cats O.o

My cat Cricket is so huge that when we have guests over their first remark is usually something like "is he actually that big or is that just his fur??" I can't even pick him up he's so heavy :X

I always get a kick out of his baby pictures...even if he could never sit still

DSCN2507-1.jpg

and this is what I like to title his "first selfie"

DSCN2524.jpg

*squeals*: IT'S SO ADORABLE!

Oh my goodness.

Well, I'm lazy, so I'll copypasta part of a PM (from me) from another site. :P

(1:28a ET, this morning)

My dad's cat (Ani) has--up 'til this point--been in the basement all night. About 12:30, I went to check on her and saw something moving on the wall when I was about to leave.

"Oh my god...is that a mouse or a really big spider?!"

I waited for it to move and it was a mouse! I've never seen a mouse climb up the wall! (Our basement walls are rough and cut to look like brick, so I guess it's no wonder it was climbing to get away from her!) I said, "Hello!" and talked to it about getting it outdoors. I grabbed a box (we reuse shipping boxes) and tried to coax it in, but it wouldn't go. I looked around and saw a mop handle and tried to knock it in...I knocked it off, instead. tongue.png

I encouraged Ani to get it, but she just chased it into the big room where we store stuff. tongue.png | She cornered it and it started climbing the walls again...and Ani starts wrapping around my legs, purring up a storm.

Meanwhile, I'm laughing to beat the band and swearing my dad is going to wake up because I'm cracking up so hard and talking to both the mouse and the cat!

A couple of times, I said, "Stop, cat! I'm going to pee my pants!"

Finally, I managed to knock it off the wall and into the box. I took it upstairs and chucked it outside...and I'm wondering why I didn't just use the walkout door in the basement. (Although Ani probably would've gone out after it, if I had.)

That doesn't sound quite as funny on paper, but I thought it was hilarious. xD

I don't have a cat (it's about the only type of pet I don't have), but yours is adorable Shelley!

If I ever get a cat, I want a ragdoll. I don't know why, they're just my favorite breed of cat. Well, besides savannah cats, but those are illegal in many states because they're a hybrid.

Wow, now I'm curious: what pets do you have? :D

And wow, I had no idea savannah cats could be illegal. I don't think this law exists in my country, but then again savannahs are so rare and expensive out here that I have never seen an owner...

I hope someday they manage to breed toygers so they look kind of like white tigers.

loverboy%201.jpg

Searching, I learned that they are breeding white toygers...but they look pretty silvery to me...

59b266d24da925db48292fecfb1afde2.jpg

How can you resist that face?! AWW! <3

I know toygers are bred to look a lot like little tigers. I can't remember what the article said, but I'm sure the primary focus is on their stripes. (It looks like a thickening of the mackerel pattern of tabby.)

Savannahs are a cross between a house cat and a wild feline called a serval. One of the first few episodes I saw of My Cat from Hell had a pair of Savannahs, actually, and Jackson (the host/behaviorist) explained that Savannahs have levels that indicate how far they are from an actual serval. (I think one was an F3 and one was an F5--meaning three generations from a serval and five, respectively.) I can't remember what he said about the laws regarding the levels, but Wikipedia said that most countries don't have restrictions on Savannahs that are F2 and later.

Based on what I see on Google, Asheras are nothing more than falsely advertised Savannahs.

Guest Sabs

Omg, these cats and kittens are adorable! :D I don't know anything about white toygers, but they are cuties for sure!!

I have one cat now, and she is 14 years old! :) She's an Orange Tabby. I need to find some pics, and post them. It's funny when she sits up on the ouch like a human being, watching TV. lol

This has been my desktop screen for quite some time. Just too cute.

97p5e9.png

Wow, now I'm curious: what pets do you have? :D

A dog (Staffordshire Terrier), a bearded dragon, four mice, and eleven chickens. So, I've got canines, rodents, reptiles and birds all covered, haha, just need a cat. xP My dad would never go for that, though, and I don't know how my dog would react to a cat in the house. Although, she did well with our disabled chicken the other day. Either he fluttered out or she took him out of the large box he was in (he was recovering inside from getting stuck in the rain, and we were afraid the other chickens might have been picking on him at that time). At that point she could have picked him up and shook him around like she does with her stuffed pig, but all she did was lick him. He was very wet but otherwise unharmed. So, she might be okay with a cat, although I imagine she would be very excited at first.

You said you have a cat who thinks she's human, Sabs?

