Homework troubles

Psmucker3

First of all, why do you think you can't focus?

a ) You've got something else on your mind

b ) It's too hard / there's too much of it

c ) You just don't feel motivated to do it

If there's something else on your mind, don't worry about homework for a while and attend to that. If it's something you don't have control over (for example, anxiety), try doing something that will make you feel better or try talking to someone. Ask them for help, if you think it's too hard. If there's too much of it, don't worry about finishing it all at once, do some of it, and then take small breaks. And if you simply don't feel like doing it, think of a way you could reward yourself afterwards. Don't take long breaks, and listen to music while doing it (unless that takes away your concentration. For me, personally, it usually helped!).

Deb has some good suggestions.  I also had the same issues when I was doing my BSN online.  It was bad because I HAD the opportunity to procrastinate, and that is not good for someone who tends to do that.  lol.  I would say, "I will just do, whatever, now, and then I will work on my homework later."  Then later never came and I got tired.  So I said, "I will do it tomorrow."  But tomorrow never came, and it got later and later.  I finally had a monetary incentive through my job, but I had soooooo much work to do I thought I would never get it done.  I was a good thing I had that incentive, because I don't know if I would have ever gotten the work done otherwise, and that isn't like me.  So, like Deb said, first you need to figure out, WHAT is causing your loss of motivation, IF that is the problem.  For me, what I ended up doing, because I was the type of person who would spend hours and hours on my school work, and I just didn't feel like doing that at that point.  I decided, I am going to spend 30 mins on school work.  Whether it is research for my paper, actually writing the paper, studying for a test, whatever.  When I actually got started, I would always spend more than 30 minutes, because it was getting started that was the hard part.  But I wouldn't let myself go longer than 1 hour.  You get burned out that way and you can't think as well.  After that hour, take 20 mins to play a game on neopets or whatever else, then you have to do another 30 mins.  If you break it up into 30 min chunks it is more doable.  After 4, 30 min chunks, eat, drink, and take some time for yourself.  If you want to start ONE more cycle, do that.  I always made the mistake of spending hours and hours and hours doing school work.  I would get frustrated, I couldn't figure things out, and I found that when I put it down, walked away, and came back later, it would come to me much easier.  Good luck.  You will make it.  Then you will look back and be proud.  I couldn't wait until I could look back.  Here I am!

Hello fellow procastinator, Psmucker3,

You have got some excellent tips from deb  and tracy,  :rock:  and as a nOOb /rookie (who can't get out of this font  :shiftyeyes_anim:  ) I would only add that I do a LOT of online homework help, even watch Khan Academy for Math homework help. But your homework is probably much harder than my middle school stuff. Point is, the internet can help, but those other tips really help the getting started and not burning out. Really appreciate all the things I get to learn here at TDN.  :rolleyes_anim: 

I was going to suggest doing something similar to what Deb said. I find it's easier to work if you break it up into units that are manageable for you. Deb's 30 minutes are good but, if that seems too long right now, start with something really simple like, 5 minutes. 

Honestly, when it comes to doing your homework you just have to sit down and do it. Procrastinating it is only going to make things worse. Deb's advice is great! If there's something bothering you that is severe enough like anxiety then you need to deal with that accordingly. But there comes a time when you need to prioritize things. Regardless of what you have going on in your personal life, just sit down and get your assignments done.

I'm speaking from experience on this one!

I'm a stay at home mom to 2 young girls and I literally have hardly any time for myself, they keep me so busy. I'm also taking online courses working towards a certificate/credentials in accounting. I literally have to put it as a priority on my to do list and as soon as I have quiet time, when my youngest is sleeping, that is my study time. Depending on what time she falls asleep or how cranky she's been that day, I may have to prioritize other things like getting dinner ready and dishes. If that happens I try and sit down in the evening after my husband is home and study.

My best advice is just sit down and do it! If you're having problems focusing and paying attention to what you're working on go to youtube and put on some classical music for studying. That's what I do when i study to drown out any remaining distractions.