Oh, this'll be fun >_>

GillyTook

I've tried using the battledome before, ages ago, yet couldn't figure it out/never got very far.  That was before they re-vamped it, though, and since I'm having fun with the wraith, and the easy guys from the obelisk war, I figured I may as well try to get to where I can fight more regularly.  Right now I'm at level 56 with 66 str. 62 def (in training right now) 62 mov (which I've read is useless) and 20 HP.  I also got one of the free level 0 faerie abilities (static cling?) and have only got an obsidian dagger, and the two free weapons from the plot.

I was thinking to up my def/str to the max at this level, and to start working on HP, too.  Then just gradually up it once I get to the max for my current level.

With regards to equipment, though. . . when the battlepedia lists a set, does that mean you have to get everything from that set, or can you get, like, one shield, plus a couple of weapons to be set?

You can mix and match.  I never grasped the use of dual duties or one-use stuff.  The plot weapons are not bad.  Scroll of Ultranova would be better than the devilish laughter one on non-wraith opponents.  Yooyu Knuckle Duster is good.

Get Lens Flare ability right now.  It will freeze your opponent, so you can use two weapons with it and not have to defend or take damage.

I'm a big fan of scrolls of knowledge too.  They're buyable.  Once I started getting more into the battledome, I pretty much exclusively used two of those and lens flare and fought only what I could one-shot :P

Scroll of Knowledge is a constant, not a one-use. (11 icons)

Searching for 'scroll of knowledge', matching 'Scroll of Knowledge'...
Owner Stock Price
chrip_blaziken 1 48,888 NP
makinitlast 1 49,999 NP

Yooyu Knuckle duster is currently the same price (price halved since start of war) and does a few more icons. (14)

Searching for 'yooyu knuckle duster', matching 'Yooyu Knuckle Duster'...
Owner Stock Price
jy_side 2 49,000 NP
monkey_doodle28 84

50,000 NP

The corrosive spear wand from the plot still does more damage than the scroll of knowledge, 10-16, I think?  Maybe 11-16, I haven't done a lot with it since they messed it up.  So, it's generally better than scroll, not so much better than yooyu.  I'd recommend using it, and getting a yooyu for your secondary.  

The scroll of ultranova I mentioned above is what I recommend as a starter weapon when you don't want to invest any in your BD set.  it's 9.8 icons, but only 2k, and I think that's mostly because it's rarity is 96 and people are hoping Charity corner will ask for Battledome equipment this year.  Premium members get them from battledome.

28 minutes ago, GillyTook said:

What are icons?  Are they the same as damage done to your opponent?

They are a factor of the damage done (or blocked for shields)

http://www.thedailyneopets.com/battledome/strength-defense-boosts/

That chart tells what your icon multiplier is based on what your strength/defence is.  You multiply that number by the number of icons to get the total you can do (though if they are blocking, their defence numbers would be subtracted...) The icons are also the type of damage, which is important if you are factoring in blocking (I do with opponent frozen)

http://www.thedailyneopets.com/battledome/damage-calculator/ This will do the calculation for you.  But the chart above is more helpful to let you know your goals for training.

Ahhh, gotcha!  That's kinda neat. 

It's a safe bet to just try to train to/keep everything as even as possible, right, aside from movement, which I've read doesn't really do much of anything?  And eventually (when I've won WAY more neopoints!) get up to 750 for everything, and as high as I can go in HP?  And of course eventually upgrade the weaponry.  I grabbed the yooyu knuckle duster for now.  I figure I'll upgrade eventually when I get a bit more experience.

Movement is not worthwhile, true.   I like to keep everything fairly even, but if you look at those tiers, you'll see that between say the 55 boost you have and the 85 boost that's next, each point of strength and defense does nothing (except get you closer to the boost).   So you might want to work on one toward the boost first.  BUT, 85 will put you into the next codestone bracket, and out of dubloon training, and you don't want to pay more for your training.  So you have to watch that too. http://www.thedailyneopets.com/battledome/mystery-island-training/  So, you want to train everything almost to 80 first. Don't train one too close before you do the others.  You don't want to have a bonus point or a faerie quest bump you into the next bracket too soon. 

Oh, wait, you are already in the 50s.  I'll leave the info for later training and anyone else watching.  So, I'd train strength to 85, and then defence to 85, with endurance thrown in, and etc.

On 11/27/2017 at 8:39 AM, GillyTook said:

Yeah, random events have bumped me up into the 50s for levels.  Not cool, since now I'm paying more for training, but can't really do anything about it now.

Well, if you are up and online at midnight NST, you could always try to lose some levels by playing Deadly Dice with Count Von Roo of Roo Island. You could win levels or lose levels. If you roll the higher number, you win a level, If lower, you lose a level, if you tie, you can either play another roll for double the stakes, or quit for the day. I've lost up to 8 or more levels, and I've gained more than 4 levels at a time playing Von Roo. You can only roll the Dice once per day, not counting ties, as Von Roo is only awake from Midnight toi 1am NST.

Movement is primarily useful for a couple items, the primary one being the Heavy Robe of Thievery, which with a movement stat of 201, and a low INT stat, I think about 35 INT, will steal one random item from your battle opponent once per battle. Though I think the Stealing function in the BD is still glitched/not working. The cheapest robe right now is between 60,000-70,000NP on the Shop Wiz.That's almost half of what I got mine for back in the day. LOL Granted, you can't use it's stealing ability now, stats-wise or BD-wise, but you could watch the price of it on the Shop Wiz and buy it when you feel you can get a good deal for it. Then you will have it when stealing is back and working, and your pet has the speed stat to use it. Just a thought, It IS a decent chunk of NP to buy one now. But the price could go higher, or lower, depending on when stealing starts working again in the BD.