Like this? ;)

250544_10150270112840853_7998471_n.jpg

Slightly concerned about Lauren today...found her chilling in the office...not normal. Then she spent a little time in the office doorway (which is normal) and now she's under the antique radio (also normal). I guess I'll have to watch her eating/drinking and to see if she goes out. If she doesn't go out today, she's definitely sick! O.o

Also, Ani:

1512760_10152169006735853_198813691_n.jp

(Dad's cat)

Ani is being herself. No worries there. :)

I have a question for you guys about your cats. How social are they? I know personalities vary, but most of the cats I've known have been content to go hide somewhere and not really interact with people until they need food or want to go outside. I guess I'm used to dogs, which are very social creatures. Would you say most cats enjoy being around people, in your experience, or has my past experience been correct that they prefer being sort of solo?

I only ask because my boyfriend really wants a cat once we have our own place together, and I'm totally up for it, but I don't know what to expect since I've never had one. Most of my pets over the years have been dogs.

I think it must really depend on the breed and temperament, because I've heard a lot of different stories.

Most of our cats have been relatively friendly. Lilli was shy and hid a lot when we had company, but she didn't like people because she was mistreated when she was younger. In fact, when she passed away, Dad found her on the rug in his basement workshop.

Lauren tends to hide until she knows who it is. She used to be a little more outgoing, but since Ani moved in, Lor decided that she was the "old lady" of the house and acts a bit differently now.

Ani is friendly and greets everyone who comes in the door, but she's also part Abyssinian, which is a high-energy (and apparently very people-loving) breed. In fact, I think I saw Abys on a list of "the most doglike breeds" a few months ago. (Just searched for it...Yahoo posted it in December.)

Woohoo! An excuse to share pics of my furbabies?! Yes please.

1zvxqo9.jpg

That's my Finch. In the kitchen sink because he's my mischievous one.

243raxd.jpg

And this is my Dinah!

I have a question for you guys about your cats. How social are they? I know personalities vary, but most of the cats I've known have been content to go hide somewhere and not really interact with people until they need food or want to go outside. I guess I'm used to dogs, which are very social creatures. Would you say most cats enjoy being around people, in your experience, or has my past experience been correct that they prefer being sort of solo?

Both of our cats prefer to keep to themselves when we have company, but if you give them enough time they're content to come around. I think a lot of it is similar to the concept of socializing a new puppy - if you expose them to it when they're young they will do better. My husband and I have 5 nieces and nephews - the youngest is only 8 so she still can be pretty energetic around animals. We've had the kids around the cats since we got them and our kitties have no issues with the kids when they are at our place. Dinah is definitely more skittish generally speaking but after a bit she will come out and visit too.

Cats can have varied personalities, just like dogs and people. Some cats like to be on or near you as often as possible. Some are cool with only seeing you when it's feeding time. Some alternate, sitting on your lap one day and sleeping under the bed all day the next. Some will totally adore you and want to be around you a lot, but will dislike strangers or certain kinds of people and will hide when you have company over.

When you get one, I'd say go to a shelter and interact with all the cats there. Some will walk right up and play, others will be more wary, and sometimes a cat will latch onto you (literally or metaphorically) and you'll just have to take them home. Don't be afraid to adopt a cat that's a few years old, as they really need homes. Kittens are cute but a slightly older cat is more likely to be box or house trained all ready and it's more apparent what their final size and temperament will be.

Also since pics are happening....

This is Scooter!

14t0e2a.jpg

Sorry big pic

All cats at my parents, that I have known, have been rescue's. (thrown out a car, found motherless wandering around factories at an age were they still needed milk, abandoned or lost trying to find food at our house etc)

Some of them were reserved and would only come if they felt like it (mostly the one that got thrown out of the car, I suspect it was really mistreated before we took it in) others would hang around us all the time. But I've never really felt it to be true what some people claim: cats only love you when they get food. We had a dog too, but it didn't feel to me as if you got more love from the dog than from the cat. But then again, I'm a cat person so I might misjudge it a bit.

Here's a (really big) pic of 2 we had at some point, I have more but most are with people on it too, so I won't post those :P

too big to post the pic, I'll just post the url:

Picture here

Scooter is a beautiful cat! I had a black cat named Rhiannon once...my mother didn't like her name, so she called her Scooter. :P

I absolutely agree with cats latching onto you literally...Lauren wrapped her arms around my wrist and and started licking when she met me! :D

The humane society is like Barnes & Noble for cats...except I can leave B&N without a book. No guarantee on the humane society. xD

I absolutely agree with cats latching onto you literally...Lauren wrapped her arms around my wrist and and started licking when she met me! :D

When I first met Emilyat the shelter, I was actually poking my finger thru the cage to play with another kitty... but then she just came to me and HELD my finger with both her paws! She didn't let go either. It was on that moment that I knew: she was THE one! <3

i hope these images dont blow up huge(sorry if they do) haha but im a cat parent to Ella Bella,Bojangles and Bean(in order)! they like playing in water...stealing socks and eating my food.

April2975copycopy_zpsb4b56ec8.jpgApril2998copycopy_zps21cd1682.jpgApril29124copycopy_zpsfd6d63c6.jpg