Top Story: First Major Neopets Layout Change since 1999 launch - 'Neopets 2.0'

Ian

Wow, after playing around with the site a bit, I've noticed the same thing - pets can't be 'sad'. Which, in itself, is sad. :(

Botoxpets. *snigger*

Also, my lab pet turned grey today, but it's still saying pink in the 'sidebar'. Anybody else having this problem?

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:O! It looks so cool! I love it! The only bad thing is, when site update their layouts, I always have a hard time getting around. *walks in circles*

lol *hands Myriad a map*

Now I'm getting over the shock of finding out I have to recode all my graphics, and have wandered around the site a bit... I like it :) Its modern and fresh, and pretty easy to navigate. There are a couple of things that were a bit hard to find but overall it was okay. Once the hype dies down a bit I think everyone will get used to it, just like they did for the games room.

I actually picked that neopets was getting a new layout. A couple of days before it got released i said to TJ and Anime that it was weird that the Frontpage image for roodoku was bigger. And that it had previously been smaller and they had made it bigger and rectangular. I then went on to suggest that neopets could finally be getting a new layout. But they were skeptical. Few days later i wake up and Bam! New layout. I was just going, why didn't i tell more people about my theory!!!!!! Oh well, atleast TJ has Message Logs to prove it.

To be honest, saying (and wanting to prove) you thought of something "first", after its release is a little pointless. *shrug*

And has anybody noticed the update messes up Neoboard fonts? What I mean is, the font is still there, but no colour. :(

Hmm. The customize option/lab ray don't seem to be doing well together. My brother saw a pink zafara in the pound, adopted it, went to it's pet lookup... and it had a picture of a green tuskininny instead. :eh: Aparantly it had been zapped into a tuskininny that same day. Any other problems like this?

Yes, indeedy. :) My pet (originally a Pink Lupe) was zapped Grey by the lab today, but the Pink is still prominent (actually, it appears in all pages featuring my pet, sans her own lookup). Odd. Hope it gets resolved soon. :)

My female Maraquan Moehog scares me :(

I like the layout, sure, but there are some minor greviances I have with it.

It looks too...designed for newbies, if you ask me. Designed for the young'uns.

And they've oh-so-sneakily added in more ads on some pages. I dunno, with the whole 'Neopets/Neofriends Modules' on the side, it looks a lot more categorized and such...less actual content on the page. If you understand.

And I just zapped my Maraquan Kougra into Pink, but only the description has changed - not the pet image itself - like Eric. Argh.

Edit: o.o That's just on the quick ref. The pet lookup (which looks SUPERB, by the way) has changed into a pink blob. Seriously. The female pets are so, so ugly.

Edit 2: What the. Customise is so lame. o.o

Edit THREE :O: Pet images are now flash? Ohhh boyyy. That's not good news for us newsposters. o.o Urgh. Either encoded image urls, or flash.

Well, as for my 2 cents I don't mind the new layout. There is always something I don't like about them, so it is just a matter of getting used to the new "likes" and dislikes" for me.

However - I really hate the pet redraws!! What is it with the fists? They all look so ugly with their fist up. I've already abandoned the kiko I was labbing to the pound (where I got him) because hate the way it looks as well as two other pets I have. The only one I like is my Kougra I painted Royal and now it is so small! What is the point if you can't see it well? Also if I go to my pet page there is a glaring "convert this pet" under him. I feel like I wasted my 1,750,000 np I spent on painting him - really what is worse is the two months of wasted time I spent gaining the np to paint him!! And what is the point in painting when someone could just create a pet and buy clothing for it now? The way my kougra would look if I converted it is exactly the same as the way they beta allowed you to customize it.

I think I might just get rid of all of my pets except the painted kougra. No sense in adopting them out when they aren't painted. I now also think the lab ray is completely obsolete for me. If I only get about one color change per month and I don't like most of the redraws, I could lab for years before getting a pet I like the looks of.

Presently I'm working on my shop and want to furnish my neohome nicely, so I don't care too much about pets, but still it did make the site nicer. I just wish they would drop the awful fists!

Has anyone painted a pet with a brush yet? I'm wondering what will result - the old painted look or the new look.

