Top Story: First Major Neopets Layout Change since 1999 launch - 'Neopets 2.0'

Ian

newneopetslogo.png

Well, today, folks, marks a very big day in history - Neopets has finally redone their layout and has actually made it look modern!

You'll notice a totally new Neopets.com, including new synced content - Neopets Module, and Neofriends Online, for example - and easy-to-navigate menus added to the top bar. Massive improvements too the user lookup add to what is a very drastic change from Neopets - one of many over the last few months. Every sidebar has been redone to fit the new site. It's their first major change since their 2000 launch.

New features released include Neopets Customisation (out of beta), four new default sidebar themes, Neofriends and Neopet Module, Neopets Daily Puzzle, New Items Lists, Crisis Courier game, and more, with a Lenny Library coming soon.

Personally speaking, I think that the new layout is a breath of fresh air. The only problems I can spot on it is that certain areas of the site (e.g., the NeoBoards and NeoMail systems) look a bit weird in the new layout. I suspect that Neopets will have to redo these areas of the site to make them look more coherent with the new layout. Additionally, some major links such as Guilds, the Noticeboard, and Marketplace are missing from the main navigation at the top of the page.

Fun Fact: Did you know that approximately 97% of all Neopets accounts are inactive or frozen?

OVERALL NEW LAYOUT SCORE FROM TDN: 8/10

Hate it? Love it? Then, discuss it right here, on tdnforums.com!

-------------------

Help out TDN: We're fanatic about content. If you see any screenshots around the site that include the old site layout (games not included, unless they're web-based), please contact us so that we may update them!

UPDATE: Just to clarify, all we're looking for is pages on TDN that include images that have the old layout in them - we don't know about every single page without looking at them all! We want to retake these screenshots, to update our content accordingly :)

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello,

We're sure this is bound to be a topic of considerable interest. Please keep your comments ontopic, and in good form. If you're a guest reading this topic, why not go register? Follow the message at the top of this page!

With many thanks,

The Daily Neopets

I think I like the Neopets V.2

It was about time to have a revamp!

BUT, I noticed the site lag more...

and I'm not even speaking what the pain it will be for all graphics maker to redo their lookups or guild layouts.

Yeah. Glad it wasn't me redrawing, like, everything.

I like it, personally. Although I'm not loving the lookup change. Messed up my beatiful baby!

For those who are looking at the ALPs one right now and find it horrendous to navigate around, I apologize. Once we find a way to spruce it up to incorporate the new system, we'll have it working in no time. :)

Oh jeez. I just saw my userlookup/pet lookups. o_o I really don't like those. It killed my userlookup, and I don't like the redraws. Is there any way to make the redraws not show up on your pet lookup, or am I stuck with them?

I left my browser on Neopets for a bit, and when I refreshed I was like WOAH! I was surprised at the new layout. It's pretty nice. So far I like it.

As far as the redraws are concerned, for me, it was a semi-mini disaster. I liked the Lupe and the Ogrin redraws, they worked pretty well with the personalities I came up for them. The male Wocky redraw was a hideous deformity to my Wocky's personality (ok, so maybe I'm exaggurating little bit, but I was pretty frustrated about it). The giant, goofy eyebrows made him look like idiot. So, I had to come up with a remedy for that situation. I'm not so liking the male redraws for the Ashia, but they are livable, and I may learn to adjust. Either that, or I will have saved up enough cash to buy another morphing potion for my pet.

Mostly, right now, I think it's just... surprising. The meepit was right. I WAS NOT PREPARED! o_O

I'm gonna go with "OMG where's everything". And can anyone tell me how we use our items to customize our pets? I'm kinda lost there more than anything.

GOOD GOD I HATE CUSTIMIZATION! The new layout took out all the guild coding and they are now white =/. I like that you get a choice of colors for sidebars now. :)

AWWW where's that searching thing where you can search things. It use to be on the sidebar.

One other thing i found out is that, you can actually get more than 1k from the games, there is no limit.

(found this out through boards, haven't tried myself yet)

EDIT: Also I read this on the news

We would also like to mention that if you aren't happy with the change to any of your Neopets, don't go hunting for a morphing potion just yet! You may find justice early next week. ;)

what could be this hmmm

Well, this new layout is certainly something. I don't really mind the redrawn pets, but the new layout totally screwed up user lookups and guilds. (Zac did such a good job coding that guild. @_@) Also, the new layout STREEEEEEEETCHES the page, so it's kinda annoying to go left and right and up and down all the time. I do feel pretty bad for those who painstakingly made beautiful lookups. Some features are cool though. Like when it shows what Neofriends are online and whatnot. So frankly, we're gonna have to find some way to adjust to the new coding. *Shrugs*