However - I really hate the pet redraws!! What is it with the fists? They all look so ugly with their fist up. I've already abandoned the kiko I was labbing to the pound (where I got him) because hate the way it looks as well as two other pets I have.

I'm pretty sure that they all have their hands/paws/wings/etc in fists to hold items and such. (You know, via the customization feature.) I think Neopets just has to work out a way so you can change poses, like in GaiaOnline and stuff.

I'm really not a fan of the new site at all. I loved the clean, simple, so-called "90's" look of the old design, but they probably aren't going to change it so I'm just going to have to learn to live with it. Sigh. Everything just seems so crowded and in-your-face now. I also hate all the ads. The world maps and such look a bit silly because the images aren't large enough to take up enough space now, so I wonder if they'll get redrawn?

Oh well.

I kind of miss the days when Neopets were just pets, and not little clothed half-anthropormorphic beings.

I got lucky, all my pets look fine, several of them better (though I hafta say, Kimm's eyelashes are odd looking). I wish I could figure out customizing, but I think a lot of items aren't avalible yet.

Grass_tiger, only pets painted Royal, Pirate, ect. will have the clothing options for that color. You did not 'waste' your NP on painting your Kougra. You now simply have the option to remove some of the itmes.

Personally, I think a lot of the pets look better! The lines are smoother, and while a few look kinda odd, the number that needed a redraw outweigh those that looked fine. And short of the confusion of finding things at first and a few new features and set ups, it's just the same old Neopets in a fancy new wrapper.

Has anyone else noticed that when it comes to new updates, like this, the Games Room, and the Jubjub redraw, all people do is complain?

I kind of miss the days when Neopets were just pets, and not little clothed half-anthropormorphic beings.

Well said.

I haven't noticed ads since I'm using Firefox and Firefox's ad blocker. What annoys me is that Firefox is constantly crashing on me. I'd go back to IE, but I really detest ads. I also have Premium, so perhaps the two together gets rid of all my ads.

I'm having the same probelm as you, Eric. Sweetie, a Yellow Lenny that just got zapped to Island has the Island items on, but is still yellow everywhere but her lookup. o.o

You know, I'd probably enjoy this layout more if it didn't stretch out for me still. @_@

Still, maybe the new layout is a little too updated and flashy. That's what I kinda think, anyway. It's a shame that Firefox isn't much friends with the layout....

It's getting less laggy now, IMO. :)

Good to see others are having my problem (in that I'm not alone, not that I don't empathize!)

Has anyone else noticed that when it comes to new updates, like this, the Games Room, and the Jubjub redraw, all people do is complain?

:shrug: Why not just let them complain? I mean, most have legitimate arguments. You can't talk the "free site" sense into everyone, you know. :)

Me, being mathsy-dood, has worked out a succinct formula for TNT's recent update.

x = customization

y = Neopets 2.0

x < y

Sure the site is "free", but you have to keep in mind they also sell their merchandise so if they don't "please" their audience, they will not sell. It's business. People buy their plushies, their magazines, games, etc. I think they need to offer a descent website that will bring them even more people, not scare them away. By buying their merchandise, people are supporting the site so yes they have a right to complain.

You know, I'd probably enjoy this layout more if it didn't stretch out for me still. @_@

Still, maybe the new layout is a little too updated and flashy. That's what I kinda think, anyway. It's a shame that Firefox isn't much friends with the layout....

Yeah, I agree that it's too updated and flashy! I think if they had gone midway between their clean and simple look and this new look, it would have been alright.

However, I was disappointed upon looking at my gallery that the new layout messed that up, too. I wasn't expecting that. Now the background image appears behind the entire website layout, and everything is white. I know that's kind of a vague explanation, but if you have a shop or gallery with CSS in it, I'm sure you'll know what I mean. Boo.

Hmm.... since I'm getting a flat screen monitor for my birthday, (Which is May 24, by the way) maybe the new Neopets layout will be easier on that than the monitor I'm using now. (You know, the fat bulky monitors.) And as mentioned many times before by me, the layout is excellent. It just looks stretched for me right